Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just picking up my new addition to the toy barn. I know nothing about Can-Am's as I've been a Polaris guy my whole life. This machine will be used on the Oregon dunes its whole life. What's the best Paddle/front tire combo for this machine? I ran Douglas Dunes on my RZR S and really liked them.. But this has way more power!

Thanks for the help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
684 Posts
Welcome, I run these in the Oregon dunes and they perform awesome. 2wd they climbed everything at Winchester and Coos Bay, the thing feels pretty much unstoppable with this setup.

26x12x12 10 paddle extreme on 12x10 Douglas red label (rear) 27x9x12 smooth buff on 12x8 Douglas red label (front) both from skat.
A lot of the guys riding down south say to run 8 paddle, but I talked to Dave from Fullerton and this is what he suggested for our area.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You should to have the same size to run 4wd. You might get away with it if you only run 4wd in the sand. Once you hit gravel or pavement stop and put it back in 2wd. You could also have tranny problems down the road.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You should to have the same size to run 4wd. You might get away with it if you only run 4wd in the sand. Once you hit gravel or pavement stop and put it back in 2wd. You could also have tranny problems down the road.
If you are on gravel or pavement put your dirt tires back on! But seriously, the bead to bead buff and R.O. Makes the tires the same diameter so running in 4wd is fine anyway

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are on gravel or pavement put your dirt tires back on! But seriously, the bead to bead buff and R.O. Makes the tires the same diameter so running in 4wd is fine anyway
I run 2wd most of the time. 4wd is for sticky situations.

·
Registered
684 Posts
26x12.5x12 staggered 12 paddle gliders and smoothies on 12x7 front wheel and 12x8 rear wheels.

Does anyone know what those wheels weigh? Hard to beat Douglas for a good strong light wheel. I used to run gliders on my built yfz but they just aren't enough paddle for the Oregon dunes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is the worst set up I've ever seen. . . .are you serious. . . .smoothies in the front. . . .straight paddles in the rear. . . .are you planning on strictly running straight up and down the hills or do you want to dune ??? If you want to dune, put the stock tires back on the front, bring them down to 3-5 psi and get yourself some ITP sand stars that has a V shape paddle. Why a V shape paddle ?? A V shape paddle will keep your rear end straight when your on the side of a bowl. Straight paddles will let your rear end slide down into the bowl. . . . .

·
Registered
684 Posts
that is the worst set up i've ever seen. . . .are you serious. . . .smoothies in the front. . . .straight paddles in the rear. . . .are you planning on strictly running straight up and down the hills or do you want to dune ??? If you want to dune, put the stock tires back on the front, bring them down to 3-5 psi and get yourself some itp sand stars that has a v shape paddle. Why a v shape paddle ?? A v shape paddle will keep your rear end straight when your on the side of a bowl. Straight paddles will let your rear end slide down into the bowl. . . . .
lol!

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
That is the worst set up I've ever seen. . . .are you serious. . . .smoothies in the front. . . .straight paddles in the rear. . . .are you planning on strictly running straight up and down the hills or do you want to dune ??? If you want to dune, put the stock tires back on the front, bring them down to 3-5 psi and get yourself some ITP sand stars that has a V shape paddle. Why a V shape paddle ?? A V shape paddle will keep your rear end straight when your on the side of a bowl. Straight paddles will let your rear end slide down into the bowl. . . . .
Wow, you really don't have a clue.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Actually this is not completely true. The tires on each side should be the same size but it doesnt matter if they are different from from to rear. Infact a slightly taller front tire is better for handling. It actually steers alot better with a taller front tire. If both fronts are the same size say a 27" and the rears are a 26", this is the preferred setup and it will pull much better in 4wd. This will not cause any problems with the tranny or running gears

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thinking of running this setup. My Tire guy can get me a reasonable deal on them.

Any reason why I shouldn't run Douglas Doons? They are my second choice...

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always thought my gas peddle kept me from sliding down the bowl
So do you think if you have a V shape paddle giving you TRACKTION to keep you from sliding, you would be more stable, and your not working your engine as hard. . . .go climb hills straight up and down and leaving dunning to the pros. . . . .

1 - 20 of 301 Posts