Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best shock setting for the Mav. I ride on more technical trails and deep ruts rocks etc... got the preload about 3/4 of the way down and the dial turned three clicks from the +.. seems like when the shocks unload hard when crossing a deep rut. So hard u can feel it hammer the suspension in the front.. what do I need to do too keep the shox from rebounding so hard? Don't want to back the springs off I'm running 30's like the ground clearance. Need to know if I can make the adjustment with the dial on the reservoir... thanks

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
What is the best shock setting for the Mav. I ride on more technical trails and deep ruts rocks etc... got the preload about 3/4 of the way down and the dial turned three clicks from the +.. seems like when the shocks unload hard when crossing a deep rut. So hard u can feel it hammer the suspension in the front.. what do I need to do too keep the shox from rebounding so hard? Don't want to back the springs off I'm running 30's like the ground clearance. Need to know if I can make the adjustment with the dial on the reservoir... thanks
Screw the rebounds all the way in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just have the base model with the 2.0 shox.. do I need to turn the clickers all the way to the + or -. Or somewhere in the middle..

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
I would do the same thing with the base shocks that I recommend with the XRS shocks.
Turn the rebound adjuster all the way in to its slowest setting and turn the compression to its softest settings. Add compression as you bottom the vehicle till you don't bottom any more.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The more preload you put on it the ruffer the ride The rebound is on the bottom of the shock but on most shocks when you screw in on the screw it gives you slower rebound

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think the base shocks have rebound adjustment.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
That's going to be completely up to you and how you ride. Like I said before back the compression adjusters all the way out and add compression as you bottom, very rarely will two vehicles have the same tune and work the same. If I add 40 pounds to my vehicle I can tell really fast so its hard to tell someone where their adjusters should be.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I am runnin Alex's settings and love it in the woods, fair warning on high speed field riding though... It'll get kinda loosy goosy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the 2.0 shocks and I wanna loosen up the springs in the back.. How far down should the lock ring be from the threads on the shock? Or is there any formula to follow? ie: 1/2" loosening of the springs = xx lbs of preload? Factory seems to be way to stiff... I do all types of riding except dunes and I don't have any local places to try to catch air. so a good average adjustment would be cool...

Myron

·
Registered
22 Posts
When loosening the compression adjusters, is it possible to back the outer (blue nut) too far? Or does it have a stop like the other adjustments?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, this maybe a stupid question. But, Alex, would you recommend adjusting all four the same? Or adjust the front and rear different?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Try putting the stiffer back shocks on the front and the softer front springs on the back. This will help keep the front up and level and the back from kicking up so much. Then open everything up, then find a road or track to make your front adjustment get it the way you like it and then work on the rear.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
Try putting the stiffer back shocks on the front and the softer front springs on the back. This will help keep the front up and level and the back from kicking up so much. Then open everything up, then find a road or track to make your front adjustment get it the way you like it and then work on the rear.

hmm, have you done this? I am headed to the most wooped out place on Earth, The Cinder hills in Flagstaff AZ. I will play around with some stuff and see what works.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts