Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some thoughts or help, getting ready to put intercom/radio kits in my cars, and wondered whether there is a noticeable difference in quality between the Rugged Radio 660+ and the PCI Trax. I understand that the the 660+ has what is referred to as a high-fidelity amplifier but still delivers mono sound, whereas the Trax delivers stereo. I'll be doing helmet kits and not headsets, so if anyone has opinions, please share. I have sound systems already for when we want music while sitting around, but would like in car and car to car when riding. The price difference is significant, even more so when Rugged is offering their specials, such as now. I'll be putting them in a X3 Max and YXZ, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,128 Posts
I have always run Rugged Radio's equipment in every car I've owned. Their customer service is second to none. RR worked on my friends car last year at Thanksgiving at Glamis. It was all screwed up by him. They took over an hour to reprogram, and rewire it. No charge. PCI is another great company too. Get your best deal from both, then decide.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Looking for some thoughts or help, getting ready to put intercom/radio kits in my cars, and wondered whether there is a noticeable difference in quality between the Rugged Radio 660+ and the PCI Trax. I understand that the the 660+ has what is referred to as a high-fidelity amplifier but still delivers mono sound, whereas the Trax delivers stereo. I'll be doing helmet kits and not headsets, so if anyone has opinions, please share. I have sound systems already for when we want music while sitting around, but would like in car and car to car when riding. The price difference is significant, even more so when Rugged is offering their specials, such as now. I'll be putting them in a X3 Max and YXZ, thanks in advance.
If you are into listening to music the Trax is pretty cool. My friend runs it along with the stereo headsets PCI sells.

Rugged’s Alpha headset and helmet kits sounded pretty good when I checked them out at the Sand Show.

They both make quality products and you can’t go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The reason we went with a mono setup for our intercoms is because it's compatible with every piece of equipment we've released since our company's beginning. When you upgrade your old intercom system, you don't have to swap out all of your existing headsets and helmet kits for compatibility. Just plug them into your new system and off you go.

When you're going 40+mph off-road with a loud engine, you're not going to hear much difference between stereo and mono. If you're concerned about sound quality then stop by and see us at one of the events or races we're attending and check it out for yourself. Our full 2018 calendar is posted up here.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
74 Posts
Hey guys, reviving this thread to get more opinions on music sound quality between PCI Trax and Rugged. Has anybody compared the two directly? Does PCI's Trax stereo playback sound noticeably better than Rugged? From my research I'm confident both make quality systems and have top notch customer service. The determining factor for me will likely come down to the sound quality so please give your opinions. If there are other differences in function, bluetooth, mounting options, etc. that you think make one better than the other please enlighten us. I will be running OTU headsets (over the head). Looking to pull the trigger quickly during 4th July sales. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Hey guys, reviving this thread to get more opinions on music sound quality between PCI Trax and Rugged. Has anybody compared the two directly? Does PCI's Trax stereo playback sound noticeably better than Rugged? From my research I'm confident both make quality systems and have top notch customer service. The determining factor for me will likely come down to the sound quality so please give your opinions. If there are other differences in function, bluetooth, mounting options, etc. that you think make one better than the other please enlighten us. I will be running OTU headsets (over the head). Looking to pull the trigger quickly during 4th July sales. Thanks
If you're really looking for quality sound you are going to be disappointed with both. I am a huge Rugged fan, but even the higher ends bass headsets are mediocre. The PCI stereo setup is not much better.

As for customer service I have done plenty of business with both and Rugged is noticeably better. Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts