Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Hello!!

Looking to plan a long weekend trip to the UP in Michigan. In doing some research I was able to find most of what I needed to do this:

• Michigan requires license permit and a trail permit. Total cost seems to be around $40
  • They offer a Trail Map that shows you where our machines can fit - All but the Keweenaw State Trail are available on Avenza for Free.
  • All trails here list a 72" width clearance and appear to be open through the fall
All seems rather straight forward and would make for a nice relaxing weekend. We will try to kick off around the Wakefield/Bessemer area, seems like that is where the Marenisco-Korpela Road Route starts. From there we will follow the trails outlined below:
  1. Marenisco-Korpela Road Route
  2. Iron River-Marenisco Route
  3. Ottawa East Connector
  4. Bill Nichols Route
  5. Lake Lindon Route
  6. Keweenaw State Trail
We will then follow the same trails back to Wakefield/Bessemer and head home. All in all it looks to be about 500 miles along old Railroad bed with bridges and plenty of scenic stops along the way.

For some of you 500 miles may not be a lot for a few days, but we are going to try and camp along the way if possible, if not we will swing off the trail and grab a hotel room if needed.

Has anyone done any of these trails before? This is our first stab at a Ride & Camp style trip, any suggestions? First time on the SxS in the UP, thoughts on the trails or difficulty of the ride?

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I did them all this winter on a snowmobile. One of the guys with us has done them on his RZR. Sounds like an amazing ride!!! Better pack some fuel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Avenza Trail Maps it shows where there are fueling stations - did you guys have trouble making it to them along the trail? Hopping on and off the trails for fuel seemed to be okay. We always carry a 5 gallon can for each machine anyways.

·
Registered
435 Posts
,you will be fine. If you make too many loops without staying on a main trail fuel can be tight on a sled. There are more places open during the summer months also

·
Registered
119 Posts
After spending several years building trails in the north woods of Wisconsin - I would recommend:
Mosquito nets for the head and LOTS of bug spray for everywhere else.
Just standing in the woods, there is a constant background buzzzzzzzzzzz from the billions if flying creatures all around you.
And be careful with food while camping - hang it away from the tents. No shortage of black bears in the area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How bad are we talking? I am a firearms instructor, and have my Iowa, Utah, Arizona CCW, is it legal to carry on ORVs in Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts