Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my Maverick off for the 3rd time with what I thought was a clutch issued turned out to be a sheared flywheel key. My dealer is working with Can Am about how to go about fixing my Maverick. I purchased it new in May for 18k and it's been back to the dealer three times for clutch issues. I picked it up last Saturday after having the primary clutch replaced for the 2nd time along with a new belt. Got home and went up and down the block and the engine would cut back around 30mph and smooth out by 35mph. I figured it was the new belt breaking in. Negative, pulled into my yard and the engine shut down and when I tried to restart it all I could hear was knocking. I pushed it back on the trailer and took it to the dealer for what will be it's last time. Hopefully Can Am will do the right thing and replaced my Maverick with a new unit or give me my money back. I'll be more than happy to have a new Maverick but it won't be on my dime. I know the new Rzr Xp 1000 is out but I'll NEVER pay for a Polaris so it's Can Am or nothing...

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
man, what terrible luck! I hope they do whatever it takes to make this right…..

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
sucks its yours but its a rare weird problem u will get all fixed up with new stuff and be down the road good as new soon hang in there , down time sucks :(

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah good luck and keep us posted on how they treat you.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
that sucks!!

call BRP directly and create a case, make sure to talk to them civilized and they will take care of you. Dont forget to tell them about trips planned that you could not make and you and your family are dissappointed.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Dropped my Maverick off for the 3rd time with what I thought was a clutch issued turned out to be a sheared flywheel key. My dealer is working with Can Am about how to go about fixing my Maverick. I purchased it new in May for 18k and it's been back to the dealer three times for clutch issues. I picked it up last Saturday after having the primary clutch replaced for the 2nd time along with a new belt. Got home and went up and down the block and the engine would cut back around 30mph and smooth out by 35mph. I figured it was the new belt breaking in. Negative, pulled into my yard and the engine shut down and when I tried to restart it all I could hear was knocking. I pushed it back on the trailer and took it to the dealer for what will be it's last time. Hopefully Can Am will do the right thing and replaced my Maverick with a new unit or give me my money back. I'll be more than happy to have a new Maverick but it won't be on my dime. I know the new Rzr Xp 1000 is out but I'll NEVER pay for a Polaris so it's Can Am or nothing...
Hey Tar Heel,

If they aren't helping you out shoot me a PM and I will give you contact info to someone who will be able to help you.

Dennis

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer called today and told me Can Am is sending a new engine. I'm trying to see if they will throw in an extended warranty as the engine is only covered for 90 days. Does the engine warranty sound right to you guys?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Tyipcal replacement part warranty. Do you have the original warranty or extended warranty from BRP? If os, you may try to get them to put in writing that this is covered under that warranty.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Dealer called today and told me Can Am is sending a new engine. I'm trying to see if they will throw in an extended warranty as the engine is only covered for 90 days. Does the engine warranty sound right to you guys?
don't worry about it , u wont need it , ur gonna be fine ! ur problem was a super fluke

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the basic warranty that comes with all new Mavericks. I sure hope it was just a fluke. I can honestly say I don't ever plan on buying another first year model again. My '06 Raptor 700 gave me problems and the same with my '08 F-250. I love all my toys but from here on out I'll wait instead of being first with the new stuff. I'm going to see if I can avoid paying for the 10 hour break-in service on this new engine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That should be a reasonable request.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I would ask can am to pick up that service bill to

·
Registered
395 Posts
I visited my dealer yesterday and walked back to the shop and was BS with the mechanic that has done all my recalls to let him know on the last visit to WV and NC mountains that no problems occurred. (I know I may be jinxing my self, by saying this but 0 problems in 400 miles) I noticed a Maverick engine on the work bench. I asked what's wrong with that one. The key way broke off when the crank shaft bolt backed out on the passenger side. I asked do we need to bring mine in and check the torque. He said no because on the last clutch recall, to torque the Primary correctly you have to take the plug out on the passenger side and hold the crank with an allen wrench so you can get the proper torque on the primary. SO I ASKED, HAS THIS ENGINE HAD THE CLUTCH RECALL? AND IF THIS PROCEDURE DOING THE CLUTCH RECALL TIGHTENS BOTH THE RIGHT SIDE CRANK SHAFT BOLT AND THE PRIMARY BOLT ? He said yes it does. Why did the bolt come loose and tear up the crank? He could not answer the question. But he did tell me that BRP is replacing the Engine. So I guess now we have to wait on a recall for this problem. I wonder if there are more Engines out there setting on the work benches that we don't know about? O well, time will tell. Just passing on it seems like one more hurdle to worry about. But after all is said, this still is one bad machine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I may be wrong, don't quote me. But I set there and watched as he read 2 pages from BRP on the recall putting the new stud into the crankshaft for the primary. I don't know how you would hold the engine back with the primary off?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I watched as he read 2 pages on the new stud recall for the primary. With the primary off, how are you going to keep the crank from turning over while you torque the stud into the crank shaft for the primary. As I saw, he did as the recall stated. This mechanic is pretty good with Can-am. I'm not a dummy on these things, being a service manager in my past at a Motorcycle Dealership. I'm sure there are dealerships out there that are not worth going too, not the case with this one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think you are understanding the procedure. This is not torquing the primary. The primary is off. You are installing a stud with a nut to hold the primary on instead of a bolt that has been coming loose. It is a better set-up to hold the primary on. So to install the hollow stud you have to hold back the engine while torquing the new up date stud.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts