Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why is everyone bending their radius rods? To justify cooler looking ones to their wifes??
Must be the pretty looking thing, I have 3100 hard miles on mine and have not bent one. Just figured I would cut and sleeve mine because I can and I'm too cheap to spend $700 on links. $64 in material and some welding time is all it took.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Must be the pretty looking thing, I have 3100 hard miles on mine and have not bent one. Just figured I would cut and sleeve mine because I can and I'm too cheap to spend $700 on links. $64 in material and some welding time is all it took.
Driving like a little lady in her way to Church is NOT hard miles! Lol.

You know that is all in the way you hit somethings. A lateral load and that center fuse does its job.

I did do after market, but there is something to be said for the stock theory of having a place to absorb the blow and leave a relatively inexpensive item damaged.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mega, have you grabbed a rear wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and tried wiggling yet?
No, I have my links off right now sleeving them. I did check the middle holes in the rear up rights and they are not wallowed out at all. Ill check this weekend when I fix the broken area.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
No, I have my links off right now sleeving them. I did check the middle holes in the rear up rights and they are not wallowed out at all. Ill check this weekend when I fix the broken area.

Are you planning or do you see a big need to make the uprights double shear? Tim

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you planning or do you see a big need to make the uprights double shear? Tim
the upper and lower are double are double shear. Its that damn middle one that needs some love. Its difficult to support because it moves with wheel travel. I think ZRP has the only real fix with the new upright and integrated second tab. The Assault and Lsr bolt on supports don't add much in my opinion.

But before I tackle welding to the rear uprights I have an exciting to me product to develop and test.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
I got all my bolts tight, added a rear plate that tied into the cage and therefor the frame, and did all I could but I could not get rid of the wiggle at the wheel. Finally located it to the radius rod ends. That wiggle was driving me crazy, call me ocd, but every time I would hit the gas I would think about that side to side play and I hated it. So that is what really made me want to spend the money. Plus I tried a cheaper aluminum radius rod set and no change, so those went on the scrap pile for me to practice my AL welds.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As soon as I went to the ZRP rods the 9 to 3 wheel wiggle went away.
The stock BRP bushings are crap!

Reactions: The Dude!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts