Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you all feel about the Max's length in comparison to the Polaris RZR and do think that extra length will hurt it out rock crawling. I from Farmington N.M. and I wondering which vehicle do you all think will be a better all around type vehicle, the length of the wildcat pretty much took it out of the conversation because that damn thing is a limo. Even thou I like the push button front diff, I have to buy a 4 seater it was the only way my wife would let me get one and I thought it was a good compermise. Pls give me your thoughts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It doesn't sound like the front visco diff will be what you are looking for. Have you read up on installing the QE?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's my take on the Max... we are a factory Can AM X racer team...I have seen it person etc..its long..My biggest issue is that I don't think it wont fit in my toy-hauler which is a huge bummer (and its got a 14 garage) I really like the size of the Popo Xp4..the Max is approx 30 in longer... I want a 4 seater..but just sure its going to fit... sorry dont know a flippen thing about rock crawl'n so I'll just stay out of the rest of this thread

Reactions: CactusCowboy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the over all length that hasn't been released yet, but I do know that the wheel base is about a 7 inch difference between an xp 4 and a max. I have been in my buddies XP 4 900 and i am impressed, the teryx is not an option as for I like the sand and the cush ride of the rzr. My buddies 900 crawls pretty good believe it or not i would prefer a can am over a polaris any day given that the capabilities of the polaris did not exceed that of a can am. So I guess what I should ask is if anyone believes the extra 7 inches of wheel base will hinder the max in comparison to the rzr 4.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I myself don't see how a longer wheelbase could be a problem. If you notice all the rock bouncer rigs have a long wheelbase. Put some bigger tires on that way you get a little more belly height and I think you should be set. It will definitely be a more stable platform climbing the steep stuff.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here's my take on the Max... we are a factory Can AM X racer team...I have seen it person etc..its long..My biggest issue is that I don't think it wont fit in my toy-hauler which is a huge bummer (and its got a 14 garage) I really like the size of the Popo Xp4..the Max is approx 30 in longer... I want a 4 seater..but just sure its going to fit... sorry dont know a flippen thing about rock crawl'n so I'll just stay out of the rest of this thread
Who! 30" longer just doesn't seem right. You say you've seen it but the only spec we have is 7" longer wheelbase. I don't see how the overall length can jump to 30".

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I myself don't see how a longer wheelbase could be a problem. If you notice all the rock bouncer rigs have a long wheelbase. Put some bigger tires on that way you get a little more belly height and I think you should be set. It will definitely be a more stable platform climbing the steep stuff.

40" tires and 2' of ground clearance will keep you from high centering. if you are dead set on a 4 seat Mav make sure to set aside some extra money for a good skid plate kit. The wheelbase will have you dragging over rocks that hopefully the front diff will pull you through.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
The length will only be an issue dragging the belly over rocks. The Max is going to be about as long as the wildcat 4. They both have room for four normal size adults.

If you line them all up the overall length is probably only a foot difference between the xp4 and the others.

All will be good choices.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think the max is 147.7 inches long. Which is about 12.3-12.4 ft. The two seater Mav is a total of 118.3 in. they say the max is 29.4 in. longer wheelbase. Everything from the front tire to front bumper is the same just like the rear tire to the back bed is the same on both mavs. Thats how I figured the length out, weather its right who knows.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bigger tires and the HCR long travel kit will make it sweet. $6k and it can be yours! (ouch!)
Hopefully Racer Tech and others will be in the game soon and the prices will come down a bit.
I am soooooooooo tired of waiting for this damn rig!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
No matter what 4 seater you get, the belly will drag. The Polaris will be a little shorter but you will also be draging the trailing arms & you will want the high clearance radius arms because they will get caught up on the rocks & get bent. The Max will have A-arms in the rear which should be better for the rocks but you will want to put a QE front diff in instead of the visco loc because the visco sucks in the rocks. The Polaris 4wd systems work pretty good in the rocks but the frames are pretty weak & will get smashed up. No matter what machine you buy, you are going to have to dump money in it to get it right, personally I would get the Max and a UHMW full belly skid plate & a-arm guards.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I would consider a lift, 30" tires and a Factory UTV 1/2" skid if you seriously want to crawl a Max. A Arm skids would also be a must or a arched a arm. I think LT on a rock crawler is going to hurt you if we're talking about the same kind of rock crawler. Other things could be done to make it more capable but its really long and that's going to be hard to overcome.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If I was getting a 4 seater it would be the teryx4. I love that thing. Its really short.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have buddies that crawl all over the rocks at Moab in their xp4 machines with hardly any problems, the trailing arms to hit a lot but that has not really been a huge problem...I will go with them next time and will let you know how the Max does. I will say the wildcat does great also and it is almost as long as the xp4.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have had no problems in the rocks up black mountain in Harlan ky...only one time did I have any issue with my max and it was driver error.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts