Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the rear diff a bit if a bugger to change the oil on? Pictures? And is a synthetic 75/140 good enough?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
You owners manual tells you the correct fluids. Yes the drain plug is a mother effer use a 5mm Allen with caution. I am searching out a replacement plug Friday. I will sell the info after I find out what it is. Haha

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You owners manual tells you the correct fluids. Yes the drain plug is a mother effer use a 5mm Allen with caution. I am searching out a replacement plug Friday. I will sell the info after I find out what it is. Haha
You owe me.......LOL

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Yeah, I'll probably pull my rear diff in a few weeks. It's the only way I can get at that f'ing plug to drill it out (I stripped out the allen). I need to replace the rear diff seal anyway. I thought about taking to the dealer and letting them screw around with it, but I need to learn how to pull the diff anyway. I'm sure this wont be the last time that seal leaks.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Is the rear diff a bit if a bugger to change the oil on? Pictures? And is a synthetic 75/140 good enough?
Yes it is. Just did mine last weekend and had to reach around from the front with the wrench to get the drain out. All while sitting behind the machine. Then as usual oil starts out going right through the hole into the bucket but when the level drops it begins to puke all over that non removable mini skid plate. Makes a nice mess. As I remember 75/140 was for the gear case only and front and rear diffs use 75/90. All synthetic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently bought some angled type allan keys in combination with some wobbler extensions I was able to clear the A arms and get to it... Brutal location on both in my mind.

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Servicibility wasn't on their mind when the diff was being installed. What a stupid thing to change oil on. Lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm about to change all my fluids next weekend. . . .sounds like I need to go to Harbor Freight and get a set of metric allens already in sockets. . . .not sure what their called, but it sounds like a better idea than cutting an allan wrench and stuffing into a socket. . . .

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
PITA big time, I was finally able to get mine out with a 1/4" universal joint, 5mm bit, stuffed into a 1/4" socket. The 3/8" Allen socket I had didn't fit where it needed to go. Bad engineering fo sure!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Used a 5 mm bit that you normally stick in a screw driver with bits. Used an open end and, with a few short strokes and flips of the open end, the oil drain plug came out. Did make a mess on the pan though. Nothing a little soap and water didn't take care of after the job was complete. What are people using to drain the front, without taking off the skid plate?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
hey vegas, where abouts in Henderson are you and which maverick you have. Im here in the valley to. as to changing rear diff, I did it all in under 15 mins with no real issues. I thought the front one took longer.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts