Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Who here has changed the factory setting on the springs and what type of riding do you do? Results?

I was going to soften the springs up a little but now I'm second guessing myself. I went to do a few donuts on hard packed dirt with loose stuff on top. My bike has a tendency to want roll up on 2 wheels pretty quick.. It squats a lot under hard acceleration which tells me they are too soft. I primarily ride rocky trials and do some crawling... No dunes or big jumps.. I do like to ride hard and fast on the trails though...

Myron

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I'm working on this now. This is where a dual rate spring setup and proper valving will be key.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant afford to do any more upgrades on this one yet so I'm gonna play with the adjustments as much as possible... I can tell u this, the ball joints at the end of the shocks were bone dry... I greased them up and the front suspension is quiet now.. Prolly gonna do the back later in the week... I also backed out about an inch on the adjustment locking ring... Its much softer on the front... maybe a little too much but will run it after it stops raining to see how it feels...

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
That probably has more to do with why you flopped than your springs. These machines are heavy, ATV psi don't apply here unless you're in the sand. I run 17-20psi depending on conditions and it feels like its on rails. The lower tire pressure is going to give a lot of side wall roll and squat on hard turns and it will put it on two wheels more than it should. On the flip side of that your shocks need to be right or you'll get beat to death because the you can't use your low tire pressure to compensate a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ AReed,

So your saying to play with tire pressure before jacking with the spring adjustment?

Myron

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Yes, for pretty much everything except sand you should run 15psi or more. I think you'll notice that the handling is crisp and much more reactive. 12psi and less makes the machine feel lazy and sloppy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Cool... will give that a try even though the mfg recommends no more than 15 cold I think...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Mayron when we meet up looks like we need to do some tweaking on the shocks. I told my wife that its going to take a few ride to dial in the suspension.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ UNDERPSI... I'm cool with that.. I did just adjust my front ones out a bit so I need to try them out!

@ AReed.. cool... Gonna throw in 2 more tomorrow and try it out!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
OK Cool... will give that a try even though the mfg recommends no more than 15 cold I think...
I think it actually says the rears are MINIMUM 16 psi and fronts are MINIMUM 13 psi. I know I was running mine at 16 front and rear and had very little roll while cornering and I was doing some hard and tight slides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts