Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything on this subject. I noticed in the beginning that at certain conditions my shifter gets in a bind when trying to change from reverse to high or vise versa and I understand where this might be normal due to load conditions on the gear box at the time of switching gears. I rode last night and found that it was binding like crazy on flat trails and every once in a while I didn't think that I was going to get it out of reverse. Just got home and removed the cover and was hoping to find a stick jabbed in the linkage but it is clean and free. Has anyone had this experience or am I just whining, it has STARTED TO PISS ME OFF. What else should I check?

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
It's possible that the primary clutch is slightly grabbing the belt spinning the secondary and making it difficult to shift.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check the engagement rpm on your qsc the spring wears/breaks in and engages early basically try to turn the secondary at idle. Check the one-way also may be getting stiff. If you don't understand how this works with the primary engaging early just try the shim that shipped with your primary and see if your issue goes away. That shim is .080" I used a .030" one in mine since that one raises your engagement up to around 2000rpm.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
just rock the sxs back and forth and it will slip in

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I had issues with mine not wanting to shift very easy. Turned out the primary spring was not stiff enough, and my primary was engaging at idle rpm (CVTech). New spring and it's been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Also if u have sport low it will idle higher and affect how it shifts from gear to gear. With sport low on it idles at 1550. With it off it idles at 1250. A lot easier to swap gears at a low idle

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Also if u have sport low it will idle higher and affect how it shifts from gear to gear. With sport low on it idles at 1550. With it off it idles at 1250. A lot easier to swap gears at a low idle
I never noticed that, I will have to check mine out and see if it does that too. Why would it idle at 1550 in low if it thinks it's still in high gear? mine idled at 1500 in high and dropped down a little in low before the sport low mod….

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's usually comin out of reverse when it binds so sport low wouldn't matter. I have a qsc, what would I have to do to install that shim and where does it do in the primary? never had one apart.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its real easy take those 6 Allen head screws off your primary. The front plate will come off with the spring and than place the metal shim behind the spring and put it back together. You can leave the primary on the crank to do this also. I had to put two shims in mine. The shims raise the engagement rpms.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Look at your rpm's with sport low on then turn it off. Rpm's will drop 300 even in park

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Look at your rpm's with sport low on then turn it off. Rpm's will drop 300 even in park
OK, I misunderstood what you were saying. Regardless of high or low gear, if you turn off the sport mode the RPM's drop. I understood that. I thought you were saying with the sport low mod that yours idled higher than normal. Mine idles at 1500 after the first few seconds of warmup. I never see it idle at 1550 or higher???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts