Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we keep our mav in a under a covered shed but no walls because we don't have a proper garage yet and rats ate a wire and broke my mav i have no idea what to do other than rat poison

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok here's the deal, get a couple of bars of Irish Spring bath soap (Irish Spring is key!) cut open both ends of the box & lay them in the area of concern, leave them in there box. Depending on weather might need to replace every couple months.

Let me know how it works for you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
OK, I will bite...how does this fend off rats?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
12 gauge with buckshot. That will get rid of them. Lol no seriously i have no clue but poison. Never heard of the soap trick before.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I guess there is more to the saying "Dirty rats"...they must hate soap.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Found the soap trick amusing, so I did a little research.......

What Doesn't Work

• Poison Bait — Poison bait is rat food. If you want to attract birds, you put out bird food. Putting out rat poison attracts rats. They may eat the poison and die or they may collect it for their food stores. All poisons take 5-10 days to work, so even if the rat dies there is still plenty of time to do damage and “mark” your vehicle as an excellent nesting site. In most areas, there are too many rats and they breed too quickly to ever be poisoned to oblivion. In addition, bait boxes (required by law for bait used outdoors!) provide perfect places for rats to hide in and leave more of their scent. Worst of all, as the rats get sick, they are easy targets for predators. The poison in the rat’s system may also kill the very animals that eat the rats, particularly hawks and owls. See the Problems with Poison page for full details.

• Light Placed Under the Car — A light under the car is minimally effective since the rats quickly go up into the dark engine compartment. It is far more effective to open the hood and hang a light from the hood lighting up the entire engine compartment.

• Moth balls — Under NO circumstances should moth balls be used as a pack rat deterrent. They are both hazardous to human health and EPA regulated against use of this type.

• Ultrasonic devices — Rats will nest near, next to and even on top of ultrasonic devices.

• Commercial repellent sprays — Pack rats ignore them.

• Potato flakes — Pack rats will not actually eat the flakes, swell up and die.

• Ivory or Irish Spring soap — The smell does not bother pack rats and if they eat the soap it will not harm them.

• Dryer sheets — The smell does not bother pack rats.

• Predator urine — (bob cat, wolf, cougar, human or otherwise) The smell does not bother pack rats.

• Gum — Pack rats will not eat the gum, choke and die.

• Pepper/chili powder — Pack rats love chili seeds and the powder does not bother them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You know guys I don't know, Irish Spring is key. Our parts dept stocked for a couple seasons as we had a rodent infestation at a Mercedes dealer & it cut or issues in half along with the hired help that was coming by weekly. What do you have to loose?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I heard of the Moth ball trick which was listed as a no no. So it must be good.

Reactions: CrazyCooter

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Enlarge your front door and park the Mav in the living room....issue solved :nerd:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Unless the rat is inside the Mav when it gets parked inside!
haha...didn't think of that......reminds me of the squirrel in the christmas tree on the National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Reactions: CrazyCooter

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
lol

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
2 ways here. Peppermint. Sold at local hardware stores for this purpose. And another way and very effective, peanut butter and elax mixed together. They keep shitting until they dehydrate and die. Yes it works. Done it to skunks before. Be very careful if you have other pets. Then there is this,

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Maybe an enclosed trailor.....a port city like yours (Mobile,Savanna,Houston ) have rats by the millions. You would need rat poison or glue traps by the truck load. Good luck

·
Registered
317 Posts
A cat or some sticky traps with food on them. We don't get rats but I had a family of mice in the garage. Put out a few sticky traps on their access trails with a little peanut butter in the middle and the problem was solved in 2 days. Caught 12 in 48 hours. Find out where they are getting on your mav at and put them there. I had a bird that kept making a nest on top of my garage door opener. I would take it down and within a day he would start building again. I threw a sticky trap up there and the bird is gone now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use moth balls, well actually the moth cakes that are in the little hanging thing. I hang them in my trailer when not in use, I hang them in the engine area of my tractors, even hang them in the feed room of my barn. The lavender ones smell a little better than the regular ones but still work well. I have been using these since 1995 with great results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts