Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with putting in a free flowing intake and exhaust do you guys think I need to put a fuel tuner on it? The mechanical side of my brain says yes, however, since they run so rich from the get go I thought that with the added air flow and free flowing exhaust it'd be right in the sweet air fuel spot? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think not adding a fuel controller after adding an exhaust & intake would be a big risk for the small amount of additional money it takes to buy a controller.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Go to auto zone n purchase an af gauge so you can take the guess work out. There easy to install on the mav

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I think a member from here , dyno'd and lost power with fuel controller as the factory does enough with intake and exhaust mods - but don't quote me

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So should I buy an alba controller for an alba exhaust? Or should any fuel controller do?

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
So should I buy an alba controller for an alba exhaust? Or should any fuel controller do?
The pc5 is the best controller on the market. If you tune it with the addition of timing depending upon the octane of your fuel you will pick up hp and acceleration. The ability to create fuel maps according to you location and riding style is a bonus as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The pc5 is the best controller on the market. If you tune it with the addition of timing depending upon the octane of your fuel you will pick up hp and acceleration. The ability to create fuel maps according to you location and riding style is a bonus as well.
I agree with you on quite a bit. But the Dobeck Performance Gen 4 fuel controller is arguably the best on the market. It creates a true closed loop all the way through the rpm range rather than just until 6000 rpms. Has an A/F gauge you use to tune with and also comes with the O2 sensor needed to install.

If you haven't seen or heard about this you may want to look into it ;-)

Oh and FYI. Mark Dobeck, the owner of Dobeck Performance is also the founder of Dynojet a Research.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Go to auto zone n purchase an af gauge so you can take the guess work out. There easy to install on the mav
Dobeck Performance has something called a SAFR that can be used for tuning. You don't even have to weld a bung. Check it out also. And you don't even have to purchase it. They offer rentals. Seriously.

·
Registered
725 Posts
No shit u can rent odders now!! To fn cool ;) lol jk I have heard good things about the doebeck and the PC5 cant go wrong with either in my book

·
Registered
161 Posts
1st put a AF gauge in, that's the only way to know what way to go with a tuner. I did a cat delete and had put the gauge in before that to get my base line fuel numbers. I used a Dobeck and it works great, you will find that the top end is way to rich and most of the power you will receive will be by cleaning that area up, I even think that you could gain a very small amount of power on a bone stock unit by leaning it down, Stock on mine was in the 11.6 to 11.8, it seems to like it best at 12.3 to 12.4. anyway my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
1st put a AF gauge in, that's the only way to know what way to go with a tuner. I did a cat delete and had put the gauge in before that to get my base line fuel numbers. I used a Dobeck and it works great, you will find that the top end is way to rich and most of the power you will receive will be by cleaning that area up, I even think that you could gain a very small amount of power on a bone stock unit by leaning it down, Stock on mine was in the 11.6 to 11.8, it seems to like it best at 12.3 to 12.4. anyway my 2 cents worth.
Youre right it loves to be leaned out. I got the best performance (finally pulled away from my mod commander) with 14.1 on idle...13.7 through the bottom and mid and 13.2 on wot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts