Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use the winch to secure the front to the trailer? I need to add some D-Rings to my trailer and I think I'm just gonna do a single in the front for the winch hook, any downside to this?

Do you ratchet strap or turnbuckle yours down every time you haul it? I've been using two straps one front one rear but they loosen up even on a 30 min haul. They're tight when I leave but I don't want to crank them anymore because it's moving the machine against the brakes.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
What I like about bonnets is it secures both forward and back movement and covers both sides of the tire with a strap across the top where single straps are either one way, or one strap over the tire which can be prone to slipping.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you maybe have a link you could post on where you picked those up from.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What I like about bonnets is it secures both forward and back movement and covers both sides of the tire with a strap across the top where single straps are either one way, or one strap over the tire which can be prone to slipping.
I can tell you I had a ratchet jam on mine and there was no way that strap was coming off. I finally had to flatten the tire to work it off the tire. So I guess there is a possibility if all the tires go flat.

·
Registered
2021 RC Turbo RR
36 Posts
Shock Therapy does a lot of good videos, this breaks down the subject pretty well:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use the tire bonets also. Don't tie down to suspended parts (like your winch) they will always come loose due to the suspension cycling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
using the winch as a tie down strap will wear the winch out quick too. they aren't designed to handle the shock load over and over like that. I broke a winch on a quad using it as a tie down, and researching it showed I wasn't alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Never use the winch or anything that puts stress on the suspension. . . you hit a bump and it loosens. . I use wheel tie downs that hook to plates bolted to the floor

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I got these in yesterday, what size bolts did you use? Lags or did you drill holes and use a nut? My trailer deck is wood so I'm thinking lag bolts.
Drilled, use largest grade 8 that fit, plate or big ass flat washers under with lock washer over flat washer or plate, no lag IMO

·
Registered
2021 RC Turbo RR
36 Posts
Drilled, use largest grade 8 that fit, plate or big ass flat washers under with lock washer over flat washer or plate, no lag IMO
This is what I did for my E-Track. I have two runs 16' long, put two bolts every 2' with a fender washer and lock washers. I wish the E-Track had a little more footprint to use a bigger than 1/4" bolt but that is the size hole it comes with and there isn't really room to put something bigger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the Erickson plates will only fit a 1/4" bolt. A 1/4" lag screw in a 2x6 (1.5" deep) has a pull out force of 267 lbs, each plate has 6 holes so that's 1602 lbs per wheel, or 6408 lbs for all 4 strapped down at the same time. If you drilled the plates out for 5/16" lags (there appears to be plenty of material for this) it would be 2004 lbs per wheel or 8016 lbs total, a 20% increase.

I guess technically with the suspension you could load each plate independently, but that wouldn't really apply for hitting bumps and stuff, they would mostly divide the load evenly.

I used lag screws, I'll keep an eye to see if they come loose or start to show signs of pulling but I don't see how they will.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts