Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
3,740 Posts
I Learn something new everyday. Interesting.
Its a desert boondocking trick...in addition,

The hood is actually open fully during the day, but lowered it that previous night because of that white stuff in the forecast..lol

Also have 2 bars of Irish Spring Original cut in half, tied off in cheesecloth hidden in 4 places under the hood. IknowIknow... I believe in voodoo magic too... Seriously, it has to be the "Original" soap...those sob's will naw on any other variant of Irish Spring.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you live out in the desert for any length of time you will learn this one way or the other. I'm not talking about Phx/Tuc city "desert". I'm talking about more barren desert, away from the metropolitan areas.

Hopefully one learns it via others,,, like this, instead of learning it the hard way by replacing engine bay components.

I've also recently learned a couple tricks to keep desert field mice out of your Toy Hauler if you store it outdoors. (our latest TH is one foot too long for our garage) Barn Cats work great,,,, but we ended up loosing them to Coyote's. ( I was afraid of that) Also, keeping a light on underneath the TH all night, every night, seems to work well. I use a small LED flood light right now. Going to convert to LED strip lighting under the TH that I will hook up to a light sensing timer.

Just thought I'd add to BLR's comments regarding desert varmints in case it helps someone. (y)
Also adding A Bounce sheet to your propane compartment discourages wasp/bees, from making a nest.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Since we're on the stopping / killing of desert pests topic, try using little tiny pieces of Juicy Fruit gum. Not sure about pack rats, but works wonders on ground squirrels (little bastards! LOL). They love the taste (who doesn't), but can't digest it, and it kills them.

Also a trick to keep Havelina away, is to put down moth balls in your bushes or on property lines. They can't stand the smell (who can, smart animals!) and they stay away.

·
Registered
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,760 Posts
I thought you were trying to catch blue butterfly's in the radiator 🙈 I see nothing

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another thing that works for mice at least is mint oil pour some on cotton balls put the balls in metal jar lids or cat food cans etc. Not plastic, refresh as needed it does help.

·
Registered
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,760 Posts
Also adding A Bounce sheet to your propane compartment discourages wasp/bees, from making a nest.

Barbara

I have been using bounce on my collar to keep skeeters away never thought of bees

Been using mothballs for a year's but they are very powerful and can be unhealthy to breathe BUT they work. The mechanic asked me what are these buried in the engine compartment told him why they are there he said he has sold lots of wiring loom’s because critters

I use them in the under belly storage compartment too one of two at a time though they permeate into the rig had to stuff some up in the belly pan for freezing protection. The little bastards chewed my tank level sensor wires

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1st photo is the new diggings of the rawhide mine. (Has definitely enlarge from 5 years ago)
Last 3 pictures are of the original mine

Barbara

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Nice pics. Looks cold. The Wonder mine north of Middlegate is pretty cool as well.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Nice pics. Looks cold. The Wonder mine north of Middlegate is pretty cool as well.
We had been there before, just found out the name of it yesterday.

Very Cold for this time of year..
Last year at this time was 81

Barbara

·
Registered
580 Posts
Great pics!!! From an era I can't even imaging living in. Makes me realize just how much of a softy I am. :rolleyes:
I think that every time we drive through the badlands or middle of nowhere Wyoming lol. Those were some tough SOB’s back in the Wild West days.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Trip to Cold Springs Station for lunch today.. 100 miles round trip..
I drove today so not to many pictures..

Barbara

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This is the finale shot of the day..
Left Cold Spring Station and our friends RZR had a sad death..
1 mile out.. I towed him back to Cold Springs station, called some other friends and they came and rescued him (loaded him on a trailer)

Now we're sitting around the campfire for the night

Barbara

21 - 40 of 56 Posts