Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pretty sure usa guy , glamis fan , and several others were heading out for a maverick meet this weekend. no1 has anything to report ? i know dang good and well there are thousands of xps out there salivating to run a maverick! so are they embarassed to tell theyr story or are they still riding? id really like to have seen more videos by now, this thing has been out awhile......

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What? They just started hitting dealer floors in limited quantities. Most of us are still waiting for ours to come in. Im sure they are riding and will post up later. Oh and if you want to see mavericks smoking xp's there are already vids of that on youtube.
ive only seen the 2 videos from murray

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well id be out riding it too! but however id also report , maybe not so much video but hell, id have to bragg on the fact i just toasted some people . or man we wer riding flat out in the woods and they couldnt even dream of keeping up this things a beast!! you know stuff we wana hear you guys know what the heck im talking about, maybe after the weekend we will see and hear more.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay rotr spill the beans! we will watch the video without doubt, but can you at least say if the maverick held its own! these guys on some of the forums are out of touch , i love can am and hope it decimates the comp. but the reality is the xp is quik, and the videos ive seen the can am doesnt smoke the xp but yes it wins. so im really curious the results, im pulling for can am ...............

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we all know the maverick is gona flat out suck at rock crawling with that abomination they call a front diff! however ill be anxiously awaiting to hear more about the other departments like acceleration, suspension, 0-50, and others cuz when it comes to crawling id say the wildcat would win that easily!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is the type stuff i been wanting to hear! keep em coming fellas! i am so anxiously awaiting the arrival of my xrs its killing me literally . im also anxiously awaiting rotr review ! cant wait to hear from more guys after the weekend of riding........

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I predict same as TX except I don't see the XP winning 0-30. The youtube vid's I have watched show the XP getting off the line slightly quicker but I doubt they even reach 30mph before the maverick passes the XP like it's standing still. I predict the XP gets shut out. Good at everything but no longer the best at anything.

The Wildcat will be the clear winner at rock crawling SO LONG AS:::

the SLD does not let go, or if it breaks a diff or a driveshaft ,or an axel, or the tip over sensor goes, or the fuel pump quits, or if it blows a belt, or the shifter linkage breaks, or if oil starts blowing out out of the engine, a front A-arm bends in half, if tie rods bend, the starter quits,,, etc, etc, you get the picture , during the course of the competition.

Wildcat is clearly the best set-up for crawling and handling the big bumps but they seriously need to work a few bugs out of their car. Hopefully the X addresses all of these issues plus turning radius and reliable power.
well i drove a wildcat at cloud 9 ranch and let me tell ya, that thing was like riding a marshmallow it was super soft, i liked how quiet it was and climbed a couple hills. and for those of you that know cloud9 i climbed the rough side of camo hill, no its not the meanest toughest hill but its not something your gona climb on just anything! and was impressed with the ease that it climbed with. the power was definately down a lil bit but to be honest it was faster than i thought itd be, so if the maverick rides 75% as good as the kitty kat leme tell ya its gona be awesome!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here is part 1 of our shootout. Enjoy!

The Rally on the Rocks Crew does a shootout between the Arctic Cat Wildcat, Polaris XP and the Can-Am Maverick at Sand Hollow in St. George Utah.
We love all side by sides and have no bias. All tires had 9 lbs of pressure. All machines are stock except the wildcat (it has the wildcat willys clutch kit and bighorn 2.0's). They are all great machines and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. They all have plusses and minuses.
Part 2 is coming with sand hill drags and suspension shots.

extremely nice guys! the can am actually did better in the rocks than i expected, altho im no dummy i seen the front not engage a few times and im sure the others made shorter work of it! however the can am did a few things i thought itd struggle on! so im pleased. i gota ask tho, why does the wildcat have a clutch in it an others are stock? or is that just the unit you had and you ran with it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nobody's perfect.
hey tx how do you think the maverick would have done on a harder packed surface , it seems you were doin some sweet drifts in a field but do you think if it would have been biting or grabbing an edge it would have handled the same? ive heard mixed reviews some say it handles absolutely amazing, and some say its heavy and pushes into corners? and as far as rotr goes? how do you think the mav. will stack up against the cat in the big whoops!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
thanks for the vid most of us previous can am owners know deep down even if they dont want to admit it that the visco lok friggin suks !! but i sure hope the guy driving wasnt you? becuz im about to bash him. im willing to bet that 10 people could have tried this same thing, and 8 of them would have made it! he was driving like a drunk monkey!!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just for reference, here is Tripp Pullen:

Here is Bobby Tanner:

well i have seen both of those guys, and know exactly who you are talking about , are they better driver than me? Im positive they are, but some of the things they do, are in 80,000 plus rigs! to be honest id look like i wasnt to shabby my self in those rigs. could they beat me in the same set up, again yes! im sure they could but do you get my point. and in the video towards the end when he hit the hill really hard and wheelied up and veered left! you cant tell me that if he wasnt balls out that he would have done that. it looked like to me, he was to agressive on that particular try! i wasnt there and seen it in person but thats my speculation!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I hear what you are saying, but the visco-lok in the mud with tires coming off the ground makes life hard on hills even for people that know what they are doing. I mentioned this thread to Tripp a few minutes ago his exact words were "Please just send them haters to the next sxs race I will put them in there place know dat".

Not trying to disrespect you at all I am sure you are a fine driver and very capable yourself just wanted you to know that the guy driving in the vid is a top competitor and has a clue what he is doing.

:)
well i sure like to ride and i drive well enough to get me around and do what i gota do! and just like you i mean no disrespect! that was just my observation of that particular instance. ill try the qe visco first , but if absolute have to im goin to use my standard visco and weld it up and see what happens ? that way if i hate it i still have qe to fall back on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Kellylmann,
I am not a huge fan of the new rock racing or whatever they are calling it. I am not going to comment on the amount of skill it does or doesn't take to drive those races. I am in no way shape or forum going to say I can drive better than any of these guys. It just isn't my thing.

As for the Maverick and the Visco-Lok I am a true HATER. Yes there is the QE which I will install too if I choose to try out the Mavrick. I will look at other ideas too and see if maybe some type of true locker can be made to fit.
oh lord ! neither am i , i do not rock crawl nor do i do the rock time trial things! i ride i southeastern and southwestern missouri in the bootheel we got turtle mud , and gumbo mud the riding here is usually fast and sweeping, drifting on levee gravel roads hitting a mud pit. the occasional hill climb! however when i go west it slower more technical off camber small ledges and what not. but when you are off camber, and on a steep hill and 1 wheel is on the air! and the 1 wheel touching the ground isnt helping out. grrrrrrrrrrr! it ticks me off. i truly hope you or someone makes a locker, but we shall see? time will tell.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
By the way I posted the video because it was of a new Maverick and the thread is about the lack of Maverick videos, not to point anything out about the Visco-lok.

Wild this new Maverick has made choices much more difficult hasn't it? Have you driven it yet? The quality feel is lightyears ahead of the rest.
oh im chomping at the bits to get 1 , im 2nd on the list at my dealer . so i kinda hope you do convert over myself. itd be nice to have some1 from the artic cat side of the fence with input and ride comparisons since youve had 1 . again i only had a commander , so the maverick im sure is gona be like a ferarri comparitively!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I think you are right it is like the ever present elephant in the room. You would think Can-am would have gotten the message by now and would have addressed it. Maybe the QE does I do not personally know, but they really should take steps to squash the well known dragging anchor that the Visco-lok is to their sales. Yes, I really do think it affects their sales, especially to the performance crowd and that is the crowd the Maverick is built for.
100% agree^^^^^^^i think if this fella had a locker itd be extremely hard to beat! period!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I wish I had gotten a chance to drive one. The closest Test Ride was 500 + miles from where I am.

Up here in the PNW we have wet tree roots to deal with plus a lot more. A working locker is what works here. Picking the right line works 90% of the time but you always have that 1 time you need something more. I'm curious if a auto locker say for a Suzuki could be machined down to fit into the diff of the Mavrick. If I decide to get a Mavrick I'll have the stock replaced with a QE and then use the stocker for trial and error.
well some1 on the commander forum, made mention that you most definatley could use the front diff from another machine if the gear ratio was close enough! but then you have to custom make an axle for say a polaris diff, to mate to the maverick spindle. then of course none of them mount the same way so youd have to cut and weld the proper brackets in place! so id say yes it without doubt can be done . but how much is the question??

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I like to tinker so it might take a while but I'll find something that will work. Making it work isn't an issue and how much doesn't have to be that much. And it'll be fun trying too.
build it right ! and build 2 ill be your first buyer. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts