Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Envious of sand tires after a trip to the dunes, but there are so many variables.

Are beadlocks important in sand? Some say the lighter weight of a non-beadlock wheel is more desireable. They also said to keep pressure up in the 12-13 range to avoid overloading the drive train with excess traction, and that it's unlikely to lose a bead in sand under those conditions.

They said 30" may be more than my non-turbo engine and clutch/belt would like, so I have been leaning toward staying with 14" wheels and 28" O.D. tires.

Lots of opinions about number of paddles, height of paddles, staggered or not, and the consistency of the sand. Most of our 'work' would be done in locations like Gordon's Well and Glamis. Riding GW on stock Bighorn knobbies in 4WD was fun, but I would like to feel more control.

On that note, really want to widen the track because of the top-heavy feeling as equipped for trail riding. Have been looking at DWT 14x10" wheels (5+5) for the rear, and 8" (4+4) on the front. (I think stock is 8" (6+2) rear; 6.5" (4.5+2) front.)

Being a newbie here (and in the sand), I have probably missed out on years of prior wisdom, so forgive me for any rehash. I did search, and others' questions were just different enough... Thx!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank y'all for calling me out - I omitted crucial info!

My questions are in regard to a 2016 Mav Max Xds in stock trim, and I figure on treating Gordon's Well as my baseline location. GW had beautiful fluffy and clean sand in varying states of compaction. I don't yet have any personal experience with Glamis, so if - in your experience - there is significant difference in sand between the two, please add some background on that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would expect to budget $1200 and hope to save some of that by scoring well on the purchase.

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
I would expect to budget $1200 and hope to save some of that by scoring well on the purchase.
JMO, but it's going to be real tough getting either tires or wheels for $1200, let alone both. You might want to look at the for sale section, see if there are any deals out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
For that car nothing bigger than a 28” tire. A Skat 8 paddle would work or the CST Sandblast comes in a 28” set up.

Within your budget you can get a set up with the CST Sandblast. In that size it is not heavy and it’s a great budget minded set up.

Check with the vendors on pricing and Rocky Mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a Set of ITP Sand Stars on my 2013 Maverick.. They were 26x11x12 and they worked well and I bought them used, tire /w rims for under $600.. They Came off of a Kawi Tyrex.. They worked Well!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts