Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I started another thread about belt issues, but wanted to write a review about the machines that I drove today. I drove 4 machines, but the only xp 900 they had was already sold. I should also add that this was my first experience driving any type of side by side.

RZR XC 800 - This machine is only 50 inches wide. It made it nice for tight trails, but it also made it cramped inside the cockpit. Power was pretty good, but the suspension wasn't very forgiving. You could feel every bump that you went across and ground clearance was very poor.

RZR 800 S - I liked this machine. Power to weight ratio was good, and the suspension would soak up a lot of the bumps. Interior had more room since it was wider, however the interior was cheap with a lot of rattles. The price was going to be $14,500 with a 6 month warranty.

RZR 1000 - This thing is a beast. Great power and the suspension worked well. Interior was a little better on this model, however it still had a lot of rattles to be a new machine. It was nice that this model came with partial doors, but for the price $18,399 I felt it was lacking quality.

Maverick XRS DPS - Fit and finish of interior is great. Has a lot of power, and utilizes technology into the design. I felt that the fox shocks were better than the Walker Evans, and the styling is better. The engine is a little loud, and your drinks may get warm in the cup holder, but this is a great machine for the price $17,100 OTD with a 3 year warranty.

This is just a short personal opinion review of the machines. Detailed specs can be found online. I purchased the Maverick XRS DPS in white/red/black. If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

Thanks,
Travis

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write it up and congratulations!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. Just kind of a general review, but the XP1K I drove had so many squeaks and rattles already, I would hate to see it after a year.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
u made a wise choice ,

grease the shock o rings and bushings, we don't know why but they get shipped dry ,

other wise a set of 50 dollar tie rods and ur set , harnesses to

Reactions: Tomcat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. What are the best tie rods to get? Also, I clicked the button to change the power steering mode, but it stayed in max. Do you have to be moving or in neutral for this to change? The owners manual was very vague about it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Also, I clicked the button to change the power steering mode, but it stayed in max
Hold the button for few sec!:wink:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a 14 XXc, coming from a Rzr 800 50", you definitely made the right choice. I drove my buddies xp 1000, & brothers xp 900, both very new, less than 500 miles & 6 mos old, couldn't agree with you more about the rattles & squeaks!! Very glad I bought what I did. I climbed every hill the xp 1000 did, & racing we were pretty much side by side. Have fun with your new addiction!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello,
I started another thread about belt issues, but wanted to write a review about the machines that I drove today. I drove 4 machines, but the only xp 900 they had was already sold. I should also add that this was my first experience driving any type of side by side.

RZR XC 800 - This machine is only 50 inches wide. It made it nice for tight trails, but it also made it cramped inside the cockpit. Power was pretty good, but the suspension wasn't very forgiving. You could feel every bump that you went across and ground clearance was very poor.

RZR 800 S - I liked this machine. Power to weight ratio was good, and the suspension would soak up a lot of the bumps. Interior had more room since it was wider, however the interior was cheap with a lot of rattles. The price was going to be $14,500 with a 6 month warranty.

RZR 1000 - This thing is a beast. Great power and the suspension worked well. Interior was a little better on this model, however it still had a lot of rattles to be a new machine. It was nice that this model came with partial doors, but for the price $18,399 I felt it was lacking quality.

Maverick XRS DPS - Fit and finish of interior is great. Has a lot of power, and utilizes technology into the design. I felt that the fox shocks were better than the Walker Evans, and the styling is better. The engine is a little loud, and your drinks may get warm in the cup holder, but this is a great machine for the price $17,100 OTD with a 3 year warranty.

This is just a short personal opinion review of the machines. Detailed specs can be found online. I purchased the Maverick XRS DPS in white/red/black. If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

Thanks,
Travis
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 800 XC and the 800 S are identical inside, the only difference is the width at the tires via shorter/longer suspension control arms. Not sure why the S would feel roomier.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never really feel cramped in a RZR unless I have a fat guy riding with me. Then it feels too small. I have to tell them to get their damn leg away from the gear shifter! lol

With 2 thin girls with me its pretty cramped but I can deal with it. ;)

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!!!!

The power steering can be changed on the fly or while stopped. Just have to hold the button down for a few seconds. At least that is what I did when I test drove one.

The power steering set up is really trick and you will love it. Especially when doing slow technical riding. It is nice not to have the steering wheel yanked out of your hands when you hit a something.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice write up. I'm sure you will be very happy as you get to know more about your machine. Welcome and congrats

·
Registered
415 Posts
I Came from a 2012 commander 1000. put lift on with 30" moto monsters, never tore anything up, and put it thru hell. then all my crew and a lot of buddies ride rzr's and I was the only can-am guy. I bought into the hype and got a brand new out of crate xp900 rzr. put s3 lift, 29.5 terms, etc etc. ... worst mistake ever. had exactly 3 miles on it, when I pulled it off the trailer it went into limp mode, the throttle sensor on the gas pedal was bad, waited over 6 weeks for a new one. took it out for the first big ride, and I had to stay balls to the wall in the same holes I was feathering thru with the commander.... long story short... sold that sumbich!! now sitting in the 2014 maverick xrs-dps model.. back home!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Last Summer Prior to the Release of the XP1K When I was in the process of buying a SxS... I was pretty set on an XP900. I didn't even know about the Maverick, I did a bit of research just to see what was out there and that's when I found the CanAm Maverick. After all the comparisons to other SxS I jumped ship and went with the base model Maverick.

Brand New 2013 - 0 Miles Maverick for 14.5K OTD
OR
Used 2012 XP 900 or New 2013 Xp 900 14K - 17K

My Friend went with the Used 2012 XP 900 for 14K. In the 50 hours of riding we have recently done. He has had a problem on his XP900 with it not charging, and has had one broken rear axle. I like my Maverick way better than the XP900 and am happy with my purchase.

Only part where he seems to have an edge on the Maverick is Jumping, Mine Nose dives half the time (Shaft Saver, Suspension? ) His doesn't...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts