Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brakes have serious uneven wear on both inboard pads.
The outside pads, at 1700 kms (1056 miles), have about 60%+ left.
The inside pads on both sides are worn at an angle and down to nothing at the upper end.
Dealer had never seen this before. (Maybe I asked the wrong guy)
Anyone else have this issue?
Any fixes while staying stock?

Oh, and the guide pins are totally seized on the right side. Taking the caliper in to a machine shop with my fingers crossed.
Murphy's law is killing me!!!!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Sounds like your caliper pins (the one that let the caliper float back and forth) are seized. Need to disassemble, clean, and reinstall with high temp grease or anti-seize.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your caliper pins (the one that let the caliper float back and forth) are seized. Need to disassemble, clean, and reinstall with high temp grease or anti-seize.
Thank you. Makes sense.
Couldn't get the guide pins out. Steel VS aluminum.
Machine shop is trying or else its a $280 caliper.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Plenty of good used ones way cheaper than that on ebay if it comes to that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the machine shop was successful getting the pad bolt/pins out.
I checked the caliper pins on both rear brakes and they were perfectly fine and sliding easily.
I think the problem is that there are only two guides and they are in the middle and at one end. If you put the slightest uneven pressure on the plate it binds.
Can't see any other good explanation.
Still curious to know if anyone else has had this issue on the X3 or any Maverick (same caliper?).
May have to go aftermarket. Suggestions?

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's a pretty poor design on the placement of the guide pins. My right rear just broke the collar that rides on the center pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts