Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Rattle (can of rocks?)

6474 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  partsman
I remember seeing a reference to this, mine started yesterday. Not the 5k clutch rattle, something different.

1000 miles, only hear it at slow speeds, slight turn. Sounds like a bunch of gear parts rattling around behind me somewhere.

Where should I start looking? I've never messed with the carrier bearing or driveshaft.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I remember seeing a reference to this, mine started yesterday. Not the 5k clutch rattle, something different.

1000 miles, only hear it at slow speeds, slight turn. Sounds like a bunch of gear parts rattling around behind me somewhere.

Where should I start looking? I've never messed with the carrier bearing or driveshaft.
I’d look for a can or plastic bottle wedged against a driveshaft - mine was an empty San Pelligrini bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reactions: 2
exhaust pipe heat shield can make lots of racket
check both clamps
Reactions: 1
The flanges that the bolts for the spark arrester cap like to break and can make your engine sound like its got a rod knock
Not sure if the same thing I hear on mine as well as others with the same machine which I haven't pinpointed?

It's a bunch of clattering coming out of the ass end. I hear it much more when driving on asphalt in the staging area with paddles or when decelerating coming down a dirt hill with Bighorns....
Just pull the 3bolts that hold the cover on the tail pipe or just grad it (when cold) and see if it will wiggle mine and every one of my friends with the x3 have a cracked tab on the mount, where its welded to the tail pipe
Drive shaft splines need to b greased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mine has a rattle when I select two wheel drive. It goes away in 4wd
Thanks I'll check the exhaust and look into greasing the driveline.
Sounds like the clutch. There are some "orings" that wear out. Checkout the KWI 500 mile service kit. My clutch is making the same noise. It is especially bad when I am backing up out of the garage.
Mine sounds like the tamborines of hell.
Driving in and out of shop I noticed it in the back end like it's the axles slapping back and forth????
Any body fix this my 21 does this right around 4800-5400 rpm’s it rattles something fierce. I removed all the heat shields clamped the muffler springs greases main drive splines still there machine is loud and that’s fine but this rattle is annoying.
100% normal and is from the clutch

look up clutch rattle or clutch noise/chatter
You can buy a kit that blocks off the vent behind your head. A lot of clutch noise thru that vent
You can buy a kit that blocks off the vent behind your head. A lot of clutch noise thru that vent
Still curious as to why the designers thought that opening was critical to be Right There perfectly directed like a megaphone at ear level for the driver !?!

Everyone seems to close it off that doesn't want the extra noise, and the amount of air going into the prefilter is not inhibited in any way for excessive flow with its design.
The kit has a grate that you install on the back side of the prefilter cover. That supposed to make up for blocking the one behind your head.

I recommend some sort of noise canceling head phones because they rattle like hell, but what a ride!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts