Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been waiting for years for the just right Maverick.
That maverick is almost here. I think.
Can Am blew it out of the water with the X3 X RS Turbo R.
Perfect wheelbase, stance, driver position, travel, triple cylinder with amazing output etc..

The one thing that doesn’t work is the belt. They are and will always be the weak link in the machine.

My question isn’t so much as when will they rid the super sporty machines of their belt drives, but rather how many avid Can Am fans would prefer a more durable geared transmission over the traditional belt drive?

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. While that sounds great, it didn't work out too well for Yamaha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!
Why is that? Side by sides won’t stay together with 200+ horse after several hours of riding.
Are any of the high horse power sand rails running belt drives?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a Mendeola transaxle double the price of the car? Is so I completely understand why they haven’t tried to sell/market that type of a super sporty sand rail /x3.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Would a Mendeola transaxle double the price of the car? Is so I completely understand why they haven’t tried to sell/market that type of a super sporty sand rail /x3.
It would add significant cost to an already expensive ride. Plus for most the belt is not an issue.

Belt drives appeal to the masses as they are easy to drive and fix on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
It would add significant cost to an already expensive ride. Plus for most the belt is not an issue.

Belt drives appeal to the masses as they are easy to drive and fix on the trails.

People can and will break anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
I think CVTs are perfect for this type of car. In the future, we might see steel chain CVTs appear in SxS before any other type of transmission.

I even doubt that Yamaha will keep offering the current setup if they want to gain any market share.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
People can and will break anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Every weekend in Glamis is proof of that. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts

I have to agree......I mean look at how much more street bikes cost because they manual shift transmission...well bad example...what about how much more expensive an ATV with a manual transmission costs...ok maybe another bad example.

I don't see how making a motorcycle style built in manual box would be much more if any than doing the CVT.

As for repairing it, if done correctly they won't need repair often and certainly not as often as belts.

Take 150 dollar belt times how many you replace and I bet it's more than a clutch. If sized correctly the clutch will last several seasons on a machine.

It all boils down to this, some people aren't manual transmission savvy. The belt is "easier" to drive and makes sure the car is in the correct gear for you. Those are basically it's only advantages. For lots of people that may why they are belt fans.

You don't see other forms of performance / off road race vehicles using the CVT. A manual when done correctly would be more reliable than a CVT.

The Yamaha arguement goes deeper than just the manual, no low range, poor suspension, short wheel base and the list goes on. Had they made an X3 style mini ultra 4 style manual it would have had much more success, they made a motocross style race vehicle.

Bottom line is the man pedal isn't for the masses but that doesn't mean it's not better for lots of people who would and do participate in our sport.

Tim

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I have to agree......I mean look at how much more street bikes cost because they manual shift transmission...well bad example...what about how much more expensive an ATV with a manual transmission costs...ok maybe another bad example.

I don't see how making a motorcycle style built in manual box would be much more if any than doing the CVT.

As for repairing it, if done correctly they won't need repair often and certainly not as often as belts.

Take 150 dollar belt times how many you replace and I bet it's more than a clutch. If sized correctly the clutch will last several seasons on a machine.

It all boils down to this, some people aren't manual transmission savvy. The belt is "easier" to drive and makes sure the car is in the correct gear for you. Those are basically it's only advantages. For lots of people that may why they are belt fans.

You don't see other forms of performance / off road race vehicles using the CVT. A manual when done correctly would be more reliable than a CVT.

The Yamaha arguement goes deeper than just the manual, no low range, poor suspension, short wheel base and the list goes on. Had they made an X3 style mini ultra 4 style manual it would have had much more success, they made a motocross style race vehicle.

Bottom line is the man pedal isn't for the masses but that doesn't mean it's not better for lots of people who would and do participate in our sport.

Tim
Apples to oranges. Can’t compare a motorcycle or atv to putting a transmission in a UTV that would be a smaller scale of the transmission set up you have in your rail.

The cost will be coming up with a set up that can act as an automatic for those that don’t want to bang gears and a paddle shift set for those that do. On slow trail/rock climbing nobody cars about shifting. It is the fast stuff twisted trails, dunes and open desert where people would have fun shifting gears.

The Yamaha is a prime example on how small the market is for people that want that 3rd pedal. If Yamaha had come out with the sport shift model first they would of sold more.

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Apples to oranges. Can’t compare a motorcycle or atv to putting a transmission in a UTV that would be a smaller scale of the transmission set up you have in your rail.

The cost will be coming up with a set up that can act as an automatic for those that don’t want to bang gears and a paddle shift set for those that do. On slow trail/rock climbing nobody cars about shifting. It is the fast stuff twisted trails, dunes and open desert where people would have fun shifting gears.

The Yamaha is a prime example on how small the market is for people that want that 3rd pedal. If Yamaha had come out with the sport shift model first they would of sold more.

Why?

Sinister sand sports proved that a motorcycle style motor is fine in a large utv style car. Tim

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Why?

Sinister sand sports proved that a motorcycle style motor is fine in a large utv style car. Tim
And how much did those cars weigh? 1000lbs? No 4wd and No reverse (unless you got the Jeffco set up). More importantly a chain drive. Those guys replaced chains and sprockets
at least once a year.

A real style transmission is what would be needed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts