Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of changing the back half of my belt housing and I need some direction. How do I removed the clutches so I can remove the old back half of the housing and install the new one?
I have to replace it because a few of the imbedded nuts in the back of the housing started spinning freely so I couldn’t get the housing open to change the belt. I cut them free but now the back half needs to be replaced. Any direction would be awesome!
I current have the backseat out, front half of the housing is off, and belt is out. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
First of all, I'm glad to see you have the updated rolling secondary clutch. My 2016 did not have it and caused nothing but trouble.. You're not going to like this but you do need a special tool to pull the primary and then it's not advisable to re-use the clutch bolts as they're torque to yield (at least as far as I know). I've reused a secondary bolt before and snapped it right off when tightening to spec which cost me 3 days of shop time just pulling out the gearbox to swap out the shaft that was stuck. I'd recommend HD Clutch Bolt Kit for the clutch bolts and New OEM Primary Clutch Puller Tool for the puller if you don't have them. It's a small cost that'll save you tons of headaches in the long run. I do not know what puller that new secondary uses so maybe someone else can chime in or you can find it on the canapartsguy site. Good luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
There are many YouTube videos that describe how to remove clutches. Watch several to get the best information from each. Be sure you are confident in your mechanical abilities prior to taking on this project.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, I'm glad to see you have the updated rolling secondary clutch. My 2016 did not have it and caused nothing but trouble.. You're not going to like this but you do need a special tool to pull the primary and then it's not advisable to re-use the clutch bolts as they're torque to yield (at least as far as I know). I've reused a secondary bolt before and snapped it right off when tightening to spec which cost me 3 days of shop time just pulling out the gearbox to swap out the shaft that was stuck. I'd recommend HD Clutch Bolt Kit for the clutch bolts and New OEM Primary Clutch Puller Tool for the puller if you don't have them. It's a small cost that'll save you tons of headaches in the long run. I do not know what puller that new secondary uses so maybe someone else can chime in or you can find it on the canapartsguy site. Good luck!
That clutch puller tool looks a lot like the tool I use to get the clutch to open up when I change the belt. Is it not the same thing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That clutch puller tool looks a lot like the tool I use to get the clutch to open up when I change the belt. Is it not the same thing?
I don't think that's going to work as the spreader just spreads it enough to change the belt. Isn't there just a bolt inside the secondary to pull it off? Don't think you actually need a puller regardless, should only need it for the primary.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's not the same tool. The primary is a press fit on the crank, so there is a long bolt/tool that is used to pop it off. Use grease.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that's going to work as the spreader just spreads it enough to change the belt. Isn't there just a bolt inside the secondary to pull it off? Don't think you actually need a puller regardless, should only need it for the primary.
Ok so I don’t want to pretend that I know exactly what Im talking about here. The primary is the one to the right in the picture and to the back if the machine right? Its the same one that my clutch tool that came with the machine screws into and the “bolt tool” screws into that clutch tool to spread the clutch enough to change the belt? Im not a dipshit, I just havent dealt with these specific machines so I don’t fully understand them or know the terminology.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not the same tool. The primary is a press fit on the crank, so there is a long bolt/tool that is used to pop it off. Use grease.
So that tool that Trendchaser mentioned above will allow me to pull the clutch from the crank shaft? What the process for reinstalling it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok so I don’t want to pretend that I know exactly what Im talking about here. The primary is the one to the right in the picture and to the back if the machine right? Its the same one that my clutch tool that came with the machine screws into and the “bolt tool” screws into that clutch tool to spread the clutch enough to change the belt? Im not a dipshit, I just havent dealt with these specific machines so I don’t fully understand them or know the terminology.
The opposite actually, the one on the right is the secondary and one on the left is your primary. Primary is the one on the engine crank and secondary is on your gearbox input. Again, watch a few YouTube videos. You'll need the first tool I posted for your primary (remove your bolt and then thread the tool into that hole). Secondary shouldn't need a tool to pull and should pop off as you undo the bolt.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The opposite actually, the one on the right is the secondary and one on the left is your primary. Primary is the one on the engine crank and secondary is on your gearbox input. Again, watch a few YouTube videos. You'll need the first tool I posted for your primary (remove your bolt and then thread the tool into that hole). Secondary shouldn't need a tool to pull and should pop off as you undo the bolt.
I gotcha. I found a pretty bitchin youtube video that shows everything you explained. I order the tool and the bolts. They should be here in a few days and I can get to wrenchin. Thank you for the help! Now that I’m on it, do any of yall have experience with burnin through belts? I noticed on some of the threads and videos on clutch removal that it’s more common then I thought. I only have 770 miles on the machine and I’ve gone through 4 belts. 2 in the last 200 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd say that belt is starting to look really worn. I'd take some brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad while the clutches are off and get all the rust off your primary there. Should help a lot with belt wear though you have a good groove already there in the idle position. Maybe consider looking at a CVTECH (if you're on a budget) or STM primary if you want to mostly eliminate belt issues going forward.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd say that belt is starting to look really worn. I'd take some brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad while the clutches are off and get all the rust off your primary there. Should help a lot with belt wear though you have a good groove already there in the idle position. Maybe consider looking at a CVTECH (if you're on a budget) or STM primary if you want to mostly eliminate belt issues going forward.
Whats crazy is that belt was brand new and installed like 40 miles ago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just received the clutch puller tool and the replacement bolts and started trying to remove the clutches last night. I cannot get the set screw out. The 6MM allen head screw on the primary. I tried a allen socket with a regular ratchet, then an extra long ratchet handle, and finally an impact gun. It still won’t budge. I also tried heating it with a torch thinking it had red locktight on it. It still wouldn’t release with the impact. I have it now sitting with PB Blaster. Im hoping that will help it loosen up. Anyone else run into this or have suggestions?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never touched the set screw, just use a large impact on the primary bolt and off it comes. Not saying that's the right way to do it but it's worked fine for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never touched the set screw, just use a large impact on the primary bolt and off it comes. Not saying that's the right way to do it but it's worked fine for me.
And you just leave that center set crew in?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I always left the set screw as well and just used impact on the nut, which usually took the entire stud which is needed to use the puller. You definately have some clutch issues if your killing belts that quickly or your not using low range enough

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Put some grease on the threads of your clutch puller it helps pop the clutch off. You can take an old belt and drill holes through the belt between the two clutches to squeeze it together and use it as a holder to get the secondary off, do this before you take the primary off. If this is your first time removing clutches watch a lot of videos first. Its not that difficult once you know how to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts