Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stressful day on the trails with my 2015 Lemon... sorry Maverick Max. The secondary clutch fell off... that's right just driving along and bang...

Thankfully I got it all back together. But I noticed something interesting the clutch engagement is smoother now. Suggesting it been wrong since I got it 7 months ago.

It's it a known problem for these machines to have clutch issues?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check frequently? Remove all that shit frequently? I planned to put a belt on every winter to avoid trail repairs. Sounds like a job for loctite!

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Check frequently? Remove all that shit frequently? I planned to put a belt on every winter to avoid trail repairs. Sounds like a job for loctite!

better use high temp Loctite, all the heat in the clutches makes Loctite a lubricant at high temps and the bolt will come out easier. You just have to remove the bolts on clutches clean with carb cleaner and reinstall along with torqueing correctly with a fixture. I don't use loctitie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just called the dealer to get some prices. My helix is messed up. Looking at $400ish for the helix and inside clutch plate. Going to call me back for availability, that's never good...

What are my best options after market?

How frequently should the nuts be checked?

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Just called the dealer to get some prices. My helix is messed up. Looking at $400ish for the helix and inside clutch plate. Going to call me back for availability, that's never good...

What are my best options after market?

How frequently should the nuts be checked?

I would call //Airdam or another clutch tuner for advise. The older maverick clutches are nothing like the new X3 clutch which seems to be a good combo. An aftermarket clutch kit which includes helix and springs is $400. RM Atv.com for good parts pricing if you want to stay OEM.

·
Registered
666 Posts
the stock clutch setup in the older mavericks and commander and ATV is spring loaded. the secondary spring tension is held together by the secondary bolt. this is honestly asking a lot for the bolt for how they assemble them, with no loctite. you are right, inner movable sheave, new helix, and a new secondary spring gets pretty pricey quick.

it costs a few dollars more, but replacing the stock secondary with a full roller secondary that has the spring encapsulated is a much smarter setup, the new performance style secondary is a better option for performance, and belt life, and wont ever back the bolt off into the clutch cover again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Something is very wrong with my secondary. Planned to remove it to check for more damage. I can't open the clutch unless I back off the nut holding it. Time for a new one.

Stm suggested 35/45 encapsulated large radius helix with the lime green spring.

Will I have any engine brake with a encapsulated large radius helix?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Still the best setup on this year is the 2015/16 turbo primary and an STM secondary...yep, costs $1700 to upgrade but it's easy and dependable.

And I dont know bout all the talk on Torquing, i took Airdam recommendations and hit bot the primary and secondary with an impact as hard as it could hit ...ran the motor , hit it again, ran the motor and hit it again. Each time i hit it it would torque down further, you can visually see it.(guessing in the neighborhood of 200Lbs). No clutch holders, no special tools - slam it down with locktite. Do whatcha will, but I dont have any great concern about mine flying off I know that .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I dont know bout all the talk on Torquing, i took Airdam recommendations and hit bot the primary and secondary with an impact as hard as it could hit ...ran the motor , hit it again, ran the motor and hit it again. Each time i hit it it would torque down further, you can visually see it.(guessing in the neighborhood of 200Lbs). No clutch holders, no special tools - slam it down with locktite. Do whatcha will, but I dont have any great concern about mine flying off I know that .
I may have to do this. Called 8 STM dealers in the last week. Only one has called back. Order takes 2 to 3 weeks. Going to call STM today and try to buy direct

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
I may have to do this. Called 8 STM dealers in the last week. Only one has called back. Order takes 2 to 3 weeks. Going to call STM today and try to buy direct

If your going to use STM deal with them directly. I have bought hundreds of $$$ worth of parts from them and they usually ship within 24 hrs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The secondary is done. The stud looks damaged, nuts were loose again. Order a STM and may get a cv tech primary.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
I would use a 15/16 turbo primary. I went the STM route on my 14 Maverick and the primary doesnt hold up to daily driving. The secondary on the other hand is a good piece and a 35/45 encapsulated is a good helix. The secondary has to be correct for the primary clutch you will use. An example you would use a short post secondary with an STM Rage 6 but you will need a long post to work with an OEM turbo clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Managed to clean up the thread. STM suggested a 35/40 enlarged encapsulated helix. But they shipped a normal encapsulated helix. Not sure if that's a good thing. I'm willing to try it, helix are cheap enough.
My primary clutch is all worn on an angle so I order a CV Tech primary. Also order a new stud from can am. Everything should be here in the morning.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Shiney

1 - 20 of 20 Posts