Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, I read a previous thread and it was over the shocks but really didnt answer what I was wanting to know. Well ive got the 3" S3 lift and the 34 terms at the moment which will be coming off when I get home and replaced with OL2's, what Im wondering is how is everyone getting the ground clearance, Ive got the rear shocks adjusted damn near all the way and the front are same as original and Im only getting roughly 16.5" out of it? I see others with the same set up as me with which looks like a whole lot more than I have, it also seems like after I adjust the shocks the ground clearance goes up but when weight is put on the bike and the shocks go in they dont return to their original state to where I was getting the added ground clearance. Almost as if after the weight was applied they just went back in and there was no adjustment even made? Anything helps, thanks fellas...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds to me like your springs are worn. When you crank the shocks up, this tends to happen more quickly. But, I find it hard to believe that with 34s, and a 3" lift you only have 16.5" of gc. I would expect at least 2-3" more. What do your 34s measure at?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that's what I thought, I figured at least 18-19", tires mounted with around 12-15psi are roughly 33 1/2" give or take a little. Dunno how springs would be worn the bike is brand new and only been on 2 rides with only of of those ride having the springs adjusted. When I adjust the springs it was damn near 18" after I stood on back and put some weight on it it didn't release and go back it stayed at roughly 16.5-16.75" I don't know what the hell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine started to sag about 3/4" after the first two rides. Even still, with your setup I'd be around 18.5 without cranking. I would expect to achieve close to 20" by cranking.

Does the suspension feel stiff? Who's 3" lift are you running, and did you install it yourself?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running the s3 lift, it doesn't feel to stiff at all. I spoke with a buddy who has a shop and does a lot of work on bikes and he said new springs would fix the issue and that the can am springs weakin very quickly. I can't seem to find any though I'm sure no one makes them yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm really shocked yours are sagging that much. But, that does sound like your problem.

Performance ATV has sent off some shock to a company to build some replacements. However, it sounds like it's still going to be some time before they're ready. I'd give them a call and let them know you're looking.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
I can very easily get you aftermarket springs for your Maverick that are the factory rate or I have a extra set of factory springs that I can send to you if you need springs. One of our specialties is shock and suspension work so if you need anything let me know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with the guy I bought the bike from and he has the exact same set up, he said that the rear springs sag very bad and they got the commander HL springs to replace them. A little grinding was needed to the piece that holds the spring in place but after that was done and the new springs were installed he said everything has been perfect. In conclusion I ordered them and will be doing the same, ill report back and let yall guys know how it goes. Ill also try to take some pictures to show the differences.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can very easily get you aftermarket springs for your Maverick that are the factory rate or I have a extra set of factory springs that I can send to you if you need springs. One of our specialties is shock and suspension work so if you need anything let me know.
Are the aftermarket ones prone to sagging as much as the factory ones?

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Its not what you would call a direct factory replacement. Its a single rate spring that closely matches the front and rear spring rates that would replace your factory ones. Springs are going to have a very little amount of sag in them but no where close to the factory springs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its not what you would call a direct factory replacement. Its a single rate spring that closely matches the front and rear spring rates that would replace your factory ones. Springs are going to have a very little amount of sag in them but no where close to the factory springs.
Can you PM me a price please?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update, installed the HL springs in the rear yesterday and boom all better. Had to do a little filing on the keeper ring thats positioned at the bottom of shock that holds spring on to fit the commander springs and all the sag is gone. With factory springs in rear cranked down after weight was applied and released I was sitting at around 16 3/4" ground clearance with 34 terms, after springs were installed which was after the terms were taken off and 29.5 OL2's installed which kinda sucks cuz I cant see the exact difference due to loss in tire height. But after that was done I'm sitting right at about 18" in rear, the sag in factory Mav rear springs is horrible but all is well now. Just a heads up for anyone having this issue, also cranked the fronts up a bit to level bike out and front is right at 19".

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the info Justin! So you went with the highlifter commander springs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts