Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Ill start off saying ive started with lengthing my maverick in the rear 6". The reason for this is the type of riding i do is a lot or hill climbing and I am tired of feeling like the front end is not on the ground and dont have much steering control or it just like to come over on me. So my question is polaris can run the engine in the rear of there machines and still able to keep front end down while climbing is it because they are running trailing arms? Also with the trailing arms being mounted more to the center of the machine does that help with puting the tourque of the rear wheels to the point where they are mounted to frame? I have thought about building some trailing arms and trying them out but not sure it will be worth my time to try this or will the extra wheel base do the trick?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I dont like the trailing arm set-up for trails, especially rock crawling because when your trailing arm bottoms out on the rock, it causes the vehicle to slide off of the rock & off of your line. My friends with their RZR 900 & 1K complain of this every trip, The RZR 800 seems to do alot better because of the a-arm design, even my Maverick seems to be alot better in the terrain than any of the RZR's. Even my old Commander that had a trailing arm design still wanted to lift the front end, I think its all in the rear sway bar. I have also been contimplating extending the rear wheel base, for better crawling & better tire clearance for the bigger tires.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When you say lengthening, do you mean wheel base or frame length? I would like to see how your getting the extra 6" in length. Are you extending the rear frame or simply moving the rear diff back 6"? There are some pictures floating around of someone that has moved the rear diff back and they claim it increased the rwhp by about 10 hp because the axles are now straight to the hubs. If you lengthen the rear, it should change the weight distribution to be more front loaded which is what your after...correct?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Go for it, take lots of pictures. Wheelbase is always a good thing when you are hill climbing. With the engine mid mounted logic would say it should work better than the rear mounted RZR set up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Jason has a thread on Maverick Addiction on Facebook of the work that hes doing. He's moving the whole diff and everything from the rear of the cab - back 6". I say that because he mentioned having a new driveshaft built.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I cut the rear frame off were it attaches to the square tubing. Added 6" of wheelbase also i have drive shaft lengthened also. Ill get some pics posted in this thread also to let you all see what ive got going on. I still have to build upper shock mounts and figure out what im going to do about sway bar still.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Looks good. I'm going to be doing this to mine. Im just going to go about it a little different.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I am liking your project alot. I think this will make a huge difference in ride quality as well as climbing

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Im going to keep the suspension mounting points where they are, move the diff back and build new arms. Ill be looking to build this into a kit down the road.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the a-arms are curved back after the stock mounting tabs , and a lot of axle angle ? lol idk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sounds like a good idea Alex. and mearsman how do they do that with out moving the diff?
Same way it is now but the diff bolts up farther back using the rear holes as the new front holes. I believe this is how I seen it done by someone else. Then Alex can make new rear A-arms to improve the rear suspension action.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Yup. I'll build a weld on assembly kit for the rear that houses the diff and ties back into the frame.....and will have different upper shock mounts. This is will get the rear suspension to react a little different and give us a better motion ratio.
Jason I bet if you changed the springs on the Maverick to something much lighter it would do better on the rocks and be less prone to float that front end. It would allow the suspension to flex better and stay on the ground. The only thing is without internal work you could have some bottoming issues when going fast but I would definitely consider it. Springs are only about $325.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
randoph) was asking how u do it with out moving the diff , u guys are talking about moving the diff right ? or im I reading this wrong lol

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I am planning on moving just the rear diff back till the axles are inline with the hubs. This is the only reason I have not bought a set of Alex' arms, I will probably have to re-design the arms so they don't hit the axles. I could be wrong about the arm design because I haven't mocked anything up yet.
Pat

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Nice Start to awesome project.. Keep the photos and progress coming!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts