Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,663 Posts
Looks like the divider is on bottom of the threads at ride height, but still on the upper part of the shaft. At full droop the divider would be off the body.
That depends on which springs are used and which is compressed more at static ride height. In my case the upper spring is compressed more and the divider never goes below the shock body despite being within 1/4" of flush. My ride height is a little too high currently and I need to reset them which will raise the divider further up.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Are there any pics of the short bottom springs available to look at? Usually the top spring is about half the length of the bottom spring. This not a set rule, just kind of a guideline. Also all spring dividers/sliders will wear the shock body.
If I Rember correctly AGM has divider/slider that is not suppose to wear the shock body. It looks fancy 😄

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I wonder how many of the guys in the thread below are going to come back on and say that the illusion of a 1000 combos is likely not the case.
If I'm one of those you are referring to here Tim, I get how that could have been read.

I wasn't trying to argue the claim one way or the other. I just put some math together for myself to "understand" how many (or few) different springs it would take to actually reach the "1000 different rates" level. 25 individual springs was all it took to reach 1000 different combos,,, which I didn't think was a ton, (knowing absolutely nothing about the topic) so I thought I'd share it.

I was just trying to give an example of how it doesn't take many of an item (mathematically speaking) to start racking up the "possibles" when dealing with combinations. (y)

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
If I'm one of those you are referring to here Tim, I get how that could have been read.

I wasn't trying to argue the claim one way or the other. I just put some math together for myself to "understand" how many (or few) different springs it would take to actually reach the "1000 different rates" level. 25 individual springs was all it took to reach 1000 different combos,,, which I didn't think was a ton, (knowing absolutely nothing about the topic) so I thought I'd share it.

I was just trying to give an example of how it doesn't take many of an item (mathematically speaking) to start racking up the "possibles" when dealing with combinations. (y)
Read that thread you will see what I mean.

I get that they MAY have quite a few options avaliable to cover variants like the example I gave of SS and that could translate to quite a few combos but the point I made in that thread was MOST cars likely fall into a few combo packages.

You're saying it's mathematical possible and I AGREE.

Again I doubt they really typically use a thousand combos.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Had a lengthy talk with both Gary Fries and Tom Morris (UTV Shocks) about an hour with each at different times today, and felt bad for taking up their time but they seemed to both want to talk and was extremely impressed with the time they took and what they had to explain and share vs what their main "competitor" offers with CS. They are currently doing a bunch of Military and also Raptor work, mostly Tom now as Gary has backed off which most know.

After shooting the shi# with fun in our past, machines, and experiences, it was interesting to hear what they had to say about needed HP with the X3 and alike SXS's, the internals of the FOX shock and what can be done. Tom as well expressed how dune riding is the most difficult to assess due to driving style and type of dunes you're riding etc.. Gary did say he was very impressed with the Pro R he just put to the test. I won't get into all the details with what they had to say about they secretiveness about spring rates but where they felt it shouldn't be left as a mystery and owners should know. What's being said by some with the numbers are correct.

Regardless, they both were great, sounds like they go way beyond what most shock builders do to the internals, and were both a hoot to shoot the shi# with!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Both fantastic guys to talk and deal with overall.

I feel like I have a completely different machine now with the work tom did to my suspension.

i ride with about 15 other x3s and most of the guys just after the first 30 minutes asked how we( there was four of us In the car) were going so fast through the rough terrain, because their x3 were a bit out of control at speed.

I feel it Is the best change and the best money I have spent I have to my x3

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
The spring rates are not magic. I would bet all the shock tuners are pretty close on their spring rates. The magic is in the valving and the other stuff the do internally to the shocks.
Did I see a write up that in Glamis forum that you had Tom do your shocks? If so any advice on what to provide, he did mention to me that dune riders are the hardest to dial in due to so many riding styles and type of dunes. I know the transitions out here on the Oregon coast go from A-Z, biggest is high/low speed chop, whoops and g-outs.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Did I see a write up that in Glamis forum that you had Tom do your shocks? If so any advice on what to provide, he did mention to me that dune riders are the hardest to dial in due to so many riding styles and type of dunes. I know the transitions out here on the Oregon coast go from A-Z, biggest is high/low speed chop, whoops and g-outs.
You will be very happy with Tom’s work. Just tell him exactly what you want the shocks to do and how you drive in the dunes. Mine was tricky because I do a lot of desert rides and the dunes. We had to find that happy medium as I carry more stuff in the desert (spare tires, axle and tools). He ended up revising my valving in the rear shocks to stiffen them more for the dunes so I can hit the transitions at good speeds and not tap the ass end. My set up is a little different then most. My last desert ride I just had to take a few turns out of the high and low speed compression and it was golden for the desert.

You can ask him what he did. Just mention Noel’s shock set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting read. I am waiting on my new machine ('22 X3 Max XRS RR) and trying to get some info on some other suspension options. I have '17 RZR XP4 Turbo I'm selling that has the full ST setup on it. From what I'm reading I'm leaning towards taking my suspension to Tom. Seems to get great reviews and there are some minor things with ST I didnt care for. Mostly the springs rapidly wearing on the pricy crossover rings and being told it's normal.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Interesting read. I am waiting on my new machine ('22 X3 Max XRS RR) and trying to get some info on some other suspension options. I have '17 RZR XP4 Turbo I'm selling that has the full ST setup on it. From what I'm reading I'm leaning towards taking my suspension to Tom. Seems to get great reviews and there are some minor things with ST I didnt care for. Mostly the springs rapidly wearing on the pricy crossover rings and being told it's normal.

Can confirm the crossover wear. I won’t be buying ST in the future.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts