Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got to do some real rockcrawling with my Mav. I have been worried about not having a true locking from diff like my old rhinos and my T4. Well without it its not really that bad. We were exploring a wash and it turned into some serious rocks. I drove the Maverick through fairly easily, i just had to make sure of tire placement to have good traction.

My wife would not drive the T4 through the same stuff so i had to do so. With the longer wheelbase and locking front differential i was able to go slower but high centered more than the Maverick and needed a little push twice to get off a big rock.

In all the Mav did great in the big nasty rocks and my custom UHMW skids worked perfectly.

My daughter can sleep anywhere anytime.

picture at the Roosevelt Lake bridge

nasty rocky wash on our way trying a new route to Saguaro Lake

AWESOME headlights

my skids AFTER the trip, not a scuff. This stuff is very slippery. (i do have a second set sitting in the garage for sale) shameless i know

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went to Moab a few weeks ago not expecting to go up anything rocky, to my surprise it worked flawless. I went up a lot of crazy stuff. When coming back down I couldn't believe I went up some of it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I haven't had any problem rock crawling. The 84" wheelbase and 14" travel keeps all 4 tires on the ground most of the time. As long as you are good at wheel placement.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The wheel travel really helps the Mav compared to the Commander. The problem is when one of the front wheels is off the ground searching for traction, then the tire with traction suddenly locks in, it will throw/pull you to that side & when your up in the mountains where theres drop offs or cliffs it can be real dangerous. Thats where the QE really helps. Hopefully I will get to run the Rubicon & Fordyce this year to really test it out.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well I've climbed some hairy rock and I think the Maverick sucks. Three wheeling in rocks is no bueno. The RZRs that were in our group were making the stuff look easy that I was having to put the pedal on the floor to get over. I posted a video about a month ago that shows the rock pass we was in.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree with whattha. Cruizing in the desert and goin around a couple of rocks may be ok, but in AR and OK we have hills full of loose rock/boulders. If you just try to creep the visco will never kick in, you have to rip on it and chance tearin sumthin up. I have to bypass alot of fun cuz I don't want to find the next weak spot. But I understand about the QE. I'm sure there will be 4 or 5 of ya'll that are about to freak out and tell us to spend yet another grand on another "should be" factory fix.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Maybe Mega's has the qe? stupid mexicans coulda ran out walked over commander line said this looks the same, slapped it in. pathetic thing is QE I bet costs can am no more than regular but charge us 1000.00 for what it should have anyway. OOps sorry went there didnt I

·
Registered
145 Posts
thats funny, I can agree when in arkansas the high steep trails and loose rocks are very challenging for us less experianced drivers,but I did notice rzrs would bottom out alot on rocks that didn't bother me and they did well climbing the hills where my maverick had problems

·
Registered
806 Posts
thats funny, I can agree when in arkansas the high steep trails and loose rocks are very challenging for us less experianced drivers,but I did notice rzrs would bottom out alot on rocks that didn't bother me and they did well climbing the hills where my maverick had problems
Yeah. It's called 4-wheel drive. rzr's got it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
cool i have just enough leftover pieces from a project from work this winter ,i run a blacktop plant we use this stuff in a lot of spots were there is a lot of wear from stone sliding across steel. it doesnt look like you put all the holes in that the factory had ,how big did you make the bolt holes to put the recessed washers down in?

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool i have just enough leftover pieces from a project from work this winter ,i run a blacktop plant we use this stuff in a lot of spots were there is a lot of wear from stone sliding across steel. it doesnt look like you put all the holes in that the factory had ,how big did you make the bolt holes to put the recessed washers down in?

1" then used a router to counter sink the metal cups flush. i only left the holes needed for drainning fluids.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks mega i got a mega too have any problems with tie rods ?
i had an 06 2500 4x4 with 80k no issues at all. I did wheel the piss out of it and replaced the suspension with good stuff. It would run 80mph over 2' deep woops. Then i sold it to buy an 06 dually megacab with 100k. no tierod issues yet, but swapping over to the 07 and up steering is on my short list.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
thanks mega i got a mega too have any problems with tie rods ?
Not to hi-jack Mikes thread, but what kind of tie rod issues? I have an 08' 2500 4x4 TD Mega cab. Just shy of 100k on the odometer with no issues. I did just recently put 33" Nitto Mud Grapplers on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
when I hit thirty thousand the truck wouldn't pass inspection the dealer had a updated tie rod assembly .the service guy told me I would do it again inanother thirty I also have had the death wobble happen not fun at 60mph g

1 - 18 of 18 Posts