Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Hoping to get some help here.

I was changing my rear diff fluid and when I went to loosen the drain plug, it was tight. I'm assuming it somehow got cross-threaded as I was removing it. Now it will not hold a torque and will not tighten at all. I managed to remove it again and I'm assuming I need to re-thread the hole somehow.

Is it possible to re-tap it with something like this from Amazon?

I'm assuming the rear diff is aluminum. Any advice is appreciated.

Liquid Automotive lighting Cosmetics Fluid Rectangle

·
Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Good luck, you may get away drilling and tapping it one size larger but you might run out of flat area for the seal to make contact and be leak free.

time to order new cases

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck, you may get away drilling and tapping it one size larger but you might run out of flat area for the seal to make contact and be leak free.

time to order new cases
I see what you're saying. Looks like the factory plug is slightly indented. Damn. Not what I wanted to hear. Since the factory thread is 17mm, I'd have to go for an 18mm which Amazon doesn't even stock so I'm just looking for some other ideas. Is is even possible to try and rethread with a M17 kit and hope for the best? UGH

·
Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Once the treads are messed up and you chase the thread with a tap you remove some of those threads and your plug will never have the same strength.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Post pics of what the male and female threads look like.

Drain plugs don't see huge torques or forces, so cleaning up the threads MIGHT be an option... but before you do anything potentially destructive, post up them pics.

·
Premium Member
14,116 Posts
You could try. Right now, you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Try the tap, if it takes it great. If it doesn't, case time. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Post pics of what the male and female threads look like.

Drain plugs don't see huge torques or forces, so cleaning up the threads MIGHT be an option... but before you do anything potentially destructive, post up them pics.
Well, I'll have to describe it because I took off the plug and put it back on as straight as possible. It seems to be pretty snug and I'm not seeing any leaks so I'm going to let it be for now.

The male threads looked good. It did not look like any of the threads on it were stripped. The threads on the diff were a different story. They were definetely cross threaded and a piece of thread came off so I know that is the problem.

My worry is that it is snug, no leak, but what are the chances that it can "back off" on it's own? I went for a spin and it still held pretty good but I'd really like to remove it again, and try to re-thread it.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
501 Posts
Well, I'll have to describe it because I took off the plug and put it back on as straight as possible. It seems to be pretty snug and I'm not seeing any leaks so I'm going to let it be for now.

The male threads looked good. It did not look like any of the threads on it were stripped. The threads on the diff were a different story. They were definetely cross threaded and a piece of thread came off so I know that is the problem.

My worry is that it is snug, no leak, but what are the chances that it can "back off" on it's own? I went for a spin and it still held pretty good but I'd really like to remove it again, and try to re-thread it.
Dude that sucks. I wanna say leave it be if it’s holding but I personally would never be comfortable in that situation. I’d have to pull it and make it right. I guess you could just run it the way it is until the off season when you have time to do it right. Everything’s probably on back order at the moment anyway..
Just please don’t forget about it and end up selling to some other poor sap. Would really suck to buy a used buggy and be stoked to change your gear oil, only to find that stripped out pan.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude that sucks. I wanna say leave it be if it’s holding but I personally would never be comfortable in that situation. I’d have to pull it and make it right. I guess you could just run it the way it is until the off season when you have time to do it right. Everything’s probably on back order at the moment anyway..
Just please don’t forget about it and end up selling to some other poor sap. Would really suck to buy a used buggy and be stoked to change your gear oil, only to find that stripped out pan.
Yeah it sucks but every problem has a solution right? Well, my temporary fix is not gonna do it. I'm not comfortable with that at all so I found something that will work. I'm not going to say what it is because I don't wanna jinx it but I'll update this thread in a few days. Wish me luck. And yeah, I would never try and offload my problem onto someone else. It's gonna be fixed right cause I'm keeping her lol

·
Premium Member
14,116 Posts
Yeah it sucks but every problem has a solution right? Well, my temporary fix is not gonna do it. I'm not comfortable with that at all so I found something that will work. I'm not going to say what it is because I don't wanna jinx it but I'll update this thread in a few days. Wish me luck. And yeah, I would never try and offload my problem onto someone else. It's gonna be fixed right cause I'm keeping her lol
Take your time, fix it. Good luck!

Reactions: LoneWolf72

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
501 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here's an idea, I've had good luck with jb weld.

That could work but I'd prefer a cleaner job. I'm considering a time-sert but don't want to tackle it myself unless I can't find anyone to do it. I considered doing an eco-plug (magnetic drain plug) until I read their warranty on off-road and I could never trust a magnet on an X3. So, if anyone knows someone in the Las Vegas area that does either time serts or heli coil repairs, let me know. Thanks.

By the way, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out the actual factory drain plug and drain bolt size. The head is a 17mm but I don't know what size the thread is which would determine the size kit I need. For example, is it a M17 or M14 or another size? Did not find anything in the tech manual.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Your searching is weak!!!

View attachment 272403
Not really. I actually found that doing a search after I posted. Lol. Anyway. The damn tool is $241 on Amazon. Guessing I gotta go m19 but not sure the bolt head will clear.

Anyway. Got a Dorman plug holding it together for now. Surprised no one mentioned these. Temporary but seems pretty snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looks good but that is a pretty course thread with all the vibration and harmonics of that area. Safety wire it to the skid plate at the minimum.

Dwayne

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts