Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I had to go to a local dealer for a VIN check, one I have known for years. they don't sell canams at that dealership, the sister store does, but I have bought Polaris and Yamaha things from them for many years, going back a few years, so I know the service people pretty well.

they were in love with max big time, many come out and looked it over. anyway he said we have the new xp1000 Polaris in stock and built now in back if you want to look it over. could not resist. well, sounds like a vacumm cleaner, shocks could look better, its basically still a Polaris, they have improved the ability to get to filters and belts greatly, which is a plus for them. however they still fall short on form fit and function and is no where near the caliber of the mavericks style and class and defined things. other than gaining 19 hp over the xp 900 (I think it has 88hp) and a couple ponies over maverick, its not really any big changes, lot of tweeks and stuff. talking about looks, form fit and function. im not sure its going to beat a maverick in a dead race, and if it should, it will be a couple feet over a long run, IF it could, remains to be seen yet. I just could not justify buying that for the money it costs, if I owner a good 88hp xp, I would not trade up for the cost, unless I needed the 19hp. if I owned a maverick, there is no chance I would trade out for that machine. my impression is Polaris is still trying to figure out what to do, that machine gets a B- over all speaking, taking it all into account. if I only cared HP and not a thing else, then a A grade. its about more than hp for sure and maverick is still tops. you would just have to ride it to see what I mean. even a few of the techs said they wanted a mav. so if your Polaris person, its ok, nothing to run home and yell about. at least my 2 cents worth. I would stick with my xp900. instead of spending that much $$$

·
Registered
221 Posts
I raced an XP1K last night on my street. there dead nuts tie well past 400ft. 1/4mile the xp by a half length. nothin special for all the hype its getting

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That's good news for us guys that have upgraded clutches.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I cant wait for a video with a mav w/ clutches racing a xp1

·
Registered
964 Posts
With the extra weight and larger tires I would expect that ate up some HP. What does he XP1k weigh?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
With the extra weight and larger tires I would expect that ate up some HP. What does he XP1k weigh?
I think I read that it was about 80 lbs heavier than the Mav.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah I wasn't impressed at all and I'm glad I didn't wait for that thing... Honestly I liked my 2013 RZR XP 900 better than the new RZR 1000. Fit and finish was better on the 900 than the new unit I think. It's like they threw it together and it's just awkward. For the testing they did supposedly a couple years with that 1000 it just isn't there for me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
One guy over there measured his new 1000 and it was wider than 64". No thanks.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, like I posted a few days back.. I just don't think polaris knows what to do, its kind of obvious from what there doing. even if I hated canam I would say this. I give credit where its due. heck I think that john deere sxs is not bad at all, I mean were talking john deere....lol.. I need more hp than the 54 it has, but they did some homework and made what they offered pretty nice.

to many years at the top slopping out whatever and its costing them now. problem is canam ( and some other oem's) are hard core into it and will push the envelope further which puts popo behind deeper. its not a one company game anymore. they lived off there media campains, false rumor startings and brand loyality, suddenly there losing that. I have many friends who own sxs / atv, I can say 4 of them have left pop in the last 1 year. 1 teryx, 3 canam. by the way that teryx is a monster climbing slow long rocky hills...it may be slow but it rocks up for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
so I had to go to a local dealer for a VIN check, one I have known for years. they don't sell canams at that dealership, the sister store does, but I have bought Polaris and Yamaha things from them for many years, going back a few years, so I know the service people pretty well.

they were in love with max big time, many come out and looked it over. anyway he said we have the new xp1000 Polaris in stock and built now in back if you want to look it over. could not resist. well, sounds like a vacumm cleaner, shocks could look better, its basically still a Polaris, they have improved the ability to get to filters and belts greatly, which is a plus for them. however they still fall short on form fit and function and is no where near the caliber of the mavericks style and class and defined things. other than gaining 19 hp over the xp 900 (I think it has 88hp) and a couple ponies over maverick, its not really any big changes, lot of tweeks and stuff. talking about looks, form fit and function. im not sure its going to beat a maverick in a dead race, and if it should, it will be a couple feet over a long run, IF it could, remains to be seen yet. I just could not justify buying that for the money it costs, if I owner a good 88hp xp, I would not trade up for the cost, unless I needed the 19hp. if I owned a maverick, there is no chance I would trade out for that machine. my impression is Polaris is still trying to figure out what to do, that machine gets a B- over all speaking, taking it all into account. if I only cared HP and not a thing else, then a A grade. its about more than hp for sure and maverick is still tops. you would just have to ride it to see what I mean. even a few of the techs said they wanted a mav. so if your Polaris person, its ok, nothing to run home and yell about. at least my 2 cents worth. I would stick with my xp900. instead of spending that much $$$
So, a new tube chassis. New body, new lights front and rear. New suspension/shocks. New seats, wait, I will just say "almost everything is new" and you say, "it's not really any big changes". Now, I don't own a can-am, but I think they are nice machines. I have driven a Maverick and i really liked it.

I personally would educate myself before making any claims about what they are or are not. Again, I think the Mavericks are nice machines. They definitely have their qualities. But just not my cup of tea for the sand dunes.

I am the one who posted the xp1000 vs xp900 race you guys were talking about on here in another topic. Both machines are mine. And now that I have completely broken the motor in, it's a little different race with the Xp1000 vs the Xp900. I will be uploading the video tomorrow. The Life of a Dune Addict - YouTube check it out tomorrow night. It will have a "street drag race" on a open road, also dirt races in both 2wd and 4wd.

Who knew Polaris would retard the timing until it was completely broken in???? Now we know. See u in the dunes fellow off roaders.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seat,lights stuff like that is tweeks, I mean I can put a new coat of paint on a 10 year old truck, change the seats, cover the dash and make it look pretty good, its stillhowever a dodge or chevy or ford. its still not any big changes, a refresh at best in the general term. I did not say there no real changes in the hp or motor, its still a cheap looking after thought by Polaris. especially when you cojnsider the price for them, for a 2 seater.

no, dollar for dollar, its not a lot, outside the engine part (hp) which is only part of the whole game. for the 1% die hard racers, the 107 will look good. its not worth its cost and still has the classy popo traits all over it. that's my point

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its all good bro, im glad you have both, we all have opinions, and I for one really thought popo was going to step up the game and make canam back up and say--whoa, wait a minute here... but its not to be, not even close. especially if you take dollar for dollar value. cost of a stock maverick 2 seater against the xp 1. im actually more dis appointed in popo company than the machine itself for not putting there best foot forward. just like that flop last year, a modified 4 seater, jagged x thing, that was made in a 2 seater...really.....lol.. flop!

·
Registered
31 Posts

seat,lights stuff like that is tweeks, I mean I can put a new coat of paint on a 10 year old truck, change the seats, cover the dash and make it look pretty good, its stillhowever a dodge or chevy or ford. its still not any big changes, a refresh at best in the general term. I did not say there no real changes in the hp or motor, its still a cheap looking after thought by Polaris. especially when you cojnsider the price for them, for a 2 seater.

no, dollar for dollar, its not a lot, outside the engine part (hp) which is only part of the whole game. for the 1% die hard racers, the 107 will look good. its not worth its cost and still has the classy popo traits all over it. that's my point
So a new chassis, new suspension (trailing arms/a arms), shocks, new body, new interior, new motor, new trans is a tweak? Ok. Don't let your brand loyalty blind you. I am not saying its a better machine than a Maverick, but at the same time I am not going to say a Maverick is just a tweaked Commander.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
So, a new tube chassis. New body, new lights front and rear. New suspension/shocks. New seats, wait, I will just say "almost everything is new" and you say, "it's not really any big changes". Now, I don't own a can-am, but I think they are nice machines. I have driven a Maverick and i really liked it.

I personally would educate myself before making any claims about what they are or are not. Again, I think the Mavericks are nice machines. They definitely have their qualities. But just not my cup of tea for the sand dunes.

I am the one who posted the xp1000 vs xp900 race you guys were talking about on here in another topic. Both machines are mine. And now that I have completely broken the motor in, it's a little different race with the Xp1000 vs the Xp900. I will be uploading the video tomorrow. The Life of a Dune Addict - YouTube check it out tomorrow night. It will have a "street drag race" on a open road, also dirt races in both 2wd and 4wd.

Who knew Polaris would retard the timing until it was completely broken in???? Now we know. See u in the dunes fellow off roaders.

its a can am site ur gonna get a lil chit , lol but we like ur post and videos ,

I hope they took a lot of timing out cuz a clutch maverick will leave u a few cars behind right now

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a new chassis, new suspension (trailing arms/a arms), shocks, new body, new interior, new motor, new trans is a tweak? Ok. Don't let your brand loyalty blind you. I am not saying its a better machine than a Maverick, but at the same time I am not going to say a Maverick is just a tweaked Commander.

its all good bro, like said this is a maverick forum so its going to get a kicking. it is what it is, tweeks, this or that, whatever, its still a Polaris at days end. I don't really have brand loyality like you may think. read a post I made a while back, I have owned Polaris and my reasons for not owning them now. not going to go into it again, just search posts I replied in.

I still say it looks cheesy and an after thougt on form fit and function ( and in fairness that damn yellow storage type thing in the back of the max looks cheesy after thought to unless someone can tell me its use....lol) , I absolutely feel its way over priced and in the end it will not be much better than the xp 900 is in real world riding, except for a few more ponies. the value is horrible dollar to dollar. see im talking the whole picture here bro, price, looks, function, appearance, handling. etc. who has the most when its dollar to dollar, can am by a long shot. the popo machine is not worth its price. my opinion. im glad you have one and im sure you love it, good luck to you. if you should need pulled out of a trail, my maverick will be glad to do it for you ....smile....in the end hope to seriously ride a trail and enjoy the world of SXS with ya someday bro. its the sport we all love.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I raced an XP1K last night on my street. there dead nuts tie well past 400ft. 1/4mile the xp by a half length. nothin special for all the hype its getting
It would be nice to see u race him again when they have a full tank of gas like u did on the mav. Just to make it a fare stock for stock equal race. I don't care if the xp weighs more cause that's wat Polaris brought to the table, so take some gas outa that mav..lol and run them again

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pretty funny how everyone was like oooo, PoPo sucks until MarlboroMan posted. I agree you can't let brand loyalty get in the way of formulating an objective opinion. Stuff like that is for guys like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, it's the same thing if you think about it

I wouldn't slam a Mav just because I have an XP so why would anyone do the reverse? Just be glad we all have options and the SXS market is still growing

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the xp1k is the price tag.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I actually like the new XPK1 better than all of the previous versions of the Polaris offerings. As most of you know I had been looking at buying a second SxS and settled on a 2013 Wildcat X over the Maverick and the XPK1, why because thats what fit's me today no more no less. I still feel both the Can am (I already own an LT Commander) and the polaris have too high center of gravity for my tastes as I am accustomed to a high ground clearence low center of gravity machines like my Pilots and Rail buggy. For what it's worth all the manufactures are doing what they can to be competive in this market. In order for them to do that compromises have to be made along the way. They all are good products with different sets of issues. It's the nature of the beast so to speak. Buy what you like and at the end of the day your in the dirt, how much better does it get!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts