Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed my plastic mud scrapers after my last trip to the deaert caught some rocks and put some serious grooves on the inside of the rear wheels.

well, last sunday i was drioving down a dirt road at a high rate of speed (57mph). All of a sudden i felt a weird vibration in the rear of the car. I went to slow down and the brakes went to the floor. i was able to pump them to come to a stop, but the pedal was on the floor and only worked just before hitting the floor board.

I pulled off to the side and checked for brake fluid comming out of somewhere but found nothing. I then looked inside each wheel untill i found the passenger rear caliper looked bent. I then loosened the lug nuts and hooked a strap to the roll cage to have the wife pull it up on one side to remove the wheel with our Teryx4.

I pulled the wheel and found the caliper bent open, the rotor has a big wave to it and the inside of the wheel has some big scratches in it.

since i did not loose any brake fluid i decided not to call it a day and did 90 more miles sunday.

now i am not sure if its worth bending a $212 caliper, $34 rotor or trashing a wheel to use or not use the mud scrapers. I guess i will just stick to the sand and drive the T4 in the dirt.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There's got to be a better way. I removed mine also so I'm not to excited to see this problem. Maybe the scrapers can be put back on along with a section of inner tube screwed to it to act as another wiper that will remove the rocks that are gouging our wheels. Or maybe the scrapers just need to be cut at an angle which might allow those trapped rocks to work their way from the inside of the wheel all the way out of the wheel well.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I guess it got so hot being crooked that it just boiled the fluid. That would explain the flat pedal. I wonder if its DOT 3 or 5 in the system?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
There's got to be a better way. I removed mine also so I'm not to excited to see this problem. Maybe the scrapers can be put back on along with a section of inner tube screwed to it to act as another wiper that will remove the rocks that are gouging our wheels. Or maybe the scrapers just need to be cut at an angle which might allow those trapped rocks to work their way from the inside of the wheel all the way out of the wheel well.
That's pretty much what I've been thinking about doing right there. I too took mine off, but I've been planning on figuring something out and putting them back on. I'm thinking maybe shave one quarter or 1/2 inch off of the scraper, and then screw some rubber to it that will wipe along the wheel. I may also considered trying to put more angle on it. For that I would cut some of it off, and then screw some aluminum at a steeper angle to it. The only other option is going to 14 inch wheels. That would solve the problem.

·
Registered
791 Posts
14" or larger wheels pretty much eliminates the problem, I don't care for 12" wheels on any atv with disc brakes at the wheel mostly for this reason

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm not sure if the scraper would have prevented the damage shown in the pic. Looks like somthin jammed in there pretty hard to bend that.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'm not sure if the scraper would have prevented the damage shown in the pic. Looks like somthin jammed in there pretty hard to bend that.
ya I was thinking scrapers or not that would of happen anyways it seems like !

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I think I'ma puttin mine back on....................

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
They never were just mud scrapers, they also are there to kick out any rocks that got inside the wheel before it made it to the caliper and punches a hole in the rim. Happens all the time to guys with xp's and they have no "kicker".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts