Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to share my experience at dunes.... Ran stock setup my first time at Dumond dunes, needed 4wd to get around anywhere I wanted to go. Made it up the big hills mostly and over transitions fairly easy. 2nd trip to Dumont I change the rears out for paddles, ItP sand stars 10 paddles, the car ran so much better it wasn't even close. Some guys are comparing stock tires in 4wd to paddles and there is no comparison. You NEED to be in 2wd, reason being is the car goes over razor backs with ease, as opposed to 4wd where it tries to pull you and transitions feel way worse, not to mention 4wd drift going up steep hills. Having said that, I sold the crappy ITP paddles (work well but could be better) for skat trak 8 paddle 26.5x12x12 and front ribs. Ordered vision rims 12x8 all around with a 2+6 offset, compared to the 5+2 stock it will be much wider and more stable in the sand.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run the 26.12.12 8 paddle extremes on a 8 inch rim. At first it felt like too much tire, so I pumped them up hard, and love them. The tire duned really well and climbed great. I just needed to run them harder to get them to spin more.

·
Banned
546 Posts
why not run paddles on all 4 =)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the info I have been wondering how big the difference would be. I need to go to dumont. Let us know how much difference the wider stance will make with the new rims. How much wider will it be with the new rims?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes 4 inches per side wider 8 total. I was very surprised how much harder it pulls in 2wd with paddles vs 4wd without. I haven't ran it with the ribs in the front, waiting for them to be shipped. Im sure it will be that much better at the dunes considering the stock front tires are bulky and very heavy, making them plow into transitions.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My STU blasters worked great at Glamis

·
Registered
400 Posts
so question? if i am wanting to go try out the Dunes, is it even worth it if i still have NEW stock tires on?

·
Registered
317 Posts
so question? if i am wanting to go try out the Dunes, is it even worth it if i still have NEW stock tires on?
YES! She still hauls the mail with stock tires. Just air them down. In Glamis, there was not a hill I could not climb with the stock tires. I just duned in 4wd because I didn't like the sketchy feeling I got from the ass end sliding out a bit on the transition at the top of the bowls.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Awesome!!! thanks for the input, as i am a bit tapped out now after getting this thing and adding some accessories so will be awhile before i add more..lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Awesome!!! thanks for the input, as i am a bit tapped out now after getting this thing and adding some accessories so will be awhile before i add more..lol
That's what we all said......look at my signature.....the list keep growing!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sandiegojoe, if your at the dunes mostly I would eventually get paddles, no need for 4wd and the ass end won't slide out on you. The stock tires weigh a ton vs sand tires, I can't imagine the stress it puts on the engine and tranny 4wd at the dunes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not all dunes are created equal. I have ran dumont and glamis for the past 10 years. Dumont has really wicked transitions and I could see how stock tires in 4 would be a challenge. I have not been to Dumont with my Mav. But at glamis, I have no problem running most places in 2 with stock tires. only time i use 4 is long hills. I am a long time quad guy and like to be able to put the ass end where i need it. You cannot go wrong with a good set of paddles though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I can only make the dunes about once a year and last spring, 1st time at dunes, I had a great time on stock tires in 4WD. I had no idea these were that much better with sand tires. I may have to rethink this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts