Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to install my new S3 bulkhead tonight, top control arm mounts were a complete bitch to remove. Now that I have the car apart, went to put the new bulkhead on and I realize there’s no way in hell I’m going to be able to get on the nut with a wrench. At least nothing big enough to get any amount of torque to it. The bolt heads on the other side are so hard to get to I could barely hold them with a box wrench when trying to loosen them.
Am I seriously going to have to remove the diff to tighten these bolts?? Am I missing something or is this a horrid design?

Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
14,610 Posts
Did you try a swivel extension / socket?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drivers side I was able to jack the car up to gain enough clearance to get the upper control arm bolt decently tight. No idea what to do on the passenger. I cannot fit a socket by itself let alone on a tool, on the nut or bolt. The nut side (in the S3 bulkhead) you can go 1/16 turn at a time with an open end wrench. The bolt side you can barely get a wrench on it to stop it from spinning.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
can you give us a picture that is not so close. I don't have the S2 Bulkhead but several other gussets just trying to see a different view.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Crows foot wrench possibly ?

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
You will have to torque bolts from the Diff side. Diff wasn't in my way to do it. Thats how I did all my upper bolts after I flipped them the opposite way from how they were originally installed. Now I can take a single arm off at a time where before I had to slide them all forward to remove a single arm. This is also due to me having the Super Atv frame stiffener installed. A couple pictures that are not so close will help us see more what is going on in your situation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You will have to torque bolts from the Diff side. Diff wasn't in my way to do it. Thats how I did all my upper bolts after I flipped them the opposite way from how they were originally installed. Now I can take a single arm off at a time where before I had to slide them all forward to remove a single arm. This is also due to me having the Super Atv frame stiffener installed. A couple pictures that are not so close will help us see more what is going on in your situation.
What did you use to get on the nuts? Open end wrench?
Did you remove the diff bolts to gain clearance?

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,767 Posts
What did you use to get one the nuts? Open end wrench?
If you do need to move the diff no big deal just get it done. 4 bolts to move it. A 5th if you need to remove the driveshaft which you might not even have to. 10 minutes extra work.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
What did you use to get one the nuts? Open end wrench?
I used wrench on nut and socket with torque wrench on the diff side. I even have the Halo 30 diff that is bigger and didn't have any issues with using the torque wrench. It was tight but doable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used wrench on nut and socket with torque wrench on the diff side. I even have the Halo 30 diff that is bigger and didn't have any issues with using the torque wrench. It was tight but doable.
I just don’t understand how you got a socket on the diff side. I cannot fit a bare standard depth socket, by itself.
I’m going to try to unbolt the diff to gain more clearance tomorrow…

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I just don’t understand how you got a socket on the diff side. I cannot fit a bare standard depth socket, by itself.
I’m going to try to unbolt the diff to gain more clearance tomorrow…
I have the Halo 30 diff, but I would think that would make it more difficult. I have mine all tore down right now working on making a plate to lower my diff for more prop shaft clearance.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Loosened the diff bolts, was able to go a 1/4 turn at a time til tight. Doubt I got the proper torque though.
You guys commenting, do you have Smart Lok? I’m thinking that’s what’s in the way on my diff.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I’m thinking you guys commenting on how this can be done with a socket wrench don’t have Smart lok. This is what it looks like trying to access the passenger upper bolt. Not happening. And this is after I removed the 4 diff bolts to wiggle the diff out of the way a little.

View attachment 274490
View attachment 274492
View attachment 274493

Also not seeing how the diff is an easy removal…
I had the smart lock, but went to the Halo 30. My diff wasnt in the way to get a socket on the inside to torque it down. I don't have an inside picture, but from this one you can tell diff is not in the way.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I found a picture with inside bolt on mine. Maybe my Halo gives it more room.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Vehicle brake

1 - 20 of 28 Posts