Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I visited my dealer yesterday and walked back to the shop and was BS with the mechanic that has done all my recalls to let him know on the last visit to WV and NC mountains that no problems occurred. (I know I may be jinxing my self, by saying this but 0 problems in 400 miles) I noticed a Maverick engine on the work bench. I asked what's wrong with that one. The key way broke off when the crank shaft bolt backed out on the passenger side. I asked do we need to bring mine in and check the torque. He said no because on the last clutch recall, to torque the Primary correctly you have to take the plug out on the passenger side and hold the crank with an allen wrench so you can get the proper torque on the primary. SO I ASKED, HAS THIS ENGINE HAD THE CLUTCH RECALL? AND IF THIS PROCEDURE DOING THE CLUTCH RECALL TIGHTENS BOTH THE RIGHT SIDE CRANK SHAFT BOLT AND THE PRIMARY BOLT ? He said yes it does. Why did the bolt come loose and tear up the crank? He could not answer the question. But he did tell me that BRP is replacing the Engine. So I guess now we have to wait on a recall for this problem. I wonder if there are more Engines out there setting on the work benches that we don't know about? O well, time will tell. Just passing on it seems like one more hurdle to worry about. But after all is said, this still is one bad machine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I may be wrong, don't quote me. But I set there and watched as he read 2 pages from BRP on the recall putting the new stud into the crankshaft for the primary. I don't know how you would hold the engine back with the primary off?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I watched as he read 2 pages on the new stud recall for the primary. With the primary off, how are you going to keep the crank from turning over while you torque the stud into the crank shaft for the primary. As I saw, he did as the recall stated. This mechanic is pretty good with Can-am. I'm not a dummy on these things, being a service manager in my past at a Motorcycle Dealership. I'm sure there are dealerships out there that are not worth going too, not the case with this one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think you are understanding the procedure. This is not torquing the primary. The primary is off. You are installing a stud with a nut to hold the primary on instead of a bolt that has been coming loose. It is a better set-up to hold the primary on. So to install the hollow stud you have to hold back the engine while torquing the new up date stud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts