Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
lol

tons of post on this

yes rocks get stuck in there and the mud scrapers help keep them in there and bam :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Take the scrapers off, that will help a little. But bigger stuff will still get hung up on the caliper. The fix will be 14" wheels. Don't know why BRP thought 0" clearance will be the answer to what size wheels needed to be installed. I've already had a rock get hung against my caliper and landed off a jump a knocked a hole thru my wheel.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Take the scrapers off, that will help a little. But bigger stuff will still get hung up on the caliper. The fix will be 14" wheels. Don't know why BRP thought 0" clearance will be the answer to what size wheels needed to be installed. I've already had a rock get hung against my caliper and landed off a jump a knocked a hole thru my wheel.
The perfect excuse for new rims!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is sad is I actually did a search, found no results, I just did it again and found some....no I was not drinking either...lol...thanks
lol

tons of post on this

yes rocks get stuck in there and the mud scrapers help keep them in there and bam :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You want the rims scratched or holes punched in the rim?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
14" wheels is what he's saying, so you have enough clearance between the rim and the caliper for rocks and debri to clear without wedging themselves and scraping up your rims. I took my scrapers off, but after Mega fubared his rear brake with them off, I put mine back on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wheel size. The rocks get inside the wheel and hang on the scraper. Take the scraper off and it hits the caliper. Run a larger wheel and it will take a larger rock to get hung on either. So same problem, but less likely.

·
Registered
568 Posts
And with the 12" rims, if you bend one it will get into the bleeder screw. Go with the 14" when you can. Happened to me twice so far.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I wonder if you somehow angled the wiper so that it feeds the debris out of the rim, if it would help clear stuff out quicker instead of letting it sit in there like a rock tumbler at 70MPH???

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It might, but from what I have noticed it's the smaller rocks n pebbles that get wedged between the scraper and the rim that do the damage. I was thinking of trying to modify a mud cover to fit on the inside, but thought that might trap more crap...Not really ready to pop for 4 new wheels and tires just yet. In the mean time I'm leaving my scrapers on...don't need a bent rotor on top of scratched rims.

·
Registered
244 Posts
does canam warranty the wheels that have been damaged by rocks getting stuck in there?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
For me, its the lesser of 2 evils to just live with the scrapes. The damage that can happen if the scraper is removed will cost even more $. If I change to 14" rims & tires, then that is alot more $. So the scraped rims will just have to be part of it.

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
that's my theory too......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts