Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Second thoughts rage 3

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Canamxteam 
#1 ·
just read a thread on a couple issues people are seeing with STM. (1) play or "binding" on primary bearing. (2) thrust washer going bad. (3) belt slipping, not getting full MPH. (4) belt not aligning well between the primary and secondary. I spent my money with STM based on feedback and the stock clutch issues, did I do the right thing? I dont want more issues for the money i spent. I was told that the Rage 3 full smoke the tires down the street, was this just hearsay? My clutches were delivered last week and still in the box, contemplating on whether or not to install after reading the thread. Opinions are welcome. Thanks

#2 ·
like anything, you are usually only going to hear about the issues…..there are lots of guys running this setup without issue. Hopefully they will respond and make you feel better about your decision.

#3 ·
Can't speak for the STM primary, but I do have thier secondary. I've only had it out once since putting it on, but no issues with it what so ever.

#6 ·
Rage3 and gen2 on mine and love it!

#7 ·
a bit off topic here but has anyone raced 2 comparable Mavericks with QSC/STM and an STM/STM setup? Just curious what the difference would be....

#8 ·
Just follow ALL the instructions when installing and you will be fine. However, I do think there is a bolt behind the Secondary that needs to be grinded down when using full STM set up. The STM primary sits in a little more than a QSC, so this causes the secondary to sit in closer to the engine and I have heard at full shift out it can hit a small bolt or nut. So I would check that for clearance and you'll be good to go.

Then get out there and beat up on some XP1K's

#9 ·
Just follow ALL the instructions when installing and you will be fine. However, I do think there is a bolt behind the Secondary that needs to be grinded down when using full STM set up. The STM primary sits in a little more than a QSC, so this causes the secondary to sit in closer to the engine and I have heard at full shift out it can hit a small bolt or nut. So I would check that for clearance and you'll be good to go.
Kris reported that STM has made note of this and has machined the back of the secondary to accommodate the bolt so no trimming required if he ordered his after the fix. Should be easy enough to see by looking at the back side of the sheave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.