Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first off I've been through the thread below for Communication Radios about 4 times.
http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/20-can-am-maverick-accessories/1770-communication-radio-s-12.html
I'm pretty certain I'll be going with the Kenwood like Glamisfan and doing the diode mod to get vhf freqs. I'm interested in antennae stuff like how did you guys mount them and what type did you get. I really don't want a long or fat antennae so I'm hoping there are some that will work with my needs. Since I'm just looking at using this for rec riding and not racing out in the desert anything over 2 miles range is just a bonus. I'd also like to not have to mount it above the roof line since I hit lots of low hanging branches so if I mounted it somewhere like on the harness bar how much would that degrade the signal and range? Also all those low hanging branches mean I do ride in the forest and since all those trees degrade signal distance I guess thats something to take into account.
Also will need an adapter cable to connect to my Rugged Radio RRP500 comm box. I think Glamisfan listed the one that he ordered but never stated if it wound up working or not. Hope you're reading this GF or I will be sending a PM on that point. Not sure if there are any other cables I need to get other than antennae cable.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup, that cable works perfect. You'll need a push to talk button/harness for your intercom too. There are two types of antennae, one that needs metal under it, and one that doesn't. Sounds like you'll want the one that doesn't.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Oh, and I believe it is a 2 meter antenna. But when you order it, ask the people for the proper antenna for that radio.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The antenna should run you about 40 bucks. The modification is free. And the push to talk button is $25-$40. And the harness to adapt to the radio is I think 60 bucks!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply GF. I've got the PTTs sitting in a box somewhere for over a year now and should be able to find them. When you connect the CJ-KEN M TM261 patch cable, does that plug into the front of the radio where the mic would go and then a 3.5mm plug into the ext speaker port on the back?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn that's a lot of post in a row!
No kidding! I'm busy typing a reply and when I come back you've put up 5 more posts to my 1.

Got some more research now anyhow. Thanks for all that info.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
i just bought another Rugged Radio HX370 for my toys. The handheld from rugged is already programmed and works pretty much line of sight or 2-5 miles max. The only bad thing about the handhelds is charging them, you have to wire up an inverter to charge through the base or carry an extra battery.

Max if you want to try one out i have an extra one and a cord you can borrow and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Thanks for the reply GF. I've got the PTTs sitting in a box somewhere for over a year now and should be able to find them. When you connect the CJ-KEN M TM261 patch cable, does that plug into the front of the radio where the mic would go and then a 3.5mm plug into the ext speaker port on the back?
Exactly.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just bought another Rugged Radio HX370 for my toys. The handheld from rugged is already programmed and works pretty much line of sight or 2-5 miles max. The only bad thing about the handhelds is charging them, you have to wire up an inverter to charge through the base or carry an extra battery.

Max if you want to try one out i have an extra one and a cord you can borrow and see if it works for you.
Appreciate the offer but it's that whole battery charging issue that is the reason I'm going full in on a mobile set. I've dealt with dead batteries on my GPS for enough years that I'm not going down that road on my radio.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey GF. Just wondering how your system works with the push to talk and VOX. When you use just VOX do you transmit over the radio or does it just talk to your passenger? Need to know if/how communication is separated from transmitting vs talking to passengers. Hoping that only PTT allows radio trasmissions.
RR has a big sale but I'm still thinking I'll go with Ham Radio Outlet, they have a store here in PHX so I can go in and talk to them. Not likely I'll mention 'breaking' the radio though but maybe they can tell me why the frequency range is so narrow. Specs show TX from 144 -148 MHz but RX is 136-174 MHz. The RX is about the same as the Vertex 2200 from RR. Anyhow, they should be able to set me up with a good antennae and cable while I'm there since they'll have more to select from than RR.

Everyone else, how are you mounting your antennae? Could use some pictures for ideas because I really don't want it on top since the trees in the forest will be hard on it!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup, you got it all right. The VOX works great for talking to your passenger. And the push to talk is only when you want to use the race radio to talk to another vehicle. Also, I'm using fully enclosed helmets and don't notice any wind noise because they're enclosed of course. People with head sets might want to get noise canceling chip. I don't know, I have no experience with it. And when you buy this Kenwood radio, it will receive on all the frequencies. You have to break the little diode or whatever inside to unlock the transmit on the higher frequencies. One other thing, you can program all the frequencies and name them the same that the regular race radios have preinstalled in them. The instructions say how to do it. If I think of it I'll post up what pages have the exact instructions to do it.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Why not just wire in the 12v adapter so it will stay charged in the cradle from you ride's stator? The battery would just be a backup if you wanted to operate out of the car.

EDIT: I see now that you must use the charging base to power this up......Guess that enables it to be watertight?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, you got it all right. The VOX works great for talking to your passenger. And the push to talk is only when you want to use the race radio to talk to another vehicle. Also, I'm using fully enclosed helmets and don't notice any wind noise because they're enclosed of course. People with head sets might want to get noise canceling chip. I don't know, I have no experience with it. And when you buy this Kenwood radio, it will receive on all the frequencies. You have to break the little diode or whatever inside to unlock the transmit on the higher frequencies. One other thing, you can program all the frequencies and name them the same that the regular race radios have preinstalled in them. The instructions say how to do it. If I think of it I'll post up what pages have the exact instructions to do it.
That's great, glad the transmitting works as I had hoped. I've already skimmed through the manual online and saw the instructions on preprogramming and naming so I'll be set for that. Lots of capabilities to learn. I like the thought of scanning and I would imagine the Vertex units have that ability also. Have you ever had any issues with battery life if you're just sitting around playing with the radio? Seems like it could be a heavy draw if you run it at full power. Do the LEOs at the dunes run freqs you can scan? They'd probably need 20 channels on the big weekends!
As far as headset use goes, my setup works really good. Quality headsets probably have a lot to do with it. Once I installed a windshield the wind quit 'keying' the VOX. Trying to find a cheap set of speakers and mic to install in a pair of helmets for my annual Glamis trip over New Years. Don't want to invest to much since that's about the only time I plan to use the helmets.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I doesn't use much power just sitting there. Only when you transmit. For helmets, get the ones that work with headsets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From my personal experience the vertex with a quarter ave antenna and headsets work great lots of range and plenty of frequencies. Mine s VHF and we use them a couple times a week. Minimal wind noise and very clean install. I would recommend ruggedradios and if you hurry they have a sale tomorrow at noon I believe. I would highly recommend the DSP chip and noise filter for the power wires.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GF, did you buy any special antennae? Also, about how long is your antennae? I'm planning to head to Ham Radio on the other side of town to pick up the radio and antennae tomorrow. Wll likely stop by UTV Inc next week to get their antennae mount for the roll cage. And my jumper cable from Rugged Radio came in last week. Have a couple of ideas for mounting the radio under the dash avove my right knee. Should be on the air before long.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Just tell them you want an antenna for that radio. It's a 2 meter or 2M antenna. And mine's about 2 1/2 or 3 feet long.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts