Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I took the 15 year old kid with me as I was working on getting my machine back together at Hardline's place. Rich was nice enough to let my son and his friend drive his Rzr 570. Within 15 minutes they had rolled it, in their defense it is very tipsy. Rich is known to dump it pretty regularly, so it wasn't a news flash. The positive was he was hooked and wanted one. I'd previously bought him a 500 ATV...which he never drove once and had zero interest in...so I sold it and took a blood bath on it. The Mrs. explained the issue is he would go if he can take a friend. OK, so I get it..

So looking at machines, I do not want to buy another Maverick because I am not giving him that much power to get in trouble with. I'd also like to increase my options should I want a more narrow machine to go on trails too small for the Mav. The 50 inch Polaris is very tipsy, and by the time you get an 800S those damn things are within a few hundred bucks of a Mav. And I cannot justify that. Any rumors of a 50 inch Mav or something? How good are the commanders? Last but not least...as a previous Wildcat owner I loved the suspension and how low to the ground it was, but most of all how stable it was. I see they have a 60 HP 50 inch that looks pretty cool. Retails for 12 grand, so I assume you can get out the door for around 10. Anyone know anything about that machine? Issues? They got rid of the damn wet clutch which is why I got rid of my wildcat...looks like a fun little machine.

Looking for some help, don't want to mess this decision up. Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
well, I don't know how much seat time your son has on motorized vehicles but if you buy him something to under powered, her will out grow it quickly and get bored and not ride at all. My 14 year old son drive my Maverick darn near as well as I do but he has been riding quads and also dirt bikes since he was 6. You could get him a Maverick or Commander and only let him use the grey key or even the orange key if you are that worried about the power......The trail version of the Wildcat is intriguing but again, I think it will be underpowered and he will out grow it quickly.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I saw a wildcat trail absolutely destroy a group of rzrs and a highly modded tyrex at a torn race a few weeks back. that thing was a beast and I was very impressed, it wasn't even a race, the owner had only bought it 3 days prior.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good luck finding your way thru the choices. Im not. Rzr fan but Why not start him off with a used vehicle?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yessir it is. I might let my sled go as a trade if someone wanted a monster of a sled. The new sled I am buying is going to run damn near 16 grand...and my sled can't be driven by anyone not very experienced, I'd never let my son on it. 165 HP is serious business.

As for used...man the pricing I am seeing is sometimes higher than a new one...and that's just insanity. I see 2008 Rzr 800's for 9 grand. I can get that Arctic Cat that retails for 12 for not much more than that 9 grand I bet. I've seen 800s's for 15 grand...it's insanity. I had no idea these things hold their value like they do...or maybe industry wide people just overvalue their used machines? Heck I don't know.

And also you guys are going to start riding and I don't have a machine to ride yet....so having something would be nice. My Mav is a couple weeks out from being together minimum.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
The new trailcat is really nice and has tons of power. It is something you could take out and enjoy as well. Trailcat has a longer wheelbase than the rzr so that should help with stability.

If you are not looking new, I would look for a rhino or teryx with long travel suspension. Can get great deals on those used. If you are not adverse to Polais I would think RZR800s maybe a viable option (60" wide and better suspension than the standard rzr). There are plenty of used ones out there with tons of aftermarket stuff at reasonable prices.

Or maybe find a 2013.5 standard Wildcat (has the better clutch set up and not all the issues the earlier Wildcat had with th motor leaking). Good deals on those used as well.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I was also going to suggest a used rhino or Teryx but I think he wants 60" only, for trail riding.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think it makes sense to get a second 60"+ UTV...maybe I am wrong. I can't say I've ever had an issue with being too wide...but I've ridden a lot in the same area...and would love to expand the horizons. I know there are trails in MN that are 50 inch required...but then I've never seen one. It also seems like a heck of a deal too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Wildcat Trail gets my vote
This is what I would buy right now if I were in the market for a trail capable UTV. Pretty impressive little unit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
what about the polaris ACE?? I have been thinking bout one for my son also.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rhino !

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alex, you think it's possible they might make a move into the 50 inch segment? Or a new bigger and badder Maverick? I am dumping a ton of money into my mav currently....I can't see letting jr have the thing to drive....ugh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts