Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that dune season is over i would like to know what paddle tires, and rim combo everyone likes ot thought worked great for them.
Pics if possible
Only comment if you have actually ran paddles on youre mav please.
12" or 14" rims ?
8, 9, 10, or more scoops?
smoothies or ribbed fronts ?

Thanks Guys !

P.S. climbed test in 2wd lol :big smile:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I run 25x10x12 skats 8 paddle with smoothies and it pulls hard as a rap ape - pulled 4 cars by 70 on stock tire maverick never tried top speed !

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I ran against a Maverick with paddles. Does that count? He had 25 x 10 x 12 seven paddles. He pulled my Maverick from the very start, and had about 7 mph more speed. I'm going to order 26 x 12 x 12 eight paddles. The seven paddles just doesn't seem like it would be right to me. And the 10 paddles are definitely too much. I think the eight will be the best compromise.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I ran against a Maverick with paddles. Does that count? He had 25 x 10 x 12 seven paddles. He pulled my Maverick from the very start, and had about 7 mph more speed. I'm going to order 26 x 12 x 12 eight paddles. The seven paddles just doesn't seem like it would be right to me. And the 10 paddles are definitely too much. I think the eight will be the best compromise.
Exactly what I was planning on with 26" smoothies on 12" hyper beadlocks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was at the dealer by my house and they had a mav with 70/30 STU Blaster and the matching front 3 rib. On a maverick it looked bad a$$. I've run the STU's on other rides I have owned and loved them. On my Rzr I am running the 8 paddle extreme hauler. I have a friend with the 7 paddles and it is faster up the hill. I would call Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports or Johnny at UTV inc or Greg at UTV Unleashed. I have gotten great advice and service from all 3 and the funny thing is they do not disagree often..

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I was at the dealer by my house and they had a mav with 70/30 STU Blaster and the matching front 3 rib. On a maverick it looked bad a$$. I've run the STU's on other rides I have owned and loved them. On my Rzr I am running the 8 paddle extreme hauler. I have a friend with the 7 paddles and it is faster up the hill. I would call Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports or Johnny at UTV inc or Greg at UTV Unleashed. I have gotten great advice and service from all 3 and the funny thing is they do not disagree often..
Johnny says 7 paddle skates
Dave say Stu's
Greg??? Have not talked to him about a mav

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
greg hasn't tried paddles on the maverick yet,

dave pushes stu's hard core plus stu's are weak and puncture easy when u shave them the way u need them / and its smooth hard rubber slides to easy in the sand

skats are the best strongest lightest shaved tire around

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dad just picked up a set of paddles for his to run next dune trip that I'm looking forward to see how they perform. They're Extremes front and rear(8pdl fronts, 12pdl rears). Keep in mind that the sand consistency here(South Louisiana) is way different from that of the west coast/Little Sahara/etc so we usually are what most would consider over paddled but it seems to be a tried/true for this area.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
My dad just picked up a set of paddles for his to run next dune trip that I'm looking forward to see how they perform. They're Extremes front and rear(8pdl fronts, 12pdl rears). Keep in mind that the sand consistency here(South Louisiana) is way different from that of the west coast/Little Sahara/etc so we usually are what most would consider over paddled but it seems to be a tried/true for this area.
Sounds like an old fart we ride with "Kerry". He insists his paddles front and rear on his rhino are better than sliced bread.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like an old fart we ride with "Kerry". He insists his paddles front and rear on his rhino are better than sliced bread.
I suppose we'll see. Like I said, different type of sand and no hills here. I even mentioned the smoothie front/8pdl rear combo that seems to be so highly recommended here but he found these for a deal used so decided to give them a shot. The guy he bought them from actually ran them on a XP and sold them to try a smooth front/15pdl rear combo. We should see how they do in a couple weeks, we'll be at the dunes for a race event they're having.

·
Registered
95 Posts
15 paddle, holy shit! That's a lot of digging bud! Gonna suck down a lot of power!

See that's where the difference in sand comes in to play. We only have a small dune area here, about 300 acres that I'm pretty sure was formed by an old lake bed. The sand there is super dense, heavy and very course. So there actually isn't any digging down at all. It's also not very deep, it's basically loose sand on top of a packed sand bottom.

I've been to Little Sahara a couple times, love the place and can't wait to go back, but I'm well aware that what's ideal for here probably won't be ideal for there or anywhere else for that matter due to the sand at LS being deep, very fine/light, almost powder-like.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
as long as your 15 paddles are short or staggered u will be good, if not run 20psi , lol

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Gotta admit though his ol' rhino dunes pretty good, even if it looks EXTREMELY odd...He does gitter done...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I see the front & rear paddles alot up in Oregon & I just don't get it. Ya there's alot more technical trails between the trees & such but I have absolutely no problem with the stock knobbies. I just dont see why you would need paddles up front.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks alot guys for the info ! I have decided on STI V-Rolls with OMF Type-R light wheels. 27x12x14 rear and 27x10x14 front tires. !!

Reactions: Bacher
1 - 20 of 71 Posts