Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our 2020 X3 max for three months now. Everything has been great until it went in for some break warranty work. We picked it up from the shop and stopped at a gas station about a mile away. We filled the tank and drove another mile and started getting random misfires in all three cylinders. We drained the gas and put new gas in and still having the same problem. It seems to get worse the warmer it is outside, and at 40-55mph.

I have been looking all over online and have not seen anything similar. I thought it might be a pinched fuel line but looked it over and found nothing. The service shops in my area are over a month booked out so I am trying to figure it out myself instead of waiting. Any advice on what to check would be great.

The missfires do not happen at idle. The check engine code will come on for any cylinder, a combo of cylinders, or all cylinders. If I let the machine idle in the driveway it will clear the engine light. Turn it off and back on and I can drive it another mile or two until I get to 40-55mph and it throws a code again.

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got a P0301 p0302 and p0303 all at once or one at a time, then it would go into limp mode, It would only happen when I would hit over 50MPH I would turn of the car and let it sit for a while and the check engine light would go away and it would be able to drive it for a while, if I came right a complete stop and then got on it and went over 50 I would get the check engine light again and it would go into limp mode, contacted the dealership I bought from they told me to change my belt, luckily I had an extra and it worked, haven’t had an issue since, but from researching the issue here some people have had bad fuel or grounding issues or to much anti-seize in the spark plugs, I’d check those things out first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a P0301 p0302 and p0303 all at once or one at a time, then it would go into limp mode, It would only happen when I would hit over 50MPH I would turn of the car and let it sit for a while and the check engine light would go away and it would be able to drive it for a while, if I came right a complete stop and then got on it and went over 50 I would get the check engine light again and it would go into limp mode, contacted the dealership I bought from they told me to change my belt, luckily I had an extra and it worked, haven’t had an issue since, but from researching the issue here some people have had bad fuel or grounding issues or to much anti-seize in the spark plugs, I’d check those things out first.
That is interesting. I thought that it might be the belt vibrating causing a missfire code that wasnt real. I checked my belt and it still looked new. No flat spots or knicks. What did your belt look like when it came out? I have a new belt on hand I should have just changed it when I was in there.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Check the spark plugs and coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is interesting. I thought that it might be the belt vibrating causing a missfire code that wasnt real. I checked my belt and it still looked new. No flat spots or knicks. What did your belt look like when it came out? I have a new belt on hand I should have just changed it when I was in there.
The belt looked good, didn’t notice anything on it either so I was very skeptical but it was worth a shot and it worked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The belt looked good, didn’t notice anything on it either so I was very skeptical but it was worth a shot and it worked.
Guess I know where I am starting. Also going to look at the plugs and connections but the worst case is nothing is fixed and I still have a spare belt.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3 months, should still be under factory warranty.
It absolutely is. If I can fix it myself without having to wait a month to get it checked out I am down to do that. I would rather have it on the trail than have the repairs be free. If I cant figure out what Is wrong I have an appointment to get it in at the end of August.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Look for a kinked fuel vent line on the rear drivers where the tube enters the frame.

Don't let the dealer work on it they don't know squat unless they have a guru that really knows these. They know how to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.......
Find a good SXS performance shop if needed, warranty should cover it as long as they are certified mechanics.

Here's a link that if you read through it all will go over about all the different things that should be looked at.

After $4500 worth of wasted parts thrown at it from the original dealer paid for by the extended warranty company, mine ended up being a simple $50 wastegate actuator solenoid.....go figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I owe you a beer my friend. It most definitely was the belt. I dont know how or why the belt I took out looked brand new, but it was the belt.

She is running well and smooth. Thank you everyone for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look for a kinked fuel vent line on the rear drivers where the tube enters the frame.

Don't let the dealer work on it they don't know squat unless they have a guru that really knows these. They know how to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.......
Find a good SXS performance shop if needed, warranty should cover it as long as they are certified mechanics.

Here's a link that if you read through it all will go over about all the different things that should be looked at.

After $4500 worth of wasted parts thrown at it from the original dealer paid for by the extended warranty company, mine ended up being a simple $50 wastegate actuator solenoid.....go figure.
I had not even thought of a performance shop. I honestly have hated every can-am dealership I have interacted with. No one ever seems to know what they are talking about in regards to anything. I would have rather they sent my my x3 in a box and let me put it together myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I owe you a beer my friend. It most definitely was the belt. I dont know how or why the belt I took out looked brand new, but it was the belt.

She is running well and smooth. Thank you everyone for the help!
Glad I could help brotha! I’m glad it was nothing serious because I know people in here have struggled to find a soothing to that problem but happy your issue was resolved.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I had my car go into limp on my last run at the coast, check engine, P301, P302, P303.
Stopped and shut the engine off. Started back up, hit the throttle and BANG!

There went the belt....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts