Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mavrick came with a second air filter in a little baggy with a couple little pieces to fit it into the air box,
Do you guys use this filter too? I'm mostly playing in the mud or riding some tight trails so we really don't get moving to fast. I haven't put it in yet and the bike is doing good (minus those bent tie rods) so should I just leave it out? :question:

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Are you talking about the foam post filter that mounts in the rear of the airbox?

If so yes you should run it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that's it.
Thank u very much

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
My paper filter has been very dirty and if it wasn't for that oiled foam filter my engine would have sucked in a lot of dust.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My Mavrick came with a second air filter in a little baggy with a couple little pieces to fit it into the air box,
Do you guys use this filter too? I'm mostly playing in the mud or riding some tight trails so we really don't get moving to fast. I haven't put it in yet and the bike is doing good (minus those bent tie rods) so should I just leave it out? :question:
I would not run without it. Also, it should be oiled.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sorry for the lack of knowledge on this one but how exactly does the air flow thru these 2 filters? Paper filter first from the bottom up and then thru the blue post filter top down and then into the intake? The post filter looks really restrictive to me and if you had a good main filter, you shouldn't need a post filter should you?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yes u are correct with the routing , !

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I ran mine a couple times without it and gained rpm. That's prolly why the new turnkey setup gains power!!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
thats what I was wondering…..so this filter obviously is for small dust particulates and not sand etc….so, I see no reason to run this in the dunes do you?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't even remember they gave me that filter until yesterday I ran across it I have bout 20 hours on my mavrick so if its been doing fine maybe I should leave it out? I'm mustly in the mud no real small particals to suck up really. I'm gonna put it in n see if it changes my rpm if so it might get tossed

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
If the stock paper filter is that poor at stopping small particulates, to where you need a post filter, then I want a better primary filter! Who make a good drop in filter for the Maverick???

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
thats what I was wondering…..so this filter obviously is for small dust particulates and not sand etc….so, I see no reason to run this in the dunes do you?
Part of the problem is sand and dust bypassing the paper filter by being sucked in under the lid, especially around the corners of it. You should put grease on the lid before installing it. And IMHO, everyone should use the post filter!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I was considering cutting the post filter in half so it was not so thick and maybe that would help reduce the restriction but still provide filtration.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
what u can do is just clean it get all that dang oil out of it , and then lightly re-oil it with maxima tacky oil spray I run a k&n filter also and use same tacky spray on it with the edges greased of course and bam , perfect set up lol :)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
thanks Benzo - Did you see any increase in RPM with this setup?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I run a K&N (oiled with K&N oil the spray) then i cleaned a shit load of acces oil out of the secondary filter and box. and rear oiled it with Maxima. runs much better. !

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
image.jpg [/ATTACH] image.jpg
Yea I'm gonna remove all that oil its pretty thick then put it in

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Ya seems to rev quick and smooth !

·
Registered
998 Posts
They come excessively oiled from the factory, way too much. I've always run mine an clean it after 300 miles, it always gets dirty so I think its cheap insurance for everyone to run it. I put a thin coat of grease on both half's of my airbox again just another step to prevent dust leaking through. Always use a good foam airfilter oil on the post filter

1 - 20 of 27 Posts