Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for some reason my CVTech initial engagement has gone down, and at 1500 RPMs the secondary was turning and I couldn't shift. So after a little research I saw someone mentioned that you can shim it. They didn't say where to shim it, but I figured that they meant to shim the primary spring to give it a little more tension. So I pulled mine apart, and figured out to add a washer in between the one-way bearing and the spring seat. I had a 1 inch washer, and I threw it in the lathe and opened up the hole to 1.1 inches so it would slide on the inner sheave shaft. Now it shifts perfect, and it looks like it engages at around 1900 or 2000 RPM. I drove down the street and it was still hitting 8000 RPM. I just need to see if my TopSpeed is still good or if I need to do something else.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It's kind of like your spring lost some of it's tension. Glad the shim seems to work. Whats the thickness of the washer? I'm curious as to how much that will change the finish rate of the spring. I want to go up to a 1017, from a 1016 on the primary, and maybe go to a KSS blue secondary spring.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had the same problems. Went down the same road ur goin down...tried everything just couldn't get it rite.... Would still always spin the secondary... The spring that ywids best result for stock tires is the 1016. The stall is just a bit low tho... Went to the 1021 I believe it had same finish rate but stall was too hige for any crawling. Finally gave up....

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Thats cool. No more problem shifting the trans now. Post up what, if any changes you see in your top end.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't have a CVTech but to do this on a QSC you use a shim as well but it is 0.067" and raises the RPM's about 250 or so. So this sounds like it your shim is twice as thick and you see about twice the increase in engagement RPM….On the QSC, it didn't really have any effect on the rest of the shiftout. Hopefully you will see the same thing on the CVTech.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might go out for a ride tomorrow to see how it does. If not then I'm going to Glamis for sure next Saturday. That'll also be the first time I get to use my paddle tires! W00t w00t!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I might go out for a ride tomorrow to see how it does. If not then I'm going to Glamis for sure next Saturday. That'll also be the first time I get to use my paddle tires! W00t w00t!
Still can't get over the difference in seasons…..mine is wrapping up and yours is just about to start :smile:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing that info heavy. It's kind to cool to hear that the QSC can use a shim to do the same thing. And also that it didn't affect the top end.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, today was my first ride in four months. It was I think 88° for the high today, but at 9% humidity it felt like 80 according to the weather. But to me it actually felt like 72. Just absolutely perfect weather! And that's after four months straight of nothing but 100° plus!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks for sharing that info heavy. It's kind to cool to hear that the QSC can use a shim to do the same thing. And also that it didn't affect the top end.
Yea, I think they all work with about the same. It is just how they go about applying the weight to the sheaves is different between the brands….how many miles are on the clutch? Just wanted to keep that in the back of my head for if/when mine starts acting the same way I can compare it to yours….

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yeah, today was my first ride in four months. It was I think 88° for the high today, but at 9% humidity it felt like 80 according to the weather. But to me it actually felt like 72. Just absolutely perfect weather! And that's after four months straight of nothing but 100° plus!
Up here it was in the 90's a few weeks ago and now it is in the upper 30's at night! This weekend was beautiful….72' and sunny…..too bad my clutch is in the mail on the way back to QSC to have the one way swapped out with a 2 way bearing…..

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 600 miles on it. Late last winter I was riding in the dunes at night, and having a hard time navigating. I got stuck, and when I tried to put it in reverse, it wouldn't shift. I thought something was wrong with the trans or linkage. I think I turned it off and was able to get it in reverse. That was the first time I had a problem. Once I got out of the dunes it was working fine again. After that it got progressively worse. I wonder if getting it too hot that one time weakened the spring?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I ended up changing the springs on my snowmobiles every season because they would fatigue and start messing with the shifting……I assume these are subject to the same conditions. I will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was a lot easier to put it between the one bearing and the spring cup. You'd have to machine a washer on both id and od to fit in the cup. There's a little shoulder that prevents the cup or the washer from touching the one way bearing.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
O I see I thought that the cup had the shoulder not the bearing. Good post I have to do this to my cvtech this weekend mine is engaging at 1450 to1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What did yours start at? And how many miles do you have on it now? Like to figure out if there is a pattern as to the springs getting weaker and how many miles it takes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts