Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The new Sand Storm belt from GBoost is about to be released (end of May) for the X3 and I wanted spread the news and start some discussion on what belts everyone thinks are the best. What's your favorite drive belt to run?

I like the Bad Ass belt made by GBoost because it seems to truly be the strongest belt out there, in my opinion. GBoost makes both the EVO and Trinity belts and from what I can tell they are all the same GREAT belt. The EVO belt I compared to the GBoost belt both have the same GBoost product number on the side. So when GBoost says the Sand Storm is going to be the STRONGEST belt they have! My eyes grow big and bright!

More information and pre-orders available at BlackMarketUTV.com

What's your favorite drive belt? Is there a great belt out there we haven't tested?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
If we make the belt to strong, what else will break? Will it wear the face of the sheaves?

I know we usually measure them for variance vs OEM but would like to see them all on a scale as well to compare weight.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I'm running the Timken Untimax belt. The 3 year warranty caught my attention. I recall 1 member sharing that he shredded one of these Untimax belts, filed the warranty claim and received a new belt.
I only have just under 300 hard miles on the belt so far, but since it's been in the shop & now my garage getting goodies installed, I pulled the clutch housing cover just to check. Blew out the housing (very minimal dust), examined the belt, still looks new.
It's not like I'm looking forward to shredding it or testing the warranty claim, but it will abused and how could I go wrong at $109.95 ???

Just my 2 pennies worth....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Oem here so far on the x3 and same when I had my xdsT. No problems and why I haven't changed yet, its rare for me to be wide open for that long and I think the cooler general temps in the hills must help with the terrain. But in general I can hit a trail/road pretty hard imo and havent been too worried about it. I have been waiting on a gauge release as I would like to know how hot Im getting.(I see the info on there site is gone and no release date, not good for me) I would be willing to try these other belts though down the road with a decent price and heck if there is a warranty that a company is standing behind, even better.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oem here so far on the x3 and same when I had my xdsT. No problems and why I haven't changed yet, its rare for me to be wide open for that long and I think the cooler general temps in the hills must help with the terrain. But in general I can hit a trail/road pretty hard imo and havent been too worried about it. I have been waiting on a gauge release as I would like to know how hot Im getting.(I see the info on there site is gone and no release date, not good for me) I would be willing to try these other belts though down the road with a decent price and heck if there is a warranty that a company is standing behind, even better.
Have you looked at the Razorback temp gauge? They are kind of expensive but use infrared to measure belts temp rather than air temps like some of the cheaper competitors.

·
Premium Member
7,284 Posts
Have you looked at the Razorback temp gauge? They are kind of expensive but use infrared to measure belts temp rather than air temps like some of the cheaper competitors.
The AIM gauge is quite a bit nicer than the Razorback gauge.

I have almost 3500 miles and and on my third OEM belt with no blow outs yet. I am about to change this belt just for maintenance. Tim

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I am running the GBoost bad ass belt! I reluctantly tried one since I used to believe the OEM belt was best. Thirty minutes into a new oem belt with my e85 tune and the oem belt shredded. Went to a Bad Ass belt with the same clutch setup 1000 miles later of harder abuse and I changed it becauseI sent my clutches to KWI and they recommend a new belt.

I will definitely try the Sand Storm belt. Nothing worse than making big horse power and constant worrying about managing my belt. So far with my first GBoost belt I quit worrying. If the tougher belt wears my clutches prematurely I will just replace them but at least I’m running the dog shit out of it without worrying about blowing a belt constantly.

·
Vendor
1,268 Posts
I am running the GBoost bad ass belt! I reluctantly tried one since I used to believe the OEM belt was best. Thirty minutes into a new oem belt with my e85 tune and the oem belt shredded. Went to a Bad Ass belt with the same clutch setup 1000 miles later of harder abuse and I changed it becauseI sent my clutches to KWI and they recommend a new belt.

I will definitely try the Sand Storm belt. Nothing worse than making big horse power and constant worrying about managing my belt. So far with my first GBoost belt I quit worrying. If the tougher belt wears my clutches prematurely I will just replace them but at least I’m running the dog shit out of it without worrying about blowing a belt constantly.
Exactly how i arrived at the Bad Ass belt as well, clutching and all.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

When you’re ready, hit blackmarketutv.com and use the Mav5Forum code to get 5% off a Sand Storm (codes actually good for anything)!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I have used the oem and blown two so fare in 2k miles. I just put on the XP belt due to the 3 year warranty have not blown it yet but temps are running about 20 degrees hotter than oem. I am going to work on the clutch and see if there is anything that might be making them run hotter?? anyone else notice higher temps with these belts?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The only downside I have heard to these "Bad Ass" belts is you loose several hundred RPM compared to the stock belt.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I have used the oem and blown two so fare in 2k miles. I just put on the XP belt due to the 3 year warranty have not blown it yet but temps are running about 20 degrees hotter than oem. I am going to work on the clutch and see if there is anything that might be making them run hotter?? anyone else notice higher temps with these belts?
Haven't had the same experience.

I should have the car done tomorrow. Can't wait, need dirt, dust & desert therapy !!!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
The AIM gauge is quite a bit nicer than the Razorback gauge.

I have almost 3500 miles and and on my third OEM belt with no blow outs yet. I am about to change this belt just for maintenance. Tim
Damn it, looks like earlier today I should of sold my Razorback gauge, before Tim dropped the "bomb".
Market value back in the gutter.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've had great results with the Gboost badass belt. Full disclaimer, it's the only belt I've ran. Took the OEM off at 50 miles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I thought I heard about a belt from g boost that was the next step up from the sand storm (The best belt )or something like that that’s coming out next month????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts