Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 Maverick X3 XDS with approx 3500 miles on the unit. On our last outing under hard acceleration I heard a loud pop. My first instinct was broken belt, but then realizing it was still moving under power I was like well what is it. The guy behind me yelled and said hey your right rear isn't pulling. I winched to a tree and lifted the right side enough to free spin the wheel to check the axle. The axle is solid from the hub to the trans but would spin freely still. So I figured it was broken in the trans. Loaded up and headed home. So I pulled it in the other day to tear down and replace the axle. Upon tearing it down I pulled the axle and it was complete. No breakage. It looks like IMO that the splines have stripped. Like I said the unit has 3500 miles on the original rear axles. Has anyone had this issue before. I am going to replace both rear axles tomorrow. I had already purchased 1 stock rear axle and ordered the other now. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow and I can install both. But my worry is the spool that is in the tranny. Just just reaching out to the group.

Thanks,
JMAC

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a 17 Maverick X3 XDS with approx 3500 miles on the unit. On our last outing under hard acceleration I heard a loud pop. My first instinct was broken belt, but then realizing it was still moving under power I was like well what is it. The guy behind me yelled and said hey your right rear isn't pulling. I winched to a tree and lifted the right side enough to free spin the wheel to check the axle. The axle is solid from the hub to the trans but would spin freely still. So I figured it was broken in the trans. Loaded up and headed home. So I pulled it in the other day to tear down and replace the axle. Upon tearing it down I pulled the axle and it was complete. No breakage. It looks like IMO that the splines have stripped. Like I said the unit has 3500 miles on the original rear axles. Has anyone had this issue before. I am going to replace both rear axles tomorrow. I had already purchased 1 stock rear axle and ordered the other now. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow and I can install both. But my worry is the spool that is in the tranny. Just just reaching out to the group.

Thanks,
JMAC
If the splines are stripped on the axle you have a chance. But ive heard of the internal splines striping and the you have to remove the trans and break it down to change it. Check first before installing a new axle.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
531 Posts

Thanks,
JMAC
I wonder how much metal shavings are left behind and if you should try and suck them out with a shop vac?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this video and it was great. I'm more than likely going to replace the gear/spool also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the splines are stripped on the axle you have a chance. But ive heard of the internal splines striping and the you have to remove the trans and break it down to change it. Check first before installing a new axle.
Definitely going to fully inspect it. But I am more than likely going to replace the gear/spool also. For good measure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Guys,
Do you know if those splines are covered under the extended warranty.
Pretty sure that is what is broke on mine at 5,900 miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told on mine that it is considered a wear item by the warranty company. So I just replaced the 2 axles and I am replacing the final drive gear soon. I ordered the gear but it was back ordered at that time. I need to see if its available now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was told on mine that it is considered a wear item by the warranty company. So I just replaced the 2 axles and I am replacing the final drive gear soon. I ordered the gear but it was back ordered at that time. I need to see if its available now.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Your warranty company lied to you . The helical gear in the trans is not a wear item. Usually strips around 3-4K miles. 4 in our group has had it happen. Mine just happened 4th of July wkend with 2800 miles . It’s getting fixed under warranty . If it does happen you can put 2 new rear axles in and it will work for awhile. Both splines axle and helical gear wear and then that’s when it happens. Mine stripped 7 miles into ride on that Friday. Drove back pulled axles and put new oem back in and rode the rest of the wkend .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts