Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 Can AM X3 XRS Turbo R and am getting it setup to my liking, however, when I pulled the clutch cover to take a look, I noticed that there is a hole in the clutch housing about 2.5" x 3" that the seller covered up with duct tape. I am assuming that he blew a belt and it damaged the housing. I am considering a couple of options and would like advice.

Option 1 is getting a new clutch housing from RM-ATV (or anywhere cheaper if you know of a place) and getting a 18 gauge cold rolled steel liner ( Can-Am RC Blue Powder Coated, X3 Clutch Liner 18ga Cold Rolled Steel | eBay ) that I found on E-Bay for $156. This option would cost me around $300 with tax.

Option 2 is to get the aluminum clutch housing that MrRPM sells for $400 plus shipping and tax. This option would cost me around $450 out the door.

What is everyone's opinion? And does Rocky Mountain offer a forum discount?
How difficult is it to pull the clutches to install a new housing?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Price wise Rocky Mountain was the cheapest by far and although the aluminum one would be one and done for life the price is hefty. I was thinking of spraying the stock with rhino liner and seeing if it holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
As far as clutches. On mine I really had to crank on the tool to release the primary. I’ve seen videos where they come right off but not in the 2 machines I worked on. The secondary is real easy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the Can Am clutch tools pretty standard? I see some cheap ones on Ebay for $13, that say for "For Can Am X3 Commander Maverick 1000 800R Max Clutch Puller Tool", but when I go the Compatibility chart, it says it is not compatible.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are the Can Am clutch tools pretty standard? I see some cheap ones on Ebay for $13, that say for "For Can Am X3 Commander Maverick 1000 800R Max Clutch Puller Tool", but when I go the Compatibility chart, it says it is not compatible.
Do not and I repeat do not buy the cheap 20 dlr clutch tool. I broke 2 of them. One broke with the clutch out of the machine when separating the 2 halves and the other broke in the clutch and the piece was still wedged against the crank. Was not fun pulling that out. Spend the extra and get the evo or epi by minimum or the authentic can am

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had the same thing happen, listed x3 in the description then fitment chart says it doesnt fit

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone on here have either a steel liner or the complete aluminum housing, and if so what is your experience with it?

Also, does Rocky Mountain offer a forum discount?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am running an aluminum housing liner, it works fine, plenty of reviews on Youtube showing that if a belt blows, it saves your housing from breaking apart. RM doesn't offered forum discounts but you can get an aluminum housing on eBay for like 80 bucks, worth it. you will need to pull your clutch and secondary off if you have an XRC (I did, to get it to fit, otherwise the suspension and clutch is in the way, plus you need them removed to drill holes for the bolts to mount it. Recommend a pull pin kit too, another eBay item for 25 bucks, will take some time to install but it will save the hours it takes to replace a belt on the trail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carbon fiber from full throttle think $289 not cheap but a nice product Slip in fit. No need to remove clutches or drill holes to leak water. If it’s a 72” wide Car you only have to remove the clutch clover to install.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is no way you can slip on these on a XRC model, you can't fit it around the suspension. Maybe other models you can, but not the XRC, I couldn't even slip on the aluminum one that is the same exact form as the carbon fiber one. Just be warned if you have a XRC or similar with the better bigger suspension, it will not fit without removing the clutch

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
LineX the inside of the plastic cover and it works fantastic. Was probably one of the first people to do this in 2017. Still going strong nearly 7000 miles later.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Those aluminum liners break just like the plastic does. I might have a housing laying around for sale. Best clutch tool is with alba or kwi. The toolkits are almost identical and they do everything you need to service the clutches.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those aluminum liners break just like the plastic does. I might have a housing laying around for sale. Best clutch tool is with alba or kwi. The toolkits are almost identical and they do everything you need to service the clutches.
Let me know if you have a good condition housing and how much you want for it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is no way you can slip on these on a XRC model,
Pretty sure this is the install on a 72" XRS. I don't think there are any suspension differences between the XRC and the XRS. (other than the high clearance radius rods of course)

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
People selling something would never lie and say it always works! Right? The housing can break with a liner, trust me. Some of the new folks on here need to get some miles on their brand new toy before they start regurgitating someone else's advice from google and youtube.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts