Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good map to augment my Lowrance Carbon GPS with PointOne. I have the funtrax map but it doesn't cover all areas and the navionics isn't detailed enough. Any suggestions? I looked at the Garmin 66i but it only lets you download 5 square miles at a time. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
82 Posts
Jon,

You could try www.ruggedroutes.com, There are many places to get maps, even www.pciradios.com. Here is the cavaet, Lowrance is really made for water, and if you want a map you can actually get google earth maps/trails online (just search for them) then convert them from kml/kmz to gpx files, then put them on the SD card and import them. BUT high res sattelite images i.e. 1 meter/px is hard to find for many area's. I have a Lowrance HDS Live (one generation newer) and there was a learning curve.

The image below (Ocotillo Wells, Ca.) was a google earth map with POI's and trails I simply converted and imported, note, there is no sattelite map background, I haven't figured that part out yet, or haven't found one to buy for my area.

You profile doesn't say your location yet, so I can't research if there is a sattelite imagery available yet. Keep in mind even if you had the imagery, you may still want the trails for that area, you can have both, just a couple of extra steps..

You many need to ask yourself, do I want to know where the trails are, more than a old sattelite image...

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jon,

You could try www.ruggedroutes.com, There are many places to get maps, even www.pciradios.com. Here is the cavaet, Lowrance is really made for water, and if you want a map you can actually get google earth maps/trails online (just search for them) then convert them from kml/kmz to gpx files, then put them on the SD card and import them. BUT high res sattelite images i.e. 1 meter/px is hard to find for many area's. I have a Lowrance HDS Live (one generation newer) and there was a learning curve.

The image below (Ocotillo Wells, Ca.) was a google earth map with POI's and trails I simply converted and imported, note, there is no sattelite map background, I haven't figured that part out yet, or haven't found one to buy for my area.

You profile doesn't say your location yet, so I can't research if there is a sattelite imagery available yet. Keep in mind even if you had the imagery, you may still want the trails for that area, you can have both, just a couple of extra steps..

You many need to ask yourself, do I want to know where the trails are, more than a old sattelite image...

Jason
Jason
Have you figured out been able to find a map set that is navagable? Meaning I'm here and want to go there. The plotter maps a course other than a straight line to navigate according to available trails/roads, etc?

I picked up an Elite 7 Ti over the holidays but have not installed. A buddy did the same and ordered the PCI maps. We live in Idaho so picked 5 total states surrounding Idaho for them to create map. Let's just say that the map detail was less than stellar and downright poor. He returned the map cards back to PCI and we are looking for a better option.

I have a Garmin Montana hand held as well and used a combination of Base Camp, Google, and a Gamin map. The Garmin map is navigable which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm aware of converting file formats as well as an option. The navigable portion is a huge benefit in my opinion.

Appreciate any input you have.

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
82 Posts
Jason
Have you figured out been able to find a map set that is navagable? Meaning I'm here and want to go there. The plotter maps a course other than a straight line to navigate according to available trails/roads, etc?

I picked up an Elite 7 Ti over the holidays but have not installed. A buddy did the same and ordered the PCI maps. We live in Idaho so picked 5 total states surrounding Idaho for them to create map. Let's just say that the map detail was less than stellar and downright poor. He returned the map cards back to PCI and we are looking for a better option.

I have a Garmin Montana hand held as well and used a combination of Base Camp, Google, and a Gamin map. The Garmin map is navigable which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm aware of converting file formats as well as an option. The navigable portion is a huge benefit in my opinion.

Appreciate any input you have.
Tik,

Short answer is no, I don't know/ haven't figured that out yet, not positive that these units have the ability of say, Apple Maps/Google Maps course plotting when navigating. I would venture to guess that the Magellan TRX 7+ MAY do that since it's interface most closely matches your request, I don't own one. Since Lowrance is mainly meant for water, I can tell it to navigate me to a POI, but it will only show a bearing line and not a course via existing trails.

Every trip, I set mine to record my tracks, so it overlays on top of the loaded trails, as reference.

Excellent question, others here definitely know more than I do, and respect everyones input!

Jason

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used Garmin for 15 years, got tired of the tiny screen/poor display and changed to a Samsung military grade tablet (Active2) which unlike many regular tablets will not overheat and shut down from direct sunlight here in AZ. IMO the latest and best trail maps are the Avenza geospatial PDFs which are very easy to use and available for more and more popular areas. Next best is the old GPX either free, purchased or made yourself in Google Earth. Whichever for our purposes you need a trail map not just a topo unless your just going to make your own way because you can do that without a map.
Note, that with a tablet you do need to make sure that it has a built-in GPS and not just WiFi GPS unless you will never be out of range of a WiFi signal.

·
Administrator
2,202 Posts
I used Garmin for 15 years, got tired of the tiny screen/poor display and changed to a Samsung military grade tablet (Active2) which unlike many regular tablets will not overheat and shut down from direct sunlight here in AZ. IMO the latest and best trail maps are the Avenza geospatial PDFs which are very easy to use and available for more and more popular areas. Next best is the old GPX either free, purchased or made yourself in Google Earth. Whichever for our purposes you need a trail map not just a topo unless your just going to make your own way because you can do that without a map.
Note, that with a tablet you do need to make sure that it has a built-in GPS and not just WiFi GPS unless you will never be out of range of a WiFi signal.
By chance, can you say if that Active2 tablet has a better lit screen than the regular tablets we normally use?

We have used a 7" Samsung Tab A for 5 years now in all of our riding areas on the West coast. It is getting maxed out on storage/memory, battery is tired, etc. My only complaint is the screen lighting is less that adequate at times, so it is installed up by the roof above the passenger to keep out of sunlight and less sun on the screen.

I will install another GPS on the center dash... haven't decided between a Lowrance, Magellan, or another tablet (will be a 10" this time). Maybe your suggestion of an Active2 is a viable option for what I'm wishing to do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think the screen is any brighter than a TAB A which is also what I started with. Problem with the TAB A for me was the high temperature shut down that I experienced on more than one ride. As you likely know the temp here can get up to 110 easily mid summer. Even through I had it mounted in the shade it would slowly heat up from occasional sun exposure and the first thing it would do was show a temp warning and that would be followed by auto shut down that even putting it next to an ice pack would not revive. Tried covering it with a towel but no improvement. I stumbled accross the Active2 when looking for a solution. It is very close to the TAB A except it has what they refer to as mil spec parts. It has better resistance to shock. water and temperature.

·
Administrator
2,202 Posts
I don't think the screen is any brighter than a TAB A which is also what I started with. Problem with the TAB A for me was the high temperature shut down that I experienced on more than one ride. As you likely know the temp here can get up to 110 easily mid summer. Even through I had it mounted in the shade it would slowly heat up from occasional sun exposure and the first thing it would do was show a temp warning and that would be followed by auto shut down that even putting it next to an ice pack would not revive. Tried covering it with a towel but no improvement. I stumbled accross the Active2 when looking for a solution. It is very close to the TAB A except it has what they refer to as mil spec parts. It has better resistance to shock. water and temperature.
Thanx Gary.....

I think for simplicity purposes I will go with another tablet so as to import all of our years of tracks and waypoints from our Tab A....less hassle setting 2 different units up each time we move to our next riding area.

I will look into that tablet and hopefully there is a 10"+ version offered also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Active Pro is 10.1"

·
Registered
88 Posts
The card can add a lot of storage space. Slick50 is right about the 10 inch version Active which I had not seen. It was released last quarter

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Active Pro with 64 GB internal and 256 GB SD card. OsmAnd map with Microsoft Hybrid underlay map & Backwoods ATV Trail maps overlay for offline GPS navigation. Includes turn by turn navigation, route recording, pin favorite spots, and POI's just to name a few. Red trails are "Ride The Wilds " main corridor trails, yellow trails are club trails.

SD card has all my MP3 tunes which stream via bluetooth to Rugged Radio intercom 😁

·
Administrator
2,202 Posts
Active Pro with 64 GB internal and 256 GB SD card. OsmAnd map with Microsoft Hybrid underlay map & Backwoods ATV Trail maps overlay for offline GPS navigation. Includes turn by turn navigation, route recording, pin favorite spots, and POI's just to name a few. Red trails are "Ride The Wilds " main corridor trails, yellow trails are club trails. View attachment 251185

SD card has all my MP3 tunes which stream via bluetooth to Rugged Radio intercom
Thanx for the info.... I'll look into the 10.1" Active Pro!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up getting a Garmin Explorer Plus so I have SOS and can use the GPS on my iPad. The satellite maps that come with Earthmate are really old. Has anyone got it to work with other satellite maps or trail maps?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I was hesitant to chime in on this post since the OP was specifically referring to a purpose-built GPS unit but since the topic breached the tablet subject I’ll give my thoughts. I use an iPad (the 2018 10.5 inch). It is WIFI only but for GPS location I use the Bad Elf GPS puck which is faster and more accurate than the built in GPS with a cellular model and cheaper to purchase separately than the extra cost of cellular without the monthly plan costs. It’s plenty bright enough, especially with the anti-glare screen guard.

It mounts using a case that was originally designed for aviation use that has a built in mounting point. The case is designed to insulate the unit from heat and has never overheated on me in the 2 years I’ve been using it in the AZ desert. It works with their mount or standard RAM configurations.

I use GAIA and Avenza which are very detailed and will easily do what the OP was asking about. With all of the applications there are learning curves and preparation for use prior to your trip but well worth it in my opinion. Maps are available for just about everywhere and can by used with the standard Google Earth formats exported. No SD cards, etc. In addition, the LEADNAV apps and hardware are excellent but it is a bit higher priced than the apps I use now. All that and I can remove it from the car in 2 seconds, take it in the house and be using it for work in a flash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guy’s, have any of you looked at the lifetime trailmaps ?
we’ve got one and it has opened up a lot of trails we didn’t know were there, you can buy the
tablet or just the maps..

·
Administrator
2,202 Posts
Any GPS and mapping today is so far advanced compared to yesteryear. I was going thru old family photos last night and found one of grampa's clumsy looking GPS on his car dash. It is pretty fuggly looking by today's standards!....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts