Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey tx how do you think the maverick would have done on a harder packed surface , it seems you were doin some sweet drifts in a field but do you think if it would have been biting or grabbing an edge it would have handled the same? ive heard mixed reviews some say it handles absolutely amazing, and some say its heavy and pushes into corners? and as far as rotr goes? how do you think the mav. will stack up against the cat in the big whoops!!
I wish I would have done some slower speeds in the vids that might have shown how rough that field was. It is an old cow pasture and is very bumpy. I did detect some push into the corners but it is erased with proper throttle application. I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't be better on a smoother harder surface. I will say when the speed was high it had overall push as in I was carrying more speed than it had grip so the entire machine was sliding out wider that I wanted forcing me to slow down. Maybe that is the "push" others are talking about, maybe they were overcooking the turns cause this sucker can easily carry big speed???

I only had the one small ditch to blast through so I am not qualified to say truly how well the Maverick would handle big whoops or jumps but when I put the camera down and used two hands to drive I opened it up much more than in the vid and hit that ditch doing about 50 and it jumped cleanly. I expected the tail to kick up, my Wildcat would have on that short faced jump for sure, but the Maverick barely kicked up the rear and I mean BARELY which leads me to believe it will be a solid bump and jump handler. I think it has enough travel to hang with the Wildcat. I wish I had more time in the Maverick under different conditions but I don't and I don't want to give bad info by speculating.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Wow, nothing like bag driving your brand new rig. Thanks for posting. My mind is made up, mine will not even leave the dealer until my front diff is replaced with the QE unit for the Commander..

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
thanks for the vid most of us previous can am owners know deep down even if they dont want to admit it that the visco lok friggin suks !! but i sure hope the guy driving wasnt you? becuz im about to bash him. im willing to bet that 10 people could have tried this same thing, and 8 of them would have made it! he was driving like a drunk monkey!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It wasn't me but having competed against him I am willing to bet my money on Tripp Pullen versus whichever 10 people you found, including you. That was Tripp driving with Bobby Tanner riding along.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just for reference, here is Tripp Pullen:

Here is Bobby Tanner:

well i have seen both of those guys, and know exactly who you are talking about , are they better driver than me? Im positive they are, but some of the things they do, are in 80,000 plus rigs! to be honest id look like i wasnt to shabby my self in those rigs. could they beat me in the same set up, again yes! im sure they could but do you get my point. and in the video towards the end when he hit the hill really hard and wheelied up and veered left! you cant tell me that if he wasnt balls out that he would have done that. it looked like to me, he was to agressive on that particular try! i wasnt there and seen it in person but thats my speculation!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hear what you are saying, but the visco-lok in the mud with tires coming off the ground makes life hard on hills even for people that know what they are doing. I mentioned this thread to Tripp a few minutes ago his exact words were "Please just send them haters to the next sxs race I will put them in there place know dat".

Not trying to disrespect you at all I am sure you are a fine driver and very capable yourself just wanted you to know that the guy driving in the vid is a top competitor and has a clue what he is doing.

:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just for reference here is a pretty good vid that shows how big the ledges are and how steep "Flipper" is. Pay attention these are 40 inch plus tires which helps you to guage the ledges and it goes to show even an $80,000 rig does not guarantee success:

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I just got back from Glamis and I was able to drive USAguy's Maverick. It absolutely kicks ass in the sand dunes. It rides very smooth in the dunes and has a ton of power. It felt very snappy and would throw you back into the seat when you stabbed the throttle. Very stable over whoops at any speed. Never felt tipsy or top heavy. It gets to 60MPH very fast and the motor sounds awesome.

The suspension is very nice and only will need some minor tweaking to suit your riding style. Not as smooth as the Wildcat, but it is close.

If you buy this machine there is not anything to really add other than harnesses and doors.

Very well built and thought out machine. I wish I did not drive it as now I want one.

edited to add - I did feel the shaft saver kick in once for a micro second skipping across the whoops. not a big deal.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I hear what you are saying, but the visco-lok in the mud with tires coming off the ground makes life hard on hills even for people that know what they are doing. I mentioned this thread to Tripp a few minutes ago his exact words were "Please just send them haters to the next sxs race I will put them in there place know dat".

Not trying to disrespect you at all I am sure you are a fine driver and very capable yourself just wanted you to know that the guy driving in the vid is a top competitor and has a clue what he is doing.

:)
well i sure like to ride and i drive well enough to get me around and do what i gota do! and just like you i mean no disrespect! that was just my observation of that particular instance. ill try the qe visco first , but if absolute have to im goin to use my standard visco and weld it up and see what happens ? that way if i hate it i still have qe to fall back on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kellylmann,
I am not a huge fan of the new rock racing or whatever they are calling it. I am not going to comment on the amount of skill it does or doesn't take to drive those races. I am in no way shape or forum going to say I can drive better than any of these guys. It just isn't my thing.

As for the Maverick and the Visco-Lok I am a true HATER. Yes there is the QE which I will install too if I choose to try out the Mavrick. I will look at other ideas too and see if maybe some type of true locker can be made to fit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
By the way I posted the video because it was of a new Maverick and the thread is about the lack of Maverick videos, not to point anything out about the Visco-lok.

Wild this new Maverick has made choices much more difficult hasn't it? Have you driven it yet? The quality feel is lightyears ahead of the rest.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Kellylmann,
I am not a huge fan of the new rock racing or whatever they are calling it. I am not going to comment on the amount of skill it does or doesn't take to drive those races. I am in no way shape or forum going to say I can drive better than any of these guys. It just isn't my thing.

As for the Maverick and the Visco-Lok I am a true HATER. Yes there is the QE which I will install too if I choose to try out the Mavrick. I will look at other ideas too and see if maybe some type of true locker can be made to fit.
oh lord ! neither am i , i do not rock crawl nor do i do the rock time trial things! i ride i southeastern and southwestern missouri in the bootheel we got turtle mud , and gumbo mud the riding here is usually fast and sweeping, drifting on levee gravel roads hitting a mud pit. the occasional hill climb! however when i go west it slower more technical off camber small ledges and what not. but when you are off camber, and on a steep hill and 1 wheel is on the air! and the 1 wheel touching the ground isnt helping out. grrrrrrrrrrr! it ticks me off. i truly hope you or someone makes a locker, but we shall see? time will tell.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
By the way I posted the video because it was of a new Maverick and the thread is about the lack of Maverick videos, not to point anything out about the Visco-lok.

Wild this new Maverick has made choices much more difficult hasn't it? Have you driven it yet? The quality feel is lightyears ahead of the rest.
oh im chomping at the bits to get 1 , im 2nd on the list at my dealer . so i kinda hope you do convert over myself. itd be nice to have some1 from the artic cat side of the fence with input and ride comparisons since youve had 1 . again i only had a commander , so the maverick im sure is gona be like a ferarri comparitively!!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts

Viso lok is the read headed step child no one wants to talk about lol, I can see some type of riders having issues with it, but after seeing the video you posted I'm 90% sure ill be fine with it since I dont do any kind of technical rock crawling. Most of my area that I prefer I can keep a good pace, with some jumps and whoops.

·
Registered
197 Posts
oh im chomping at the bits to get 1 , im 2nd on the list at my dealer . so i kinda hope you do convert over myself. itd be nice to have some1 from the artic cat side of the fence with input and ride comparisons since youve had 1 . again i only had a commander , so the maverick im sure is gona be like a ferarri comparitively!!!!

Just throw out what you did with the Commander this is a whole nother level now.

I will keep the Wildcat too I am looking to add to the toys and right now the Maverick is way out front the only thing that can shake it will be if the Wildcat X turns out to be a huge step ahead of the current Wildcat or if in short order Polaris somehow also comes to the plate with some new homerun. I somehow have my doubts on either brand "A" or brand "P" coming through but its not long of a wait to see because apparently March is when it all will be known.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts