Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one else had this problem? If so what is the fix. Stretch bolt showed no signs of any thread locker. I know some will say full STM is the cure ,but what can I do for now with the stock clutches. Some say STM secondary with factory primary. Just looking for reliability without breaking the bank. just not wanting to spend 1500 on full STM

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Have your recalls been done?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes all recalls have been done. the recalls was for the primary not the secondary.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm not running stock clutches but I thought it was for both.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Reactions: maxdun

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Has any one else had this problem? If so what is the fix. Stretch bolt showed no signs of any thread locker. I know some will say full STM is the cure ,but what can I do for now with the stock clutches. Some say STM secondary with factory primary. Just looking for reliability without breaking the bank. just not wanting to spend 1500 on full STM
Just curious: How many hours/miles do you have?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
no need to spend 1500 because ur bolt backed out , lol

yes it happens on the canam- when the bolt is installed wrong , there suppose to use red loc tite and tq the bolt correctly ,

·
Registered
713 Posts
I blue locktited my secondary. Some people say don't, some say do, I couldn't find any reason not too and I have had no issues... (knocked on wood) :)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I blue locktited my secondary. Some people say don't, some say do, I couldn't find any reason not too and I have had no issues... (knocked on wood) :)
the brp recall work- states to use loc tite when re installing the secondary bolt - so ur ok

Reactions: SwerveOffRoad

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What will I benefit from using the STM secondary?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
well looks like a lot of racers use just the stm 2ndary built for stock primary , holds the belt better and best back shifting for being in the power band all the time , need to run certain springs and 40* helix I think, and Loctite your bolt, lol - I don't think a aftermarket clutch stops the bolt from backing out , its just the bolt on some machines were not installed or reinstalled correctly with loc tite and the new tq method !

the dealer will fix u all up for free and make sure they use red Loctite on the new 2dary bolt - 1 year warranty on cvt

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
well looks like a lot of racers use just the stm 2ndary built for stock primary , holds the belt better and best back shifting for being in the power band all the time , need to run certain springs and 40* helix I think, and Loctite your bolt, lol - I don't think a aftermarket clutch stops the bolt from backing out , its just the bolt on some machines were not installed or reinstalled correctly with loc tite and the new tq method !

the dealer will fix u all up for free and make sure they use red Loctite on the new 2dary bolt - 1 year warranty on cvt
The STM secondary does not require Loctite on the mounting bolt. Use the mounting bolt that comes with it and not the stock stretch bolt and torque it to spec and you will not have any issues.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mines is in the shop for the same thing. My first dealer did not install it right after recall nor did they reinstall it right when they went to fix it after it fell off. Its at a new dealer now. Also there is no reccord of this mystery 1yr warranty on cvt. I even called BRP. Some lucky ones got a letter... But not all.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Mines is in the shop for the same thing. My first dealer did not install it right after recall nor did they reinstall it right when they went to fix it after it fell off. Its at a new dealer now. Also there is no reccord of this mystery 1yr warranty on cvt. I even called BRP. Some lucky ones got a letter... But not all.
ya they sent me a letter , so that's good to know , not all mavericks have the 1 year cvt , but u would think they would cover all cvt problems knowing what they put out there and to keep there name clean

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine backed out, I didn't torque it properly, didn't think to use a strap to hold the secondary to torque it, I had blue loctite. When I had the standard clutches.

From ' The Land Down Under ' .

·
Registered
32 Posts
ya they sent me a letter , so that's good to know , not all mavericks have the 1 year cvt , but u would think they would cover all cvt problems knowing what they put out there and to keep there name clean
I would be nice to know how they determined who got the extension. I read that the some who got the letter had issues before the primary recall was preformed. either way I have the BEST warranty still so it was only $50 twice and $104 in fuel to take it to the two dealers. So for $204 I got an $80 helix at the first dealer and the $13 bolt at the second. Glad to see I came out a head... not. If I knew the first dealer was a hack and that the inner sheave and shaft were ok. I would have did it all my self for sure.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I would be nice to know how they determined who got the extension. I read that the some who got the letter had issues before the primary recall was preformed. either way I have the BEST warranty still so it was only $50 twice and $104 in fuel to take it to the two dealers. So for $204 I got an $80 helix at the first dealer and the $13 bolt at the second. Glad to see I came out a head... not. If I knew the first dealer was a hack and that the inner sheave and shaft were ok. I would have did it all my self for sure.
ya the guys that had problems and the early 2013's got the 1 year cvt,

the aftermarket warranty doesn't cover clutch or belt , but good to hear it covered ur helix and bolt tho , I have the rpm1 warranty also

·
Registered
146 Posts
had mine back out with around 300 miles on it. ruined clutch.JPG the secondary and i never got any letter about recall!! but i fixed it myself!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Never got the letter either. My STM secondary is torqued to 30 lbs and was told to use blue loctite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Never got the letter either. My STM secondary is torqued to 30 lbs and was told to use blue loctite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
who told you that? I have the installation instructions sitting in front of me and it does not mention it anywhere....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts