Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 X3 RC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a replacement for the stock overflow tank? On our ride today the top nipple broke and drain some of my fluid. I've heard others say there's also broke. 70 to $80 for replacement take that is subject to Breaking 2 doesn't seem like a good choice. I'm thinking about drilling and tapping a brass fitting in there but I don't think the tank is going to be thick enough. And I don't know of any glue that will stick to those polytype tanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There was a post recently that mentioned this but I haven’t been able to find it. It was basically just an aftermarket aluminum overflow bottle that the OP relocated from the stock location. Looked like a decent alternative. Try a search.

·
Registered
2019 X3 RC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I seen that post and I've seen some aluminum containers for around $35 that may need some adjusting with the fittings to fit the existing hoses all seem to be a little large to fit in the existing location sure seems like a good project for a manufacturer to design one I am not a aluminum welder

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Most of those generic overflow tanks have standard pipe threads for the inlets and outlets, and for the drain on the bottom. With some fittings easily available you should be able to fabricate what you need easily and less expensive than a replacement OEM. That’s what I plan do do if/when mine finally breaks.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
You would do all this drama to not pay $51.67 at ?

How much are really going to save?

Tim

330709200412Coolant Tank$67.99$51.6710+ In-Stock

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tim my thought process on that was more “upgrade and only fix it once” rather than buy the OEM part with the risk of failure again. I mean, it’s a known issue so if you could upgrade it cost effectively why not? It really has nothing to do with the $51.67 that the OEM part costs, which is reasonable compared to other parts.

·
Registered
2019 X3 RC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is what I I'm trying for now I drilled and tapped the pipe threads installed the nipple and then put some adhesive glue around it to strengthen it I'll give it a ride tomorrow once the glue sets greasing the bearings now

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
the plastic tank is very common and cheap
but you must tie up the line to the nipple
i drill two small holes for a zip tie near the tank
just about very 4 stroke seadoo has used the same coolant bottle since 2003

I would never try to fix them

·
Registered
71 Posts
does anyone know what glue to use that will stick to the over flow bottle as not all glue will adhere to all types of plastic. thnx

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
does anyone know what glue to use that will stick to the over flow bottle as not all glue will adhere to all types of plastic. thnx
why use glue when you can tap threads in the bottle and use Teflon tape. Glue/epoxy is never permanent for an offroad vehicle that rattles around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was only going to use glue as a reinforcement . was not sure if the bottle was thick enough for threads to hold well.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
280 Posts
I like the bung idea Tim had.

Getting back to the question at hand ace sells a plastic epoxy. It is the best epoxy I have found for pvc and plastic items. it actually fuses with the plastic.
Just scuff the plastic so it’s not shiny. Put 1 coat on, wait 15 minutes, put second coat on, wait 15 minutes. Done. I’ve used it on rc gas tank fittings and a lot of pvc repairs for pin hole leaks and cracks. Some on 2 1/2” pressurized aquarium plumbing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well the local ace store says the plastic repair epoxy has been discontinued.so plan B ?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You could try welding it. Basically you just heat the plastic with a soldering iron. You can buy a plastic welding kit from harbor freight for about 20 bucks, it has a soldering iron with a big triangular tip and some strips of plastic to use as filler rod. Or just take a regular soldering tip and smash it flat and use zip ties for filler rod.

BTW I think that nipple breaks because there is so little clearance under the filter cover, and when guys install the cover they hit down on that back corner to seat it in the grommet and they wind up smacking the top of the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
you can get another bottle delivered to your door for $20...lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts