Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Oops, sorry I forgot to add that it's " you're a legend in your own mind"
Their, they're, there you go again. Your, yore, you're hostile. Sorry for the stutter.

Reactions: onkyo and Tmesic

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
They need to fix the stuff the current customers have. Until then I will buy a another brand. Still waiting on a factory power steering fix for the 2017.

Not sure where or why this was posted and liked but I will just consider the source and the fact your a legend in your own mind. I have read some of your BS posts and your a ****ing idiot as I suspected.

You have a good day patting yourself on the back and grab your participation trophy

Thinking????????? Hummmm thinking??????? Oh ya I remember now! You went into a can am forum and said until x happens I'm going to buy the competition cars. That statement suggest that all other brands have taken care of there customers concerns and design flaws etc.... and BRP is the only one that does not!
Let me.make it a little simpler for you. A man walks up to a beehive holding a baseball bats rares back and smashes the beehive with the batt. Then he Just stands there with a stupid look on his face. Suddenly he begins to get stung repeatedly he frustratedly swipes at the bees angry that is getting stung when he gets back home he makes one of the stupidest comments hes ever made in his life which is I'm not sure why this happened why did I get stung I don't understand?
I'm not sure if you are just a dim bulb or super Naive, However if you're going to take the current industry standard and leader for sport side by sides with no body and no one with a car that can hold a candle to the X3 in terms of power performance a coming from the factory with a roll cage adequate for the dunes you're gonna get slapped! Hope this helps answere your question.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh? Do explain then please. With technical details included.
I already explained, no desire to repeat myself.
You didn't. Skid plate height at full compression is irrelevant to resisting bottom out. The skid plate touches on the RZR too btw. Most vehicles will touch, or get very close. When designing suspension, you either chose to make the force exert on the arms at full compression, or chassis. Valving is another thing entirely. I'd like to see canam work with fox to revalve based on the out of box ride height. But this is why fox has their recommended setups as well. The x3 is too low stock. I don't think they will change this with 2020 model either. But valving is easy, or adjusting ride height. But some folks prefer the ease of use in the RZR. But that doesn't mean it's better or canam is flawed. That's a useless anecdote.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
I'm pretty sure that BRP already has a DCT carb approved, so its only a matter of time, but I could be wrong on that, but I'm about 85% sure.
The Spyder is as close as you will get.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
You didn't. Skid plate height at full compression is irrelevant to resisting bottom out. The skid plate touches on the RZR too btw. Most vehicles will touch, or get very close. When designing suspension, you either chose to make the force exert on the arms at full compression, or chassis. Valving is another thing entirely. I'd like to see canam work with fox to revalve based on the out of box ride height. But this is why fox has their recommended setups as well. The x3 is too low stock. I don't think they will change this with 2020 model either. But valving is easy, or adjusting ride height. But some folks prefer the ease of use in the RZR. But that doesn't mean it's better or canam is flawed. That's a useless anecdote.
X3 is low stock because of shipping. The dealers don't touch the suspension to raise it to the correct ride height. Ground clearance from the spec sheet is suppose to be 15" and I don't think any of them leave the show room with 15" of ground clearance. The issue with the X3 is that last 2" of wheel travel you don't get to use because the skid plate has already hit the ground. This happens more in the sand than the dirt. Certain transitions in the sand the ass end is going to tap no matter what.

After my shock work it was way better. Adding 32" tires also helped.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ground clearance at full bump is relevant to bottoming. With only 7/8" of clearance theres no chance of using the tire squish once the shocks are fully compressed. Tires are part of the suspension system. I think the geometry and shock configuration should be changed in order to get 3-4" at full bump. Not having the right clearance forces you to stiffen valving and and spring where it shouldn't be not to mention hard on equipment and the body. Bigger tires do help

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
32" should be stock tire size. That would be a nice update for 2020.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh and btw, I am still waiting for chevy to add heated seats to my 2009 Silverado. Until they do, I will only consider ford or dodge.
It’s a big boy step going to that solid front axle, you sure you can handle all that responsibility?

Seriously 90% of buyers have had no issues with the steering but the 10% want to make it sound like can Am has effed everybody. If you don’t like the stock set up upgrade, yes it will cost you money but that’s why it’s an upgrade. I’m about to drop a grand on gusseting the front of my car because I drive the damn thing hard. Do I expect can Am to do it for me? No I want to drive the piss out of it so I am doing it for my sake.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
It’s a big boy step going to that solid front axle, you sure you can handle all that responsibility?

Seriously 90% of buyers have had no issues with the steering but the 10% want to make it sound like can Am has effed everybody. If you don’t like the stock set up upgrade, yes it will cost you money but that’s why it’s an upgrade. I’m about to drop a grand on gusseting the front of my car because I drive the damn thing hard. Do I expect can Am to do it for me? No I want to drive the piss out of it so I am doing it for my sake.

Upgrades are just part of the sport. To expect a trophy truck for 25k is ridiculous. Some things need upgrading and some things dont, we each get to decide where we want the upgrades. To make a bullet proof vehicle would out these out of most our reach financially.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
They need to fix the stuff the current customers have. Until then I will buy a another brand. Still waiting on a factory power steering fix for the 2017.
I think your Waite is over ,install the 2019 steering high power set up they make a retro kit for upgrading the 17/18’s that need it, plug and play

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
631 Posts
ground clearance at full bump is relevant to bottoming. With only 7/8" of clearance theres no chance of using the tire squish once the shocks are fully compressed. Tires are part of the suspension system. I think the geometry and shock configuration should be changed in order to get 3-4" at full bump. Not having the right clearance forces you to stiffen valving and and spring where it shouldn't be not to mention hard on equipment and the body. Bigger tires do help
Check other off-road vehicles that are not solid axle. Some are higher, some are just like the x3. It's not a fault, it's a deliberate design.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
X3 is low stock because of shipping.

The issue with the X3 is that last 2" of wheel travel you don't get to use because the skid plate has already hit the ground.
I disagree with both of your points.
I believe the low ride height is courtesy of the government stability and roll over regulations.
When the cars are shipped, they are ratcheted down to the pallets and compress the suspension to the desired shipping height.

You are implying that when the shocks bottom out that the chassis skidplate is 2" underground.
In reality, the ground between the tires is often higher than under the tires, such as worn in two track trails.
In the sand, it can be a combination of ride height, spring rates, shock valving, departure angles, razorbacks, ruts, tie squish, etc that can cause skid impact.

At stock ride height it takes less force to bottom out the shocks.
I have used all of my shock travel without skid impact.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts

It is way more than 10% that have issues with the steering. The issue was more prevalent in the 2018 non-smart lock models. I have not come across a 2018 owner of a non-smart lock X3 on the trails or dunes that did not have a complaint about the steering and how the wheel would get ripped out your hands. I drove my friends 2017 X3 and his steering was better than my 2018 X3. The steering was annoying and unpredictable. For us 2018 owners there is a factory fix with the upgrade to the 2019 power steering unit. For the 2017 owners the fix is e-steer.

I have no complaints since I did the upgrade. The steering is 100x better.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
I disagree with both of your points.
I believe the low ride height is courtesy of the government stability and roll over regulations.
When the cars are shipped, they are ratcheted down to the pallets and compress the suspension to the desired shipping height.

You are implying that when the shocks bottom out that the chassis skidplate is 2" underground.
In reality, the ground between the tires is often higher than under the tires, such as worn in two track trails.
In the sand, it can be a combination of ride height, spring rates, shock valving, departure angles, razorbacks, ruts, tie squish, etc that can cause skid impact.

At stock ride height it takes less force to bottom out the shocks.
I have used all of my shock travel without skid impact.
It was a joke about the 2" of travel under the dirt. Can Am in the old sport quad 450 days suffered from the same issue. Had they set the car with more clearance at full bump and taken into account tire squish it would be a non-issue. If you adjust your ride height, crank in the compression and go with bigger tires then you might get the shocks to bottom out before the skid plate. Absent valve work you are going to have a rough ride in the dirt and chop.

Sand is different as there different variable as you pointed out. Some transitions you are going to smack no matter what.

I don't believe the lower ride height is because of stability, it is for shipping purposes. The swaybars are you gov. stability control. Can Am advertises the ground clearance at 15". My X3 was in the 14" range when I bough it. Look at how low the Max sits at the showroom. Polaris advertised the Turbo S at 16" of ground clearance and both of my friends measured at 16" without having to crank down the pre-load.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have an early non smart lol 18 XDS and I also believe the low ride height is to reduce rollovers too. When I had it adjusted, I got up on 2 wheels a couple of times, doing the same thing that I did before it was adjusted with no issues. I’ve only had the steering wheel jerked out of my hands once in Moab, but I hit a rock kind of goofy coming off a cliff. I did gusset my front end and was very disappointed with the thin metal that I took off the front.

41 - 60 of 389 Posts