Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64" XRC with a stage 1 Pwrtune and swapped the liberty's for roxxzilla's and kept the stock 30" size. My question is about the spring position in the secondary. I test drove a 72" 172hp XRC yesterday for a friend and have to say that the clutches felt completely different. The engagement on the 72" model was smooth as silk and mine feels way different and has a slight lag when taking off. The big car felt like it grabbed instantly. Another noticable difference is that in low gear, at 10 mph, my car is making 5,000 rpm. The 72" model was at 4,000 from at the same speed in the same gear. I would love to know why or how that is so I can adjust mine to mimic the big cars clutches. I checked my secondary and the spring is in position 2. I need to educate myself on the clutches so I can understand how they work but wondering if adjusting the spring would help, or if I need to get weights l, or both. Any help would be appreciated from someone hip to this question. I know it's been covered before in other areas, I just had no idea there could be that big of a difference in the clutch feel between 2 similar cars. After driving that car though, getting the clutch lined out or tuned is definitely my next step. Thanks for any help my dudes!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
stock 18+ stock clutching is better than the 17
sorry, not sure what parts were updated

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is a 2018. Not sure the manufactured date but I purchased it in March of this year.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also wondering how their could be 1,000rpm difference between cars with them both being in low and running the same speed with the same size tire. I thought mine felt great until I got in his car hahaha. I plan on purchasing the severe duty Evo belt and removing mine to keep as spare. Figured I would try and get this clutch lined out while I'm in there. Not sure my rpm at top speed but after the tune, I ran it to check and ran out of road . It hit 86-87 mph and was still climbing. My only complaint about the machine was how LOW the low gear actually was. Feels great for climbing and maybe it is a trade off vs. top end. I guess my biggest question was what you were actually changing by moving the secondary spring and if that combined with weights would actually change the initial engagement or the overall "feel" of the clutching.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
Also wondering how their could be 1,000rpm difference between cars with them both being in low and running the same speed with the same size tire. I thought mine felt great until I got in his car hahaha. I plan on purchasing the severe duty Evo belt and removing mine to keep as spare. Figured I would try and get this clutch lined out while I'm in there. Not sure my rpm at top speed but after the tune, I ran it to check and ran out of road . It hit 86-87 mph and was still climbing. My only complaint about the machine was how LOW the low gear actually was. Feels great for climbing and maybe it is a trade off vs. top end. I guess my biggest question was what you were actually changing by moving the secondary spring and if that combined with weights would actually change the initial engagement or the overall "feel" of the clutching.

wait, you are complaining about low gear being too low and you own a RC model? Its a RC as in CRawler not an RB as in BOuncer. Now I can see if you bought a different model and complained about low being too low. Come on, really?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Negative Sir, not complaining in any way. Just curious why the big rpm difference in the same machine. I understand there are slight differences between the big RC and the 64" model, but didn't know they would feel completely different and have 1,000 rpm difference in the same car. I love the torque and power that I have in low........just want mine to feel as smooth on the initial engagement as the car I drove yesterday. AGAIN, NOT COMPLAINING......I ride out east and cram my little rock though trees and trails at 5 mph and shoot up walls at 40 mph. We have it all out here, I just didn't realize how smooth mine wasn't until yesterday. Any HELP on my secondary spring position and what it's actually changing when I adjust it, would be appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Low gear is only usable in my machine when "crawling". Got it and it works great.The big car just appeared to deliver the power in low in a completely different manner and it was an RC as well. Maybe the 172hp machines just have a different feel to them but I was under the impression that other than the weights, I had the same gearing/clutch setup. Would love for someone to explain the 1,000 rpm difference with the same car/gearing/tire size.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a 64" XRC with a stage 1 Pwrtune and swapped the liberty's for roxxzilla's and kept the stock 30" size. My question is about the spring position in the secondary. I test drove a 72" 172hp XRC yesterday for a friend and have to say that the clutches felt completely different. The engagement on the 72" model was smooth as silk and mine feels way different and has a slight lag when taking off. The big car felt like it grabbed instantly. Another noticable difference is that in low gear, at 10 mph, my car is making 5,000 rpm. The 72" model was at 4,000 from at the same speed in the same gear. I would love to know why or how that is so I can adjust mine to mimic the big cars clutches. I checked my secondary and the spring is in position 2. I need to educate myself on the clutches so I can understand how they work but wondering if adjusting the spring would help, or if I need to get weights l, or both. Any help would be appreciated from someone hip to this question. I know it's been covered before in other areas, I just had no idea there could be that big of a difference in the clutch feel between 2 similar cars. After driving that car though, getting the clutch lined out or tuned is definitely my next step. Thanks for any help my dudes!

The holes on the secondary do not go in order of stiffness. not as easy as 1-6.....hole 1 and 5 are about the same....then order to the most stiff setting is: P.6, P.2, P.4 , P.3 is the most stiff. You must clock the spring (turn the secondary half forward so the helix leg is past the roller. You'll will see on P.3 you'll need a second person...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Low gear is only usable in my machine when "crawling". Got it and it works great.The big car just appeared to deliver the power in low in a completely different manner and it was an RC as well. Maybe the 172hp machines just have a different feel to them but I was under the impression that other than the weights, I had the same gearing/clutch setup. Would love for someone to explain the 1,000 rpm difference with the same car/gearing/tire size.

there shouldn't be 1000rpm difference. changing the spring position seems to be good for a few hundred rpm...not 1k

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man. Also, does anyone on here have a 72" RC and know what their factory secondary spring position is. Just curious if it's set different than the 64" cars from the factory.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I thought. I broke my belt in properly and it's always hit 5K at 10 mph in low gear. That's why I'm fishing on here bc 1,000 rpm with all the same stuff and tire size should mean something is very different.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
A worn belt will give the symptoms you describe.A worn belt rides lower in the secondary and leaves a little slack at the primary making it take more RPM's to engage the belt and from engagement on the RPM calibration will be different. Another thing is your primary may be sticking or need cleaned . Sometimes the weights don't pivot freely and in turn don't react the same. Are you running a different brand belt ? All belts are not created equal and you could possibly need to calibrate your clutch for the belt you are using. I am planning on trying the EVO belt as well but I know going in that a re calibration may be needed for my clutch.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mechanically, my entire machine is stock other than a tire swap and a tune, but I kept the 30 tire size so I was really confused with the rpm difference yesterday.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
Mechanically, my entire machine is stock other than a tire swap and a tune, but I kept the 30 tire size so I was really confused with the rpm difference yesterday.

some damn good clutching info here, I personally am uneducated in CVT clutching. Always left it to the porfessionals.

do your tires measure the same, most tires don't measure what they say on the sidewall. My 33" tires measure 31 7/8".

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Changing the secondary spring to a higher number position will increase your shift out RPM about 200 per position. Doing so will increase your back shift as well. For example with my stage three tune I moved it to pos 5 ,stage 4 pos 6. I love the quick back shift you may not because this also increases your cruising RPM and makes it high.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Changing the secondary spring to a higher number position will increase your shift out RPM about 200 per position. Doing so will increase your back shift as well. For example with my stage three tune I moved it to pos 5 ,stage 4 pos 6. I love the quick back shift you may not because this also increases your cruising RPM and makes it high.
yes....6 is stiffer than 5, but 3 is the stiffest then 4, 2 6, 5 and 1 about same. Trust me I assumed 1-6 meant 6 stiffest, but its not.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha. I think I may just play with it and stick with what feels best. Hopefully it isn't a pain to adjust. And @Mega, they are almost right on the money at 30" tall with 12psi per tire. The Roxxzilla's are not as "playful" as the Liberty's, and I can tell a big difference in the throttle. The Liberty's would spin and slide a little whereas the Roxxzilla's just bite and go.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any tips or advice on adjusting the secondary btw haha. A 12 pack and a few hours cover it or do I need more tools?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Any tips or advice on adjusting the secondary btw haha. A 12 pack and a few hours cover it or do I need more tools?

look up alba x3 clutch kit on you tube....I use the alba kit....Pretty easy with kit and video.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts