Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In theory the TCP fan shroud is a great ideal however the only way to get the mud out is to remove it. To me that's too much of a PITA. The thermostat is mechanical so the sensor has no effect on it.
Thank you.. That makes sense after thinking about it. Seems to me if the machine has the ability to cool itself the thermostat has to at least be opening. Not to say its opening all the time at the right temp but its at least opening. So the thermostat either works or it doesn't. I've read a few reviews that just removing it (they even sell a kit for $42) has shown improvement but I kind of worry the coolant doesn't have a chance to cool correctly if it just runs none stop but I still have a great deal to learn about the coolant system. This issue has helped expand my knowledge but I still have a lot to learn.

I hope to reply back to this thread and potentially help others in the future once i'm able to identify exactly what my issue is. The challenge is there are so many variables with over heating. :(

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Thank you.. That makes sense after thinking about it. Seems to me if the machine has the ability to cool itself the thermostat has to at least be opening. Not to say its opening all the time at the right temp but its at least opening. So the thermostat either works or it doesn't. I've read a few reviews that just removing it (they even sell a kit for $42) has shown improvement but I kind of worry the coolant doesn't have a chance to cool correctly if it just runs none stop but I still have a great deal to learn about the coolant system. This issue has helped expand my knowledge but I still have a lot to learn.

I hope to reply back to this thread and potentially help others in the future once i'm able to identify exactly what my issue is. The challenge is there are so many variables with over heating. :(
I know I keep repeating my post, but is it possible you have an air bubble? Did you try and burp the system?

Reactions: Mudskipper

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,031 Posts
I know I keep repeating my post, but is it possible you have an air bubble? Did you try and burp the system?
Unless he drained the system and refilled an air lock won't randomly occur after it had been working normally.

Does sound like a rad to me.

Before going insane chasing gremlins, get a bright light behind the rad and see if light goes through. Takes 2 minutes.

Rads can look spotless in the front. But can be plugged in the back still. Been there done that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm going to guess rad is either blocked, or someone got too close with the pressure washer and bent all the find over.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hollywood - The coolant is 4 years old so i'm going to flush the system wither way, fill under vacuum, and make sure I burp the system with the rear lifted as outlined in the manual just to be safe.

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Unless he drained the system and refilled an air lock won't randomly occur after it had been working normally.

Does sound like a rad to me.

Before going insane chasing gremlins, get a bright light behind the rad and see if light goes through. Takes 2 minutes.

Rads can look spotless in the front. But can be plugged in the back still. Been there done that.

it did for me ! after I overheated once and it pulled air back in I had random overheating

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hollywood - The coolant is 4 years old so i'm going to flush the system wither way, fill under vacuum, and make sure I burp the system with the rear lifted as outlined in the manual just to be safe.
does your coolant smell burnt ? Ive seen several times where there was an overheating situation and the coolant was ruined. You could tell it smelled different/burnt. At four years its getting old

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
does your coolant smell burnt ? Ive seen several times where there was an overheating situation and the coolant was ruined. You could tell it smelled different/burnt. At four years its getting old
You know Mudskipper it has. I noticed it while I was trying to burp the machine. I'm draining the fluid and going back with Evans fluid this weekend. I'll be sure to update the thread of what I find.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you have the ability, try using a touch sensor instead of the IR.

I must measure liquid line temps at work and it is in our spec to NOT use IR due to incorrect readings on lines. (Specifically)

Obviously the measurement tool is not the problem, but it may be sending you down the wrong path during your TSing.

The temps I measure are much cooler, and are fairly precise,,,, just something that came to mind while reading your post. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So far i've ruled out the radiator. Its actually in pretty good shape. very few fins bent. You can see right through it. Its Clean.
Fluid - Smelled pretty bad and almost a little burnt. Seems like maybe it was breaking down (if that is possible) Definitely going to replace this.
Ordered a temp sensor - going to throw it in but I really dont think this is my problem, but it will be one thing I can run out.

I have my entire front end torn down replacing bushings and what not so it will be a minute before I can see if the coolant and a good burping helps with my overheating issue or not. Also replacing the cap on the reservoir just to rule out one more thing. Probably not necessary but again I figured it couldn't hurt. More to come as I progress.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts